INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Moonlight Madness and meat  (Read 4084 times)

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Moonlight Madness and meat
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2004, 06:17:00 PM »
I was about to haul off the hide of Mr. Whitey and thought Id get a pic of the famed "fighting shield" that the big Boars carry. This fella is sporting at least an inch of cartlidge and grissle over his goodies.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2004, 06:44:00 PM »
Good pic CK, but one has to feel that shield with their own bare hands to understand what we archers are up against. It is indeed some formidable stuff. The closest thing I can compare it to is the hardness of a football players shoulder pads.As a matter of fact it would be much easier to shoot thru a shoulder pad than the shield on a big ol boar IMO.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Meathook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2004, 06:55:00 PM »
Niceun Mr. Kellar  

Ferret, just how many shoulder pads have you shot through?   :eek:
"Go ahead and run ya gotta sleep sometime." - Meathook's Mom

Offline Keener

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2004, 07:05:00 PM »
Where is this "shield" located on a boar?
I didn't know they had that.
Huh...learn something new everyday on this board.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2004, 07:26:00 PM »
well Meat we play the Browns tomorrow and if we are going to win I may just have to slip a little osage bow up into the stands and see ha ha

On the other hand I have probably killed a dozen boar hogs, one of them with a shield so hard and thick thick that I saw another archers (3) three bladed arrows bounce off of. It was impressive to say the least.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline herb haines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2004, 08:50:00 PM »
Curtis , sure a great pig . sorry for the loss of the other one was admiring the moon tonight . but a bit nippy for piggies here at the moment .

hope i can make as good a shot when the time comes , but will be great just to see some bunnies LOL  .time is ticking along ---- herb
"Heaven is just over the next ridge......"

Hello Darlin'

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2004, 09:44:00 PM »
Curtis,bummed about your loss and the arrow,that would have been really cool to have.Good to know your still thinking about it though.Figured you had long forgot about it.Looking forward to the next hog story and pics.

As a taxidermist I can tell you that the shield is "tough as hell".Imagine trying to thin that part of the skin to the same thickness as the rest of the skin for a mount.  :readit:    :help:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline herb haines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2004, 08:21:00 AM »
so for we who are just plain dumb !! is the white area shield or fat ? or is the shield the darker area under the white ?if it is the white area can some one loan be a couple of LAWS rockets for a pig hunt ?--- herb ain't never shot a wild piggy but i am going to
"Heaven is just over the next ridge......"

Hello Darlin'

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2004, 08:30:00 AM »
Herb, The shield is the full thickness you see from the hair to the thin layer of fat under the cape. It is extreemly tough! Like Ferret said about seeing arrows bounce off a big hog. It happens. I've had it happen several times. Sometime if the head sticks you can still see the ferrel on the head as the hog runs off with the arrow. Hence the importance in taking 1/4ing shots or at least close enough shots that you know you will hit the tiny sweet spot. The shield protects the shoulder but gets thinner right behind it. Gotta shoot tight. CK

Offline Hutch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2004, 08:56:00 PM »
Nice little piggy ya got there.  :eek:  
Been tryin to do some pig stickin myself, probly help if I could find the sneaky little critters. Anyway, wanted to ask about the bow your usin. I've been lookin at Jim Reynolds stuff for a little while now. Reckon when my uncle Sam sends me a check I'm gonna pick one up,either that or a diferent one, dunno just yet.
Once again nice pic.

Hutch  :thumbsup:
"Who STOLE the Little Delta Bows life??? terry green."

Offline BONES 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2004, 10:36:00 PM »
Nice one,I am hoping to chase a few now that i have settled in here in OK....

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2004, 10:59:00 PM »
Hutch,

Jim builds a very nice bow, and you won't find a more classy individual to do buisness with.

My choice this year was either build a few myself, or buy one from Jim.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Many Arrows Lost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2004, 02:58:00 AM »
Curtis,

Very educational. Thanks for posting pics of the shield I've heard folks talk about.  I've never seen a wild hog in my life, but I sure hope to someday.  

KT
Athens, Illinois

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2004, 12:52:00 PM »
DAAAAAANNNNNGGGGG! Go away for a couple of days and you go an kill nuther hawgzilla . You say that other feller has 6" an a hunert pounds on this one? So tell me Curtis, how do you keep yerself from clankin when you walk....cause you got steel huevos huntin a hog that big by moonlight!  :bigsmyl:  

Real nice pig, great pic of the shield too.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2004, 01:28:00 PM »
Yep, 6" and about 75# bigger is a good guess. Im going back after him again this evening before the moon plays out. I located the big boar yesterday about a half mile from my house. As usual, the hogs had put themselves in a Cockelburr patch where an ambush is all but impossible. Hogs should be illegal. The fun is just toooo much.

Clank when I walk? No No, my friend. I sound like luke-warm jello. The big boys will make you go jelly legged and spinless real quick!!! The whole experience is surreal. Moonlight, squeeling, hog musk at nose end and constant flurry of motion. Just don't get any better! Hopefully I'll follow up this evening with pics. CK

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2006, 09:58:00 PM »
Well, while I was doing my routine prunning off the back end.......I ran into this thead.  I figured out how I missed it......I was in Disney World that week/that year chasing Capt Hook.

Better late than never.

Congrats Curtis!!!!!!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Tx Longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2006, 10:39:00 PM »
Congratulations on the hog, that is one awsome trophy!!!

Offline NorthShoreLB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2006, 06:27:00 AM »
INSANE !!!!!

that bugger looks like a bear.

gotta go back check the pics.

.....GREAT
"Almost none knows the keen sense of satisfaction which comes from taking game with their own homemade weapons"

-JAY MASSEY-

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2006, 06:48:00 AM »
Man, I saw this one at the top and thought I needed to refresh the computer. You were definitely in some archives. Great memory for sure!  :thumbsup:

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2006, 07:50:00 AM »
Nice hog, did you get the other big piggy yet?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©