INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: I'm Back!!! (Story and Pictures added)  (Read 11800 times)

Offline Scott Gray

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I'm Back!!! (Story and Pictures added)
« Reply #80 on: August 14, 2005, 11:58:00 AM »
Great story telling Joseph. Good pictures too. Thanks for sharing.
BlackCreek Banshee 42 lbs@28

Offline yth-mnstr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: August 14, 2005, 01:50:00 PM »
Great pics and stories!  Thanks for sharing.
justin ammons

Offline Meathook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: August 14, 2005, 05:16:00 PM »
Sounds like an awesome trip.  Can't wait to hear the rest of it.  Also would love to see some video.
"Go ahead and run ya gotta sleep sometime." - Meathook's Mom

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: August 14, 2005, 06:37:00 PM »
Herb, I was going to do that as I get them mounted, I have the arrows that I shot them with also and I was going to put the broadhead with each one.
Al, I will put a picture of them in here on my next days off which are Tues - Thurs.
Meathook, I have all of the shots on film except #2 on the Nyala and one other yet to be revealed.  Shortly in the future I was going to get all of my video burned onto a DVD.  When I do that I was going to put them on a DVD also and send it to Tom.
Calvin, the bow you and C-biz gave me was a big hit!
I will see if I can get this little adventure wrapped up tonight or tonight and tomorrow morning.  This is the most writing I have done since I was college and I haven't been there since 1998.  Thanks again everyone.  Joseph
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline Al33

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: August 14, 2005, 07:57:00 PM »
Quote: "This is the most writing I have done since I was college and I haven't been there since 1998."    :D    :D    "[laffsmyl]"

Take your time Joseph, I don't want this story to end.   ;)

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: August 14, 2005, 08:50:00 PM »
:wavey:    :wavey:  Good reading....Thanks  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  .....Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: August 14, 2005, 10:29:00 PM »
Joseph, what did the africans (PH) think of your stone & trade points? I know you were wondering if they'd even let you shoot the stone over there.
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: August 14, 2005, 11:04:00 PM »
Awesome story and pics....one of these days, one of these days...lol
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: August 15, 2005, 03:34:00 AM »
Doug, they were very interested in the stone points.  Unfortunately one of the Obsidian points was broke when I got there.  The other Osidian point and the fercylinite point where both lost to misses and I brought the Missouri Flint head back to use here.  They were impressed with the trade point because it really did a number on the Eland and was still sharp when they took it out of him. I will bring the pictures and video with me when I come down for the next Buffalo.
Day 10 - Antonie asked me if I would mind sitting alone for part of the day because he still had a lot of paperwork to do from the previous hunters.  That was fine with me and we left the next morning at 0800 to go to a blind.  It took 45 minutes to drive there and we never left the main property, it's a big place.  I got settled in and after about an hour I notice some movement back through the brush so I grab the binos and start looking.  It took a little while to figure out what I was looking at but I finally figured out that it was Cape Buffalo coming in to drink.  I am standing there thinking this is cool!  They told me when I first arrived that there was now a heard of Buffalo on the place at which time I replied that it would be col to see them because I had not seen any in the park.  They just kind of strolled in and started drinking and messing around in the water hole.  One of them kept sticking his nose under the water and blowing bubbles!  After 30 minutes of this they just start laying down in any available shade so now I have 9 buffalo bedded down around my blind and I start thinking that this isn't that great because nothing will come drink while they are hovering around the waterhole so I really dove into my book.  Along about noon as the sun had shifted the buffalo had lost there shade so they got up and moved 20 yards away to get back in it.  As soon as they moved a little ways away the monkey's showed up which is always encouraging.  At 1205 I notice 2 waterbuck cows coming in to the waterhole.  I was trying to look behind them to see if a bull was following when out stepped a Zebra from behind the big tree at the back edge of the waterhole.  They were just there all of the sudden which was kind of startling.  It ended up being  a stallion, 3 mares and a foal and they just sauntered right on in and started drinking.  Since I was by myself I have to run the camera to and I got it zoomed in as good as I could without having to move it then I took the shot.  Things got a little confusing then because everything stampeded away from the blind and 5 zebra and 9 buffalo can make a pretty good racket.  As the dust was settling all I could remember seeing was most of the arrow sticking out of the oppiste side.  A quick review of the tape shows that the shot was about 10 inches behind the shoulder crease and about 2/3's of the way up the side.  Not my best work but the penetration was good so I force myself to waite an hour to call.  Once I start calling it takes an hour for me to get someone on the radio and for them to show up.  While I was sitting waiting I heard Zebra's calling from back behind the waterhole in the direction that mine had ran.  When we went to where he had been standing the was good blood immediately and within 10 yards we found the front 22 inches of arrow laying on the ground completely covered with blood.  The most encourageing sign to me though is the fact that the blood we are finding hasn't run down the Zebra's side and drippeed off, it has been sprayed out side ways on to everything!  At this point they just take off on a fast walk, weaving through the thorn brush until, I'm guessing 400 yards later we round a bush and see this! The arrow went through the back of both lungs and cut the aortic artery that runs along the underside of the spine.

