INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Team Javie '06  (Read 3461 times)

Offline B n Az

• Trad Bowhunter
Team Javie '06
« on: January 14, 2006, 02:43:00 PM »
Well it's that time again...Javie time in ole Arizonie.  The team is running a little light this year as the Texans are in abstentia.  This has already led to some major complications.  With Wingnut, our favorite chef missing, Terry has told me he's bringing all dehydrated meals.  I'm not doing anything that drastic...but the eats will not be the same.  I'm afraid Terry may become weak and under-nourished.  This could make him an easy target for the notorious Joe Javelina.  

Curt Brisky was planning to come but I think he had to cancel. Terry, the lucky dog, has all next week off of work and should have headed out this morning.  My wife is having her 40th birthday today and we're celebrating all weekend, so she told me.   :cool:  Since I have to work Monday and Tuesday, Terry's on his own until Wednesday, when my "little" brother and I will get there. When I say "little"...think like Ben or Kyle  ;)  

So...Terry has pitted himself against the wiley Joe ...one on one..mano a mano for for four days before reinforcements can arrive.
Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.

Offline Canyon

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Team Javie '06
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2006, 03:07:00 PM »
Good Luck to you guys. If you read the Mr Clean posts you know a few of us other Tradgangers already chased the little buggers. Dehydrated foods?? What is that boy thinkin? This is the desert and it just ain't right. The only dehydrated food I want to be eatin is backstraps after I let liquid out of a four legged mammal.
A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight;nothing he cares about more than his own personal safety;is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free,unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2006, 08:24:00 PM »
Bobby wish we could all be in camp this year but just didn't work out. You guys have fun and ambush some of those little stink pigs for all of us.

C'mon Terry...break that streak!
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2006, 09:06:00 PM »
Man Terry was talking crazy stuff last night.  Something about food in foil packages and backpacking for javies.  That's crazy!!  You need at least a trailer of stuff to hunt them critters.  Heck he don't even have a cook tent.

Man that is roughing it.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline B n Az

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2006, 12:03:00 AM »
Jim...yep been following that thread...you guys have been having a great December-January hunting seaon.  I'd like to share a camp with you guys someday. Especially if a certain story got to be told.

Mike/Mickey...you guys will be missed this year.  We'll try to hold up the teams reputation.  I have my laptop issues worked out this year so we should be able to post updates from camp.
Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.

Offline AZStickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 09:25:00 AM »
Well.... I headed up to Javie camp early Saturday Morning completing the 2 hour drive just as the sunrise was painting the desert with a warm glow..... I set up my new penthouse blind at the only water I could find during my scouting trip and waited for action   Birds would flock into the tank 100 or so at a time   they would drink for a bit then with a whirr of wings they would seek shelter in the trees and bushes around the tank   They looked like Christmas ornaments there were so many of them ...... Ahhh Christmas in the desert   After sitting for hours and seeing literally thousands of birds coming and going your mind starts to drift.... I was dreaming I was sitting in a blind looking over a waterhole in the heart of Africa when I heard the unmistakable sound of approaching footsteps...... and what should appear but a herd of Cape Buffalo.... "Black Death"   Now things are getting interesting.... Ok so maybe it was a herd of range cattle wanting to play Peekaboo   Kind of shows you how effective the blind was though.... These cattle won't normally let you get within 80 yards of em without spooking off..... After seeing the number of lion tracks in this area I can't say as I blame them for being skittish..... The rest of the day was uneventful except for a covey of qual that was too far out for a decent pic....... I broke the blind down after sunset and loaded everything into the truck and headed up the road to find a spot to spend the night...... I quickly set up my Kelty Backpack tent boiled some water and had some sweet and sour chicken..... I love backpack meals and I can boil water with the best of em... After a fairly good nights sleep (those backpack sleeping pads aren't near as cushy as when I was younger)The coyotes howling signaled the coming sunrise and I woke up to a breakfast of Pop Tarts..... It doesn't get any better than this.......... I headed out under one of the brightest full moons I'd ever seen and soon was at the edge of the Prickly pear flats where Mike and Mickey had killed their "Pig" (singular) last year...... I stood and listened as the sun crested the mountains to the east and the desert once again came alive...... about half an hour after sunrise I heard the unmistakeable sound of a Javie munching on Prickly pear and I slowly made my way towards him...... I was about 20 yards away from the munching Peccary but couldn't see him over the 3' high prickly pear.... I settled in to wait for him to make a mistake.... I could now hear some more pigs feeding as well..... about 15 minutes later I heard voices..... Man, I thought, I've been out in the desert too long... The pigs are talking to me.... But a few minutes later two quail humters crested the ridge to my right and strolled down into the pear flats.... I watched as 5 pig butts scurried over the ridge to my left.... The two Quail hunters were having a great morning strolling and talking...... As they passed 20 yards from me I learned that the one hunters brother was a great guy when he didn't have a beer in his hand... The other hunter was talking about how their newborn never slept for more than 4 hours and was so cute when he woke up..... Stretching and opening his eyes and smiling....Kinda warmed the cockles of your heart.....I decided to head up high and topped out on a far ridge about an hour later.... As I was climbing my stomach started a funny rumbling and by the time I hit the top Montezuma was extracting his full revenge.... For what, I have no Idea...... I left a trail a blind man could follow as I made my way the mile or so back to the truck..... I was experiencing the start of flu symptoms when I got back and decided to bail out and head home..... I broke camp quickly and took a parting look around and one last picture in the long shadows     and headed out for home........ I love bowhunting every outing is an adventure with lessons learned.... I believe that when it is our time to go what we take with us is our memories and what we leave behind is the memories we've given others.... Life is a treasure for sure..... Terry
"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it.".. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 09:45:00 AM »
Dang too bad you got sick.  It's the food I tell ya.  Any food that comes in foil packages and you just add water is. . .Poison.

