INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Texas or Bust!!!! Pig hunt in progress...  (Read 7789 times)

Offline tmccall

• Trad Bowhunter
Texas or Bust!!!! Pig hunt in progress...
« on: May 15, 2006, 06:22:00 PM »
Hello guys!  About a month ago I changed jobs, I got a handsome pay raise but have had to put in some pretty long hours lately, several 60 hour weeks.  I haven't posted much in the past few weeks, or even been able to check in on the gang...  

However, one of the conditions of my employment was that I would be allowed to go on a Texas pig hunt that I had already scheduled with my Dad, Wingnut, Jason and another hunting buddy.  My new employer stayed true to his promise and in a few minutes I'm hitting the road for Mesquite Bowhunting in Pearsall TX.  Mike and Jason are already there and have already called to report a pig strolling thru camp!!!

Myself, my Dad, and a hunting buddy, Mike Bingham, are hitting the road in a few minutes, we will drive all night and get there sometime tomorrow morning.  

One thing is sure, there's gonna be arrows in the air and, *hopefully*, pigs on the ground!!!!!!    There is no internet connection down in the boonies, but we will commence with the story telling this weekend!  See ya then....
Tony McCall

Jesus.  There is no other name...  Acts 4:12

Offline Mr.Vic

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Texas or Bust!!!! Pig hunt in progress...
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 07:20:00 PM »
Good luck TMC, slay em. Glad your still around!
“I am glad I will not be young in a future without wilderness.”
― Aldo Leopold

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 09:02:00 PM »
Good luck with Wingnut and Jason at Pearsall.  Had some rain lately so that should help.  Hope y'all get some meat.  Wingnut needs some if he's having his feed Memorial Day weekend.  Don't know if he is but in the past few years he has been most gracious and fed and "watered" many a tired, hungry and thirsty archer   :wavey:      :thumbsup:      :thumbsup:   ...Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 10:06:00 PM »
Have fun Tony..are you shooting one of the sticks you made?

Say Hi to Wingnut & Yellergnome for me and tell him that sleeping with the iron maiden sucks! (not talking about Dianne BTW)
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 08:22:00 AM »
TMC, hope yall have a blast!!!!!! Texas is such cool place!!! marco#78
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 06:53:00 PM »
Jason and I just rolled in from the hunt.  Tony and the crew will get home about 4 am if things go good.  We had a great time and a couple of guys took there first trad kills.

I'm going to milk this a bit to wait for the boys.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 08:08:00 PM »
 I'm going to milk this a bit to wait for the boys.  
:bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:  You always do that  :wavey:    :thumbsup:
I love this country ;-)

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 08:46:00 PM »
This place should be a dairy farm there's so much milkin going on!
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2006, 06:58:00 AM »
Ok, sorry about the milking comment.  Actually I just wanted to let Tony and the boys get home so they can help tell the story.

Jason and I went down a day before the Arkansas crew to get setup with the blinds and stands and scout things out some.  We also did a little hunting to pass the time.

After touring the property and seeing the huge amount of pig sign we decide on four locations for the two double bulls and the two mini ladders.
We have found that in the mesquite you can use the top section of the ladderstand and get about 6 feet up.  It puts you just over the white brush and still in the cover of the mesquite folage.  They look kinda funny but they are very effective.

We decide to let the blinds age a bit before hunting and hit a couple of ladders for the evening.  We both had action all evening but passed up everything that came in. . .. mostly high.

TIME OUT  gotta take connie to the airport.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2006, 07:03:00 AM »
DAIRY FARMER!

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2006, 08:16:00 AM »
Moooooooooooo........
"He has also made me as a select arrow, He has hidden me in His quiver." - Isaiah 49:2

Offline James Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2006, 08:22:00 AM »
Here we go again... Mike do ya use a three or four legged stool.. I prefer the four legged one myself.. I can sit more comfortabley when milking for long periods of time.. kinda like how long hti sthread is gonna last.  

MODERATORS: someone tell Wingnut there is only so much bandwidth for thread length.. we need a word counter and set a limit. LOL  "[heman]"  

James Young

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2006, 09:05:00 AM »
OK, I'm back from the airport.

Where were we?  OH yeah, evening hunt.  To preface the story, when we arrived the hunt manager told us he had too many piglets running around and need some removed if possible.  So they were bonus on top of the one pig a day limit.

The first night we spent in the stand was trying to help with the piglet problem.  Man they are quick and hard to hit.  I kept shooting over them no matter what I did.  It got frustrating in a hurry.  I think Gerald was just messing with us with the all we can get thing.  LOL

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2006, 11:10:00 AM »
The alarm goes off at 0500 the next morning and Jason and I roll out with anticipation.  We had seen at least 30 pigs apiece the night before and were going to wreck havoc this morning.

The wind had shifted 90 degrees overnight so we had to rethink the choice of blinds or stands.  Jason chose a stand about 80 yds from a waterhole that was getting a lot of use.  (area rule is not to hunt within 50 yds of water)

I took up position in an old ground blind on the back side of the area off of the feed route.  The land manager runs a corn spinner on the internal roads twice a day and with the drought the hogs were really hitting it hard.  But there is a lot of road and you have to pick your spot carefully or try to get on an access trail.

Anyway as morning unfolds I have action within 20 minutes.  A group of 10 or so feeder size (50-60#)
pigs are moving down the road in a hurry.  As they close the distance my heart begins to crawl up into my throat and I'm sure the pigs can hear the thumping.  Well the first ones hit the shoot lane as I came to draw.  The arrow was away before I even knew it.. . .really I wasn't even looking at the pigs I don't think and it went real high.

DANG IT!! slow down and concentrate.  It was like playing poker and wanting to play every hand.  Too much fun.  A little selftalk there.  Well an hour goes by and here comes some little guys.  COOL!  going to get some meals on a stick.

RIGHT,  they dodged and danced like Ali and the arrows went high and low.  Yep I said arrows.  two shots; no meat.

I walked back to camp with my head hanging.

More later on Jasons morning hunt.

gotta go build bows.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2006, 01:31:00 PM »
Jason met me at the camphouse with a grin on his face.  He had a great morning with hogs coming and going on this stand.  Unfortunately he had not connected but had experienced the frustration of trying for those little ones.  We decided that at that point we would hold out for bigger targets after the boys showed up that afternoon.

I called Tony's cell and jacked them up with the pig stories.  They were still 2 hours out but closing in.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2006, 03:28:00 PM »
Roudy Yates!!!!!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2006, 06:22:00 PM »
Got Milk?  :bigsmyl: ....Van
I love this country ;-)

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2006, 06:42:00 PM »
Van,

We are waiting for Tony to get home from work.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2006, 08:21:00 PM »
Oh. Well, he probably needs to eat supper and take a shower and unwind a bit and maybe catch the news or somethin'  :bigsmyl:  I'm bettin' tomorrow around noon  :banghead:    :p  ....Van
I love this country ;-)

Offline tmccall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2006, 10:12:00 PM »
Finally!!!!!!!!  I'm home.  I've gotta read the the thread, download some pics, then I'll contribute to the "milking."  By now Mikes probably sound asleep but we'll get this story told in alt least a week...    :D  

BTW Ferret I was shooting my Dryad Windtalker...  Haven't finished mine yet, see my first post on this thread -- been short on time lately.
Tony McCall

Jesus.  There is no other name...  Acts 4:12

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©