Now I did jump up and down and start yelling.  Everything I had read and been told by people who have a lot more experience at this than I do was to never count on getting a Zebra because they are one of the hardest critters there are to get a shot at with a bow.  I just take this as another sign that the Lord loves me and I must be doing something right in my life.       :knothead:        Either way I am not going to complain.  The rest of my day was spent watching drivers trying to push Warthogs past shooters in a section where they are trying to eliminate the pigs.  At the end of 3 pushes 4 pigs had been killed and 5 more had escaped.  It was kind of entertaining.  All I had left to look for now was a Warthog so later tonight I will let you know how that went and also go back to day 3 that i skipped over earlier.  Joseph
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: August 15, 2005, 04:16:00 AM »
i Think we should make a new rule that if a story takes more than two days to tell, the member gets BANNED!!! Joseph, man your killing me. I can't wait to read the rest..
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: August 15, 2005, 05:13:00 AM »
Chad do you work nights also?  It really wasn't my intention to drag this out but I don't type that fast and since I am doing this during lull's at work it has taken a little while.  I thought I was doing pretty good though seeing as how I have covered 9 days worth of trip in only 3 days of telling.  If I was Charlie or JSOG I would still be back on day 3 or 4  "[tunglaff]"  I'm going as fast as I can I still haven't even unpacked my bags except to do the dirty laundry and get the necessary toiletries.  Joseph

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: August 15, 2005, 05:35:00 AM »
Joseph, you take your time, I am loving this. One day I hope to go to Africa.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: August 15, 2005, 05:36:00 AM »
Joseph, you are doing great. Almost feel like I've been to Africa now. Keep going at your own pace. Nice zebra!

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: August 15, 2005, 05:59:00 AM »
Joseph, Your doing fine i was just giving ya a hard time. Yeah i work nights also.
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: August 15, 2005, 07:43:00 AM »
Don't you worry about that Jones fella... he gets all hyper thinkin about huntin... great story and will end way too soon.  :thumbsup:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline mike hall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: August 15, 2005, 07:45:00 AM »
Heck, if you could tell one story a day until deer season I'd be a happy man.
Love it!

Offline Carcajou

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: August 15, 2005, 07:54:00 AM »
Joseph~
Great story telling and congrats on all those fine animals! YOU DA MAN!!!  :notworthy:
" MEMBER ~ COMPTON Traditional Bowhunters "

"Searching through the remnants of my dream-shattered sleep"

Offline herb haines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: August 15, 2005, 08:02:00 AM »
Joseph thank you , really enjoying this .what breed of Zebra . is it the ones that have the shadow lines in the strip ? looking at the coloration .
when you get time why don't you sit down and write it all out and maybe it could be put in the articals section so we and relive it a few more times .-- herb
"Heaven is just over the next ridge......"

Hello Darlin'

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: August 15, 2005, 08:11:00 AM »
by the way... I'm leaving tomorrow and will be out of town hunting for the next month and a half.
Got 5 big game tags and have opportunity at several species of small game.... you think Joe is taking a long time with this? Just wait!!   :D
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline herb haines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: August 15, 2005, 08:40:00 AM »
Charlie you have fun .learned a while ago on your hunting posts to wait at least a week after they start to start reading then it only takes a couple more weeks before i get the whole story    :D    :D  . hard to wait that long but there is more than one way to skin a cat--- herb
"Heaven is just over the next ridge......"

Hello Darlin'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©