INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Tuesday morning gobbler - My 1st turkey with a bow!  (Read 3198 times)

Offline NCRecurve

• Trad Bowhunter
Tuesday morning gobbler - My 1st turkey with a bow!
« on: May 03, 2006, 12:10:00 PM »
If I'm dreaming, please don't pinch me.  

One of my lifelong hunting goals was to kill a turkey with a bow and arrow.  I've never really considered that to be very obtainable but this morning that dream became a reality.  I called this bird in to about 30 yards Saturday morning but he didn't like something about it and would not come to the decoys.  He did jump up on a log and strut and drum for me.  Here is the post with questions from that hunt:

http://tradgang.com//noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=032676

I went back Tuesday morning, no gobbles to be heard even to the real owl that I got fired up.  I found a beautiful little knob on the end of a ridge where I believe the bird was gobbling from Saturday.  I set the blind up and took the time to brush it in.  I got the decoys out and everything finally set up by somewhere close to 7 am.  Before getting in the blind I called on the slate, nothing.  I called on my mouth call with the same results.  I did a fly down cackle on my mouth call and used my wing to simulate a hen flying down, more nothing.  I used the wing again to simulate another bird flying down.  I got in the blind and called on the box call, still a whole lot of nothing.  I just sat back to enjoy the morning and wait to see if the bird would show up.  At 7:22 he gobbled and the game was on.  I waited a couple of minutes and called on the box and he gobbled again.  I waited a couple of more minutes and purred on the slate even though my hand was shaking almost uncontrollably, he gobbled really close.  I got my bow up with the tip resting on the ground.  I saw him coming from my right, he strutted some and then walked down into a small swell.  I repeated to myself, hit 'em high, watch 'em die, hit 'em low, watch 'em go, let your pin settle.  This was to try and calm me and to remember what I needed to do for the shot.  He stopped in the swell and came out of strut and was looking at the jake decoy.  Please Lord let him come to the decoy this morning.  He stood there about 15 seconds and then broke into strut again and headed for the jake.  He got right in the jakes face, then circled a little to his side and was pushing up against him.  He was quartering slightly to my left.  At that point I decided I better not wait for a straight on shot because I was afraid he was going to attack or knock over the jake and the gig would be up.  He was slightly quartering to the left so I put the pin to the right of his beard and a little high, I let it settle.  I didn't even think about the shot, the practice paid off though as the arrow struck almost where I was aiming.  The bird started flopping and I decided to open the blind and get him.  As I came out of the blind and started to him he had regained his feet and I saw him start running for the bottom, I took off after him.  In hind sight I guess I was suppose to give him some time to go die but at that point I was out of the blind looking at him and my instinct to get him took over.  He still had the arrow in him which was hindering him so I was keeping him about 20 yards in front of me.  He stopped briefly and then started again but only went about 15 more yards before falling over, the Snuffer 125 gain broadhead had done it's job.  I stood there for a long time in disbelief, I had actually killed a turkey with a bow, a lifelong dream.  I reached for my phone to call the Mrs and share this moment with her but the phone was in my vest back in the blind, I called her shortly there after.  It was only after I was standing there that I realized the string tracker had indeed worked and the string went back to where we had come from.  Following the string later I stepped off 185 steps from the decoy to the bird.  I looked at my watch when I was washing the arrow off in the creek and it was 7:39.  Although I was in there before 6 AM, it was a flash hunt after the first gooble.  I had put the camera in my vest this morning so I took some pictures, packed up and then kicked back, ate a pack of poptarts and drank the last of now cold cup of coffee and just enjoyed the moment.  I packed the bird and the blind (about 36 lbs total) plus the rest of my gear the half mile or so back to the road.  What a great feeling, packing out a turkey.  The bird ended up being 21 lbs 14 oz, an 11 inch beard and 1 1/8 inch spurs.  I would have been happy with a jake.  He was the same bird I messed with Saturday as he had a distinctive gobble.

Thanks for taking the time to allow me to share this with you,
Doug

I would like to take a moment to thank those on this forum who shared their turkey hunting knowledge in "how to" posts this spring.  I know I would never have killed this bird without others sharing their expertise.

If you look close in the setup picture you can see the string from the tracker coming out the window to the right of center.

Offline Jumper

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tuesday morning gobbler - My 1st turkey with a bow!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 12:12:00 PM »
That is one GREAT tom Doug, Congratulations!
"With God, all things are possible"

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 12:13:00 PM »
very nice turkey, there...bud. Great job! He's a limb hanger!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Hunter John

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 12:18:00 PM »
Great pics and story you should be proud.

John
I am a man
and I can change
if I have to
I guess.

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 12:19:00 PM »
I know just how you feel. My first turkey with my bow was special as well and that's why it's in my avitar.

Congratulations!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 12:20:00 PM »
Great job!  Sounds like you did everything perfectly!  Bet he'll taste REAL good.
"He has also made me as a select arrow, He has hidden me in His quiver." - Isaiah 49:2

Offline bluegrassbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006, 12:41:00 PM »
Boy he's a good-un.
Congrats on your first of many......  :thumbsup:
"Life,Liberty & the pursue of deer & turkeys."

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2006, 01:02:00 PM »
Nice bird.  Great hunt.  Thanks for sharing.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline '46

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 01:11:00 PM »
Congrats on a awesome hunt.    :thumbsup:
George
_------------->

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2006, 01:12:00 PM »
Congrats!!!

Online Carcajou

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2006, 01:39:00 PM »
NOW THERE'S A LIMBHANGER!!!! SA-WEET!!!  :notworthy:
" MEMBER ~ COMPTON Traditional Bowhunters "

"Searching through the remnants of my dream-shattered sleep"

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2006, 02:00:00 PM »
YEA BABY! That's how you do it   :thumbsup:  

Nice bird!

Congrats   :notworthy:
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2006, 02:03:00 PM »
Congratulations on a great bird!!!

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline Butts2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2006, 02:22:00 PM »
Great story and photos
Schafer Silvertip 58" 61@28
Hunter Safety Certificate
Bowhunter Safety Certificate
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Associatio
Pope & Young Club

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2006, 02:23:00 PM »
Nice animal....quite the accomplishment with a stickbow.   :thumbsup:
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline David M. Mathis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2006, 04:26:00 PM »
Bingo!

Offline Stickbow98

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2006, 05:01:00 PM »
Congratulations! No success any sweeter than your first, and you nailed a real trophy as well!    :thumbsup:  

Great bird, great hunt & nice pics as well...Isn't it's amazing how much "luckier" you seem to be when you do everything RIGHT!   ;)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline duck'n

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2006, 06:18:00 PM »
Those are some nice spurs and a heckuva beard! Way to go.  I missed my first turkey with a bow this year so I am now on a mission.  He was a mature bird but not like yours.  Congrats.  Turkey hunting with a bow gets WAY under your skin doesn't it?

Offline Chortdraw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2006, 06:43:00 PM »
Great job and a good story. They taste better when you get them with a stick bow  :bigsmyl:  

Chort

Offline woodsman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2006, 07:13:00 PM »
Congrats a definite accomplishment.  

Don't you just love it when people say "you killed it with a longbow,
WOW!.. That's GOT to be really difficult"

Chris

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©