INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Ray Hammonds Hog Haven  (Read 3361 times)

Offline CJ Pearson

• Trad Bowhunter
Ray Hammonds Hog Haven
« on: June 04, 2006, 10:20:00 PM »
This past Tuesday morning I got a call from Ray asking what I was doing Fri. and could I get the day off and head down for some swine shooting. After reading about the last two gentlemen that went with him I was not about to pass this up. Friday morning I was at Ray's about 8:30 and off we went. After making several stops we arrived at Ray's Hog Haven that afternoon. We unloaded all our gear in the camp trailer and Ray then took me around the place to show me the area. When we came to the first cross roads on the ranch out ran heard of hogs in front of us high tailing it down the road.

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ray Hammonds Hog Haven
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 10:31:00 PM »
I like this already...
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline CJ Pearson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 10:32:00 PM »
Well I now knew just what Terry and Mike must have felt like and it was excitement and anticipation all rolled up in one. As we made our way on around the upper area of the property before going back to change into our hunting clothes and head out for the evening hunt we must have seen 25 hogs. Back at the camp to get our gear on and grab our bows off we went. Going down one of the two tracks we spotted what looked to hogs on up ahead of us. After a quick look and discussion it was decided I would try to put a sneak on these hogs that were enjoying whatever they were getting out of the ditch they were rooting in. As I got closer and got setup behind the little pine scrub it was certain that they were heading right at me and in just a matter of minutes they would be within my shooting range and hopefully I would have one on the meat cooler Friday afternoon.

Offline CJ Pearson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 10:49:00 PM »
As they were heading my way and only had to come another 10 yds to be within range I felt that disturbing feeling that all bow hunters dread. Yes it happened, the wind was instantly on the back of my neck. With aloud grunt I knew I was busted. Just as quickly as the wind had blown the hogs were gone. Thinking oh well with all the hogs I had seen so far there would be more chances and sure enough that would be the case.

Offline CJ Pearson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006, 11:05:00 PM »
I went back and got with Ray and we headed down another old two track and Ray showed me where he had shot one of the three hogs from a couple weeks before. As we made it to the end of the track and was discussing the next move, I jumped about 6" straight up about 1/2 sec. later Ray did the same along with what in the heck was that? I told Ray I didn't have a clue and he said the dang thing looked like it had fur. It had launced it's self from a few inches in front of me and landed nearly on Ray and then was gone again. As we looked under a limb that was overhanging where it had disappeared there sat the mother of all Bullfrogs. Looking as if to say, ha I got you didn't I? Ray drew back and wham! scewared that big frog and decided the logs on that thing were gonna look mighty good in his skillet.
I'll post the pictures of Toadrilla tomorrow and finish this story up as well. I am worn smooth out and gonna go try to get some sleep.

Offline CJ Pearson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2006, 11:12:00 PM »
wow I just re-read and I must be real tired cause them logs were legs.

Offline Al33

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006, 11:27:00 PM »
:D   I was thinking the legs on that hairy bullfrog were so big you just refered to them as logs.   "[tunglaff]"  

Looking forward to the rest of the story.

Offline CJ Pearson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 07:16:00 AM »
No Al, there mas no hair but is sure did look like it as it was moving by us at what seemed like the speed of sound. Not to mention Ray had just showed me where a gator had made a slide in the ditch a few feet back.

Offline CJ Pearson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2006, 08:36:00 AM »
Here is the picture of the fang bearing, fire breathing, foaming at the mouth dragon frog "Toadrilla"

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2006, 09:03:00 AM »
Well.....where's the rest of the tale CJ?
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline CJ Pearson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2006, 09:18:00 AM »
We finished out the afternoon hunt and headed back down the two track towards camp. Walking along Ray and I spotted something moving across the road. After looking through the glasses we saw that this was one good size bobcat. We finally got to the crossroads where the cat had crossed earlier and went off into the bushes. As we were walking back we came to a spot where a four foot gator has made his home. Laying there on the side of the pond was the bobcat staring at us. We watched him for at least 2 mins and then he eased off. We would end up seeing 2 more bobcats before the weekend was through. Back at camp a nice cool shower and off to Gators for dinner. We made it back to camp just before one real nasty storm set in for most of the evening. The ground was in much need of the rain that the good lord provided.