Man I can't beleve it, I don't go for one year and he's eating poison and poptarts.  then wonders why he gets sick.

No GLOP for b'fast!!

Dang, gotta go build a bow to calm down.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2006, 09:52:00 AM »
Montezuma? Ouch. Better go home. CK

Offline '46

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2006, 11:03:00 AM »
No Mike to cook?...No Connie ta keep ya all line? Man you guys are headed for disaster, Joe will surely have his way with you this year    "[dead]"  

I miss not being there but it didn't work out. I'm still finding cacti quills from last year and havin nightmares about some ol' coot backin off the side of a dam in a yellow jeep with me in it.   :D
George
_------------->

Offline B n Az

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2006, 02:39:00 PM »
Terry...sorry you got sick...you know Mike's never gonna let up on the food thing   "[laffsmyl]"

Charlie and I should be headed down tomorrow morning after he gets off work .  We'll keep you posted...so to speak

Bobby

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2006, 02:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by '46:
No Mike to cook?...No Connie ta keep ya all line? Man you guys are headed for disaster, Joe will surely have his way with you this year     "[dead]"  

I miss not being there but it didn't work out. I'm still finding cacti quills from last year and havin nightmares about some ol' coot backin off the side of a dam in a yellow jeep with me in it.    :D  
LOL ahhh the memories!

So the javie were on the same prickly pear flat eh?

You have to move on those Javies Terry ..1 step ..freeze, look.1 step ...freeze look keeping your nose to the wind.

Hope you get a chance to get back on them

There was a small pond over by the Beehives to the left side of the road if you know where I'm talking about, just below a big silo of some sort
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline AZStickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2006, 03:48:00 PM »
Bobby..... The difference between Mike's way of eating and my way is he has to pack a trailer and I have to pack a Backpack....   :D   Those backpack meals have served me well for years on my annual Elk hunts I'm not changing now..... well except maybe if Mike is in camp cookin....    "[laffsmyl]"   George I'm not gonna ask where ya got stuck with them quills that they took a year to come out...... Mickey those pics were taken from the same tank you're talking about.... You and Dianne would have had a field day IDn birds..... Terry

Offline AZStickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2006, 12:05:00 PM »
I see Chortdraw got his Javie...Has anyone heard from Bobby??..... Terry

Offline '46

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2006, 02:05:00 PM »
And no ones heard a peep outta Joe either.   :D
George
_------------->

Offline AZStickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2006, 02:53:00 PM »
LOL..... Nope...

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2006, 03:56:00 PM »
where's the thread on Chortdraw?

Nevermind...found it!

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2006, 11:22:00 PM »
Hope Joe don't come on and tease again this year like he'd done in the past.  He sure played hob on James.

Ya know?  I don't think ol' Joe likes Rusty too much.    :eek:

Offline B n Az

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2006, 05:28:00 PM »
Sorry it has taken me so long to catch everyone up to date.  Work has been driving me crazy here lately but mostly I’ve been reflecting on the last 6 months and trying to decide what to share.  I’ve noticed the people it is easy to connect with on the Trad Gang are the ones that share the most of what’s going on in their lives.  You share their pain, happiness, excitement, success, failure and joy.  Work breaks don’t leave much time to do more than cruise a few threads of interest let alone post much.  I spend all day looking at computer screens so my wife, Darleen, tells me I’m not allowed to “stare at the box”  (computer) on weeknights and weekends.  But…I have decided to try share more this year as much as possible. It just might take a while.  :D  
The rest of this tale will actually recap a few months.  So…if your attention span is running short, the abbreviated version is “No animals were injured in the making of this story”.  Otherwise, check in once a while to see what happens next.  :)

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2006, 05:33:00 PM »
I know what you mean Bobby, I drive for a living and the last thing I want to do when I get home at night is to hop in the car and go somewhere.

Waiting breathlessly for the report...even if there are no bodies...I mean really isn't that NORMAL?   "[tunglaff]"

Offline B n Az

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2006, 05:35:00 PM »
Be nice Mickey...just because you and Mike share the only javie killed at this camp...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©