INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Texas or Bust!!!! Pig hunt in progress...  (Read 7788 times)

Offline tmccall

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Texas or Bust!!!! Pig hunt in progress...
« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2006, 03:46:00 PM »
I believe I left off at Wednesday evening.  We spent that afternoon feasting on Deer Tenderloin and practicing a little.  When I headed back out to occupy the stand that had already produced 2 of the 3 dead hogs, I felt pretty confident that this was gonna be the night!

The hunt started out slow, I was surrounded by deer but no hogs.  I saw several species of exotics that afternoon including a real handsome Texas Dall.

As evening began to approach I began to get a little discouraged.  I was afraid that maybe I had made a bad choice, that this stand had been overused.  That magic hour settled in and all my senses went on high alert but to no avail I slowly watched the evening descend upon us with no hogs even sighted at all.  Then, at the last possible shooting light a bunch of hogs came out of the brush on the same trail where we had tracked Mike B's hog that morning.  There was one nice boar and two small 50# hogs and about 6 small 10# hogs.

They approached my stand but shied away at the last moment... went back to the brush and peered over at the tree.  Must be the same bunch that Mike B shot at this morning, I thought to myself as I contemplated the situation.  Then they turned and came on again but this time the one nice 100-150# hog that was with them turned and went the other way, demonstrating why he was so much bigger than the rest!

As they approached my stand my heart was jumping through my chest.  There was a nagging though in my mind that these would be the smallest hogs I had taken a shot at on the whole trip but that was mostly swallowed by the fact that I was going to get another chance to score my first trad kill...
Tony McCall

Jesus.  There is no other name...  Acts 4:12

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: May 21, 2006, 03:46:00 PM »
Nice bunch of hogs, I mean the dead ones on the ground,   :D  Oh never mind, congrats to all, sounds like ya'all had a great hunt.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline tmccall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2006, 03:55:00 PM »
As they approached to within shooting distance I zeroed in on the biggest in the bunch, about a 50# hog.  I allowed my full attention to settle low on the vitals, picking a spot.  I concentrated on a low shot because I was in a tree stand and had been warned my Wingnut that my shot would go a little higher than usual.

I will never forget any of the shots that I took on this trip but this one in particular is forever etched in my mind.  I remember coming to full draw and then holding just a second as that perfect feeling that all was right settled on me before the release.  Somewhere in that perfect moment the string slipped from my fingers and I watched my arrow race to my intended target.  Those white spliced feathers from James Young are awesome, and in that short space of time as all my concentration was on the shot I could actually see the rotation of the feathers as they streaked to the hog.  Then it happened, the feathers disappeared into the hog right at the spot where I was concentrating,  The arrow was a clean pass thru and as the hog whirled to escape the danger it snapped my arrow in half, leaving both pieces right there on the ground.

It was in that moment that doubt began to gnaw on my mind.  yes the arrow went right where I was looking, but that might not be a good thing since I was aiming a little lower than I intended to hit, trying to compensate for the elevated stand.  I decided to clamber down and get a look as the darkness settled in.
Tony McCall

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2006, 03:59:00 PM »
Fantastic story guys, keep it up coming!

So the bows were almost all Dryad bows, windtalker, right?

What is the bow of the gentleman on the far right?

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline tmccall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2006, 04:02:00 PM »
I got to my arrow and once again doubt and dismay settled in on me.  the arrow had passed thru but only had good blood sign on one of the three fletchings.  I decided that there was a real good chance that I had shot too low and braced myself for the worst.

I had just stepped off into the brush with my flash light when Mike and the guys approached in the truck.  I informed them that I had blood on an arrow and we set about on one more wild and difficult blood trail.

It started out real positive and pretty fast.  Jason found fiorst blood and set the direction and from there the blood was pretty frequent and pretty good...  for a bit.  Then it pretty much ran out.  We got down to just a drop at a time.  About that time the dog got there and started working the trail and before long got off into the next thicket and began to bark, letting us know he had a hog.  We headed, headlong, into the thickstuff after the dog.  It was slow going in one of the most difficult places on God's green earth.  After a bit we realized that the dog was on a live hog and that it was likely that it wasn't my hog...
Tony McCall

Offline tmccall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: May 21, 2006, 04:04:00 PM »
All bows were Dryads except the recurve that Mike B was shooting.  He is in talks right now with Wingnut about a Dryad Bushwacker though...