Offline CJ Pearson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2006, 09:59:00 AM »
Saturday morning found us up and after the hogs once again. The ground was wet and perfect for stalking these critters. After walking most of the morning for what seemed like five miles we spotted another cat in the road. After watching him for about 5 mins we headed on down the two track back towards camp. Along the way we stopped and looked at one of Curtis' "CK" pets.
Yes that is correct it made it all the way over here form Texas. Actually ours are prettier.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2006, 10:04:00 AM »
OUR dung beetle is MUCH prettier than them ol' Texas dung beetles Curtis has. Ours look irridescent, like a Japanese beetle.   :readit:
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline CJ Pearson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2006, 10:09:00 AM »
After getting back and cleaning up and changing into some short pants and a t-shirt we ate breakfast and began to relax. I asked Ray about the swamp and how big it was and he suggested we go take a ride and check it out. I grabbed my bow and laid it in the back of the truck and hopped in and got the air cranking. Hold on I'll be back in a few. Got a call

Offline CJ Pearson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2006, 11:09:00 AM »
Ok I'm back now. As we road down into the swamp I was amazed at the size of some of the old cypress trunks that were left years ago after they had been harvested for timber. The terrain had changed from flat sandy surface to a cool dark damp area. We made our way further into the swamp bottom and were delighted to see a nice turkey hen with about five little ones that looed like they could not have been a week old. I backed up to give them room to cross the road and get to mamma. Setting there the hen began making her way to her little ones when all at once they were air born and flew right over the top of her. Ray and I both were amazed that these polts that were no bigger than our hands were able to fly.
After getting to the end and turning around we took another road into another side of the swamp. We were easing along looking for signs of rooting and planning for the rest of the afternoon when we cam to a corner and there they were. Three large hogs along with a bunch of little ones. I stopped the truck and eased out the door and grabbed my bow from the back. Checking the wind it appeared that I could ease through the woods and hook abck out on them and possibly get a shot. I had not made it 10 yards into the timber when I heard Ray knocking on the window. I eased back and he told me he noticed the wind was blowing the wrong way where the hogs were at it and it would more than likely blow my stalk. He suggested circuling down below them which meant getting down in the creek bottom and coming up on them. All was going good and I was coming up when I looked at the truck and saw Ray motioning for me to go further back. I eased back into the creek bottom and started making my way down the creek back to hopefully come out down below them and get setup for a shot at the big red one that we had seen. As I was climbing along and easing up the bank to cross a limb that was in the creek my tennis shoes that I had slipped on suddenly gave way to the slick mudd that was in the area. Down I went as quietly as a fat man can fall, into the bottom of the creek. Now looking like Rambo with the clay mudd camo all over my front I just hoped my splash had not scared them off. Getting back on the bank and listening I could hear the grunting taking place above me. I eased on down and found a semi clear spot to make my way out of the creek bottom. As I eased up I looked over the top and there not ten feet away from me was one of the larger black ones rooting away. I did not see the red one that I was wanting to get a shot at but this one would certainly do. I eased back down and evaluated the situation and looked for a place to securely plant my feet without slipping. Once I got settled and was raising my bow the hog looked up and I froze stiff in my tracks. He was staring right at me, but behind the cane leaves that were between us it must not have got a good look at me or maybe the mudd was working. The hog went back to rooting and I completed raising the bow and came to full draw and released.

Offline CJ Pearson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2006, 11:12:00 AM »
guys I am sorry for the poor spelling that I have been doing here. I am trying to work on my job and get this out as well and man I am flubbing this all up with poor spelling. Again I apologize.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2006, 11:31:00 AM »
Gonna jump on this one tonight.......but for now...

CONGRATS!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline CJ Pearson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2006, 11:40:00 AM »
It appeared to be a perfect shot as the hog spun and took off into the woods along with every hog that was in the bunch. I climbed up out of the creek and got into the clearing and looked towards the truck. Raising my bow in the air to let Ray know that I had made the shot I looked down at myself and then realized just what a muddy mess I was. Ray got out of the truck and came towards me laughing at the mudd and water that was all over me. I told him I had made what appeared to be a good shot. We looked at the edge of the clearing where the hog had entered into the woods and sure enough we had a good blood trail that we could follow. Ray suggested we get back to camp change into our hunting clothes after I hosed myself off and then come back and begin tracking. After about an hour we were back down in the swmap and began tracking. We followed the trail for about 10 yards and I looked up and noticed the hog laying by a tree about 30 yards away. Glassing to make sure it was the hog and not something else we made our way over to it. Seeing that it was about a 200 lb. boar Ray looked at me and said man I am sorry but let me carry your bow for you. With his recent diagnosis of a hernia I assured him I was not expecting him to help and I would gladly drag it out. After tying straps around his front legs I pulled him out into the clearing so we could take pictures of him before loading it into the truck.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2006, 11:47:00 AM »
now that just plain cool!!! way to go !!marco#78 that Ray is something else!!!  :thumbsup:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline CJ Pearson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2006, 11:57:00 AM »
At the cleaning shed we got the boy cleaned out and hung up in the walkin meat cooler. The evening hunt proved uneventful but was still very nice and relaxing to listen to the Bob White quail calling, watch the beautiful swallow tailed kites flying over head and laughing at a juvenile armadillo that walked up to me and sniffed my boot. He was not much bigger than my hand and after I started walking on down the trail I looked back to find that the dadgum critter was following me. My guess was it was just too young to know that we humans are a danger to them. Back at camp Ray had already cleaned up and had began to grill some fantastic steaks "the man can cook". I cleaned up and ate and we discussed tomorrows plans and off we went for a good nights sleep.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©