INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Ray Hammonds Hog Haven  (Read 3365 times)

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ray Hammonds Hog Haven
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2006, 12:18:00 PM »
Ray, you don't need to go on a diet.  You just need a bigger knife.  That little skinner on your belt makes the proportions go cattywhompus.  (I carry a two-handed broadsword and look positively svelte.)    :)
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline CJ Pearson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2006, 12:44:00 PM »
Sun morning was nice and cool and we were ready to hit the woods. After making a short hunt Ray decided that it would be better since there was not any fresh sign to go back and cleanup the camp and get the hog cut up and eat a bite of breakfast and then head back out. After breakfast
we drove to the bottom and parked the truck and began the walk into the swamp. We walked a bit and turned back and chose another two track, the same one where we found them at yesterday. Easing on past the turn and crossing the creek where I had developed my new camo pattern from the day before, we walked on a bit. Ray suggested I go back and get the truck and he would walk on to the end and we would meet at the creek. I was hunting my way back but yet walking at a quick pace when I noticed the cane about 20 yds in front of me moving. I stopped and in a few secs. about 10 little ones ran out into the open. I stood still as I had the wind in my favor and watched them scamper around looking for food. I could hear a larger hog down in the cane behind a tree. I lowered myself and hurried up to about 10 yds. from the tree the hog was behind. As I eased around for a look. I could see that it was another boar about the same size as the one I had shot the day before. He eased on out into the open about 20 yds away from me and stopped. I knew it was now or never so I drew and released. As the arrow flew just over his back he was gone in a flash growling that gutteral growl at me, like they do when they are aggrevated. I eased on and got the truck and came back and met Ray. I explained to him about blowing the shot and he must have figured that the hogs were on the move. He suggested we split up and hunt for about 30 more mins. I eased on past the place where I had shot the boar the day before and was getting close to the end when I spotted a place that looked like someone had been in there plowing up the ground. It was fresh too. I eased on up and sure enough there were 5 porkers about 50lbs each and they were tearing it up. They were behind the palmetto leaves and I began to ease up on them. I was just getting ready when I noticed smoke from my thermacel coming over my head and going straight for them. In an instant out went the warning sign and they were gone.
We got back in the truck and headed back to camp to cleanup before we headed home. We stopped off at the cleaning shed and we saw two beautiful rat snakes. Ray got some great pictures of them as well as some of the cypress stumps.

I do not know who won the hunt from the St. Judes auction but I can assure you of one thing. You are in for one of the best hog hunts that you will ever have. Ray is a great host and has one of the nicest setups you can have. Not to mention he is a heck of a singer, NOOOOOOOOOOOT!
I can honestly say that I have had one of the best times I have ever had hunting with Ray. Ray thanks a bunch for inviting me.

Offline ky_longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2006, 01:16:00 PM »
CJP-
congrats on the PORK !
the smile says it all-
great hero pic!  :thumbsup:
if your not living on the edge,your taking up too much room!!
MEMBER-K.T.B.A.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2006, 01:18:00 PM »
Knifey,

I got news for you- That IS a broadsword on my belt!!  :scared:    :saywhat:
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2006, 01:27:00 PM »
CJ's a good hunter...but he needs some boots with some grip to 'em....he looked just like Arnold Schwarzenneger after the Predator chased him into that lake and he came out covered in mud!!! That was spooky!!!!!!!    :bigsmyl:  

You'd think if a guy killed a pig like that he would be ALL SMILES but I had to tell him a story about my Granny dipping snuff to get him to give it UP!!!!! It weren't true, though..shhhh!!!!   "[tunglaff]"      "[laffsmyl]"      :D      :p
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2006, 09:32:00 PM »
Great story guys...thanks for sharing.  Kinda makes me wish we had hogs in PA!
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2006, 09:55:00 PM »
Here's a shot of the swamp..specifically CJ looking over a medium size cypress stump where the tree appears to have fallen over...it wasn't logged I don't believe..there's a live tree in that swamp that I see a lot that is 200 feet tall and about twice the size of my Dodge full size pickup at the base...there were some trees cut there..but I think that was over 200 years ago when it happened.

Offline Al33

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2006, 09:56:00 PM »
Congratulations on getting the pig Chuck.   :thumbsup:

Offline CJ Pearson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2006, 09:58:00 PM »
Thanks Al

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2006, 10:02:00 PM »
Here's the hero of our story...

If it weren't for Ol' CJ we'd have just been walking with weapons- WWW!!!!!

Offline Jumper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2006, 10:08:00 PM »
CJP, great story and pictures, thanks! Congratulations on the meat. I can smell the BBQ already.....
"With God, all things are possible"

Offline Stump Buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2006, 11:11:00 PM »
YEAH BUDDY!!!!!  Great Story and good Pics!!!

Stump
In the wind, he's still alive...

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2006, 08:43:00 AM »
Way to go CJ!
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2006, 09:00:00 AM »
Way to go guys!!!!!!!!!!!  Thanks for sharing another fine hunt Ray!!!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©