The gentleman on the right is my Dad and he is carrying a Windtalker, Wingnut and myself were also carrying Windtalkers and Jason was shooting the Bushwacker.
Tony McCall

Offline tmccall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2006, 04:10:00 PM »
I went from excitement to dejection as I considered the possibilities.  That's hog hunting, from the exciting high to low ebb in just a moment.  We had a little pow-wow and decided to go back to the start and see if we could cut the blood on my hog again.  As we were walking back the dog rejoined us, then out of the blue he began to tear up jack about 5 yards from the trail.  Gerald, the hunt manager, steps over there and peers under a big brush pile, then with a huge grin he hauls out my very much dead hog!

Needless to say I raced back to the top of the emotional ladder.  I was almost overcome with emotion as I looked down at my first trad kill.  This had been a long journey for me and a much anticipated event...  I'm glad to say today that the thrill of victory was everything I had anticipated and more!  It was beyond exciting right up until that point that Wingnut reached over and took my light from me and told me to get busy gutting the thing...    :D
Tony McCall

Offline tmccall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: May 21, 2006, 04:14:00 PM »
Of course by this time I had learned of Wingnut and Jason's success and my hog made number 6 for the hunt!

Thursday morning was the final day of the hunt and it concluded well.  I had a blast and I'll share it in a moment but first let me get on with the hero pics!!!

Good looking bunch of hogs!

From biggest to smallest they were each one a true trophy!
Tony McCall

Offline tmccall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: May 21, 2006, 04:16:00 PM »
Here are the stars of the show:

First Jason, shooting a Dryad Bushwacker.

That is one more smooth, sweet shooting bow.  It has been elevated to the top of my wish list and I full anticipate getting one later this year!
Tony McCall

Offline tmccall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: May 21, 2006, 04:20:00 PM »
Secondly Mike, shooting a Windtalker.

This bow was exceptionally nice looking with an osage belly and swoop!
Tony McCall

Offline tmccall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: May 21, 2006, 04:23:00 PM »
Mike Bingham from Arkansas scored his first trad kill on the trip.

The bow was a Martin X-200.  Mike is brand new to Trad Archery and he bought the bow as a starter until he settled in on what he wanted to shoot.  After handling the Bushwacker he began to talk to Mike about placing an order...  Next years hunt will likely be an all Dryad hunt!
Tony McCall

Offline tmccall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: May 21, 2006, 04:28:00 PM »
The only problem with being the eye behind the camera is that you aren't in any of the pictures...  This fact held true right down to the hero pics.  I posed and my dad shot the pic but somehow something went wrong with the camera and the pic was lost...  Bummer!  However I do have a pic of my pig -- which saves all of you from my ugly mug anyway!   :D

My bow is a Dryad Windtalker with Cocobola and a Bocate swoop and a bulletwood belly.  This bow is a sweet shooter!  And i was extremely pleased to share my first trad kill with such a fine piece of equipment.  The arrows are my fancy ones from James Young and they are beyond beautiful!  I lost one and broke one on this trip but that's what they are for!
Tony McCall

Offline tmccall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: May 21, 2006, 04:46:00 PM »
Finally, let me share my story of the last day's hunt.  I decided to go back to the blind I hunted on the first night, where I had shot over my first hog.  I further decided to locate myself in a different location a little further from the blind.  This turned out to be a good idea since the hogs, which had scented me before in the blind, shied away from it all together, but that's getting ahead of the story.

When Mike and Gerald dropped me off, there were hogs in the road, it looked like it was going to be a good hunt!   I made my fatal mistake right there at the very beginning.  with daylight quickly racing into the picture and hogs already upon me, I hastily searched for good cover with a shooting land and finding what appeared to be a good place settled in.  

As the sun began to rise I could hear the hogs grunting and an occasional squeal.  I looked around to verify my setup and discovered on glaring flaw in my plans.  I was badly exposed in an opening to my left rear.  I briefly considered moving but the grunting of hogs encouraged me to try to make the best of the situation, after all the hogs were in front and to my right and the only way they were getting to that hole in my cover was to first pass thru my shooting lane.

In the end my success was also my failure.  It turns out that I had picked a great spot for the morning hunt, as a matter of fact it was too great!  The first bunch of hogs approached me, as planned from the right proceeding directly to my shooting lane.  However a second bunch approached from my left directly to my fatally flawed cover.  The bunch to my right featured some good sized hogs proceeded by a few small 10# hogs.  I let the small ones walk thru my shooting window waiting on a chance at one of the good ones.  Once again, hindsight is 20-20 and I probably should have taken the first shot presented, because the small hogs blended with the hogs from the other group and they congregated right at the hole in my cover.

I tried to stay as still as possible as that hog I wanted to shoot walked into my shooting lane.  I tightened tension on the string, then began my draw.  At that precise moment I was busted y the hogs milling around to my left and one of them let loose with a short quick frightened grunt that ruined the whole show.

Pigs went everywhere and I let my draw down.  I could hear grunting and squealing all around me and so I made a snap decision to do what I should have done earlier that morning.  I stealthily shifted my position about 10 yards into perfect cover with a good shooting window.

In just a few moments I saw a large hog approaching, quickly from the left.  I allowed it to trot into my shooting lane as I, once again brought the string to full draw.  This time I was stopped cold, not by the horrible grunt of a pig busting me, but by the knowledge that this was a mature sow.

One of the rules of the hunt was not to shoot wet sows.  Although this sow had no young with her and by a strict interpretation of the guidelines would have been fine to kill, I had personally determined not to shoot a mature sow, so, as much as I wanted to take another hog I slowly let the string down and watched as this brazen sow presented me with shot opportunity after shot opportunity.
Tony McCall

Offline tmccall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: May 21, 2006, 04:53:00 PM »
After a while the sow vacated my shooting lane and things settled down to no action at all.  As the hunt drew to an end I decided to get up and walk around a bit in hopes of stumbling into some of the small porkers that we had been encouraged to thin out.

I never found any porkers but was intrigued by a cottontail that stood stock still about 25 yards ahead.  Nocking an arrow, I stalked to within 15 yards before I stretched the string and let fly with a well aimed arrow.  My precision guided missile streaked thru the air right to the place where the rabbit HAD been sitting.  It passed thru thin air then bounced wildly into the brush.  The frightened rabbit had only moved a few feet and I quickly nocked another arrow and tried to get a little closer before doing the whole thing over again.

Did I mention that rabbits are faster than arrow, either that or they are extremely lucky!  Right at the last moment the bunny moves and the arrow careens off into the brush.  Once again the rabbit stopped just a little ways off, ad again I nocked the arrow and let it fly, with the same results.

I was nocking my fourth and final arrow and stalking closer to the bunny when it dawned on me that I had no idea where my other three arrows now were.  My more responsible side kicked in and spared the bunny from any further entertainment as I scrambled into the brush to hunt my arrows.  thankfully I recovered them all, just as Mike pulled up to get me!
Tony McCall

Offline tmccall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: May 21, 2006, 05:03:00 PM »
Let me conclude by saying that I had a great time!  The hunt was a real success, and it was great to finally meet Mike and Jason.  Mike demonstrated just what kind of guy he was when he jumped in to help Mike B out with his shooting, going so far as to provide him with new shafts and broadheads!  I had already determined that Mike and Jason were great folks but this solidified it in my mind.  I hope we forged a lasting friendship during our short hunt and plans are already being made for a possible deer hunt together in Arkansas this October and another hog hunt in South Texas next year!

Mike is not only a great bowyer and an exceptional hunting partner, he also proved to be a great cook and an enthralling story teller!  I was equally impressed with Jason, who seems to be a young man with his head on straight and a great philosophy about hunting -- the more you shoot, the better your odds of hitting something!   :D

I look forward to the next time we are able to hunt together and I hope that next time I can get the story told and the pictures posted much faster!

Finally thanks to everyone on the gang, first of all for tolerating my story telling, but mostly for being the fuel that keeps the fire burning.  I only hope that you have take half as much delight from our stories and our hunt as I have taken from yours over the last year or so.  Thanks for your kindness and encouragement, each of you were a part of that fine moment when I enjoyed my first ever trad kill!!!!

Thanks to all!
Tony McCall

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: May 21, 2006, 05:05:00 PM »
Well if we could get Mike B to chime in with his story and a few touches up from Tony Sr.  I think this story would be a wrap.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline tmccall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: May 21, 2006, 05:14:00 PM »
Mike B was here last night and he read the story up to that point but he still doesn't have a Trad Gang handle...  Hopefully he will get in here today or tomorrow.

My Dad was here late last night too, processing meat and grinding home-made bratwurst.  He worked today and will probably be on later tonight.
Tony McCall

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: May 21, 2006, 06:45:00 PM »
That's cool, sorry about your hero pic.  Man it sucks to loose the first one.  I lost a whole roll of 35 mm on my first elk with a trad bow.  Heart breaking.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: May 21, 2006, 06:51:00 PM »
Great story, great pics, great thread. Nice lookin' bows too. Thanks guys.  Y'all made my day a bit brighter   :thumbsup:      :thumbsup:   ....Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: May 21, 2006, 08:08:00 PM »
Tony... great story well told. Here's wishin ya many more.  :thumbsup:

Them Westvang boys make a fine bow.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©