INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 1st night at Chads...meat on the pole..UPDATED  (Read 9504 times)

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
1st night at Chads...meat on the pole..UPDATED
« on: November 05, 2006, 10:20:00 PM »
Well Charlie Lamb and Vance "Iron Bull" Brewer were running late. It was already after 3PM and they were still an hour or so out, so Chad and I headed to the farm without them. I would be hunting a stand just inside the woodsline at the end of a long field, near a pond. Evidence of a recent scrape was to my left. A ridge the deer bedded on beyond that. Chad would be hunting another stand up around the corner of the field about 500 yards from me.

Good golly but the deer were active tonight. I saw 5 differerent bucks including a spike, a couple of smaller 8's, a medium 8, and a bigger buck I couldn't judge becasue of brush and distance...oh...and a few does. Had a yearling at 10 yards broadside at one point, but that was the closest deer to me. Saw a flock of turkeys too.

From my stand I could hear Chad grunting and rattling too. He's quite enthusiastic about it.

Right before dark I could hear something big coming my way. Very deliberate, very heavy sounding. I just knew one of the "bruiser bucks" in the area had waited until the last minute and was heading towards the field. The steps got closer and closer. I gripped my bow tighter and then relaxed, my fingers were around the arrow nock and my arm was already raised into position. I had to tell myself to calm down, it was only a deer as my breathing had gotten labored. Suddenly he stepped out. It was that stupid SPIKE again. A 250 pound spike from the way he was walking although he didn't look that big.....
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 1st night at Chads...meat on the pole..UPDATED
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2006, 10:22:00 PM »
And........

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline cdi3d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2006, 10:26:00 PM »
well........------>>>>>>>> X
Mike

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2006, 10:28:00 PM »
At dark I cliimbed down and headed to meet Chad. As I neared the end of the field he came driving up in his truck. "We dragging?" I said. "Yep" was the reply. I'm so used to hearing NO by this time of the year it took me by suprise. I jumped in the truck and started questioning Chad. Seems after his last rattling session he heard something charging him thru the woods breaking saplings as it came. He saw horn and when it skidded to a stop at 12 yards Chad concentrated on a spot behind the deers shoulder and let a snuffer tipped shaft from his zipper bow loose. The arrow went where directed and the buck tore out of there. Chad thought he heard him crash.

We decided to go see if Charlie and Vance had made it in, figuring they'd like to participate in the blood trailing and dragging (they're big..and could come in handy for dragging!). In the meantime it started drizzling rain.Great!

Soon we were back with flashlights and reinforcements including Wesley, Chads 5 year old son. At the shot site we found blood almost immediately and followed a fairly easy blood trail for about 50 yards and there lay Chads prize.

There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2006, 10:30:00 PM »
Way to go Chad! Dang I was hoping for a Hope kill.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2006, 10:31:00 PM »
After congrats and pics, Chad took the insides and moved them outside, and Vance grabbed a horn and Chad grabbed a horn and it was a short drag to the truck.

Soon we were back at Chads where Chads definitly better half Shannon had prepared a wonderful meal of Pork Chops, mashed potatoes and gravy, macaroni & cheese,green beans and dinner rolls. We ate like kings.

L-R: Ferret, Charlie, Vance, Chad and with back to camera Wesley

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2006, 10:33:00 PM »
Oh Yeah! You sure put a leak in him with that snuffer. Way to start the hunt Chad.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2006, 10:35:00 PM »
Tomorrow Charlie and Vance get to start chasing those Ohio bucks and Rabbitman Dick Easter is driving in to hunt Monday afternoon and all day Tuesday I believe. I hope to join them for another day or two as well. I have a feeling it's going to be a good week. Will keep you guys updated.

BTW VM..I got to shoot "Hope" while waiting for Charlie and Vance. Nice bow. Loved the slim handle and the woods were beautiful.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2006, 10:39:00 PM »
Be real sweet if you guys could take one with her while she's there. Some mojo from this crew would surely drive her and the bag's value up for the auction.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2006, 10:49:00 PM »
Fairly easy blood trail?  By the looks of that wound I'm guessing that's an understatement!
Way to go Chad!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Terry Riley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2006, 12:05:00 AM »
Congrats on a nice buck Chad. Looks like a nice meal with great friends as well. Doesn't get much better.

Terry

Offline kojac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2006, 02:10:00 AM »
so does this make chad a full time guide now or does ohio offer another buck tag?

Congrats, and good luck to the others!! I'll be watching this one.
Brian

"Hunting...is about the Sights, Sounds, Smells, and  the Hunted...All the hunter has to do is show up"

Offline LBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2006, 03:47:00 AM »
Nice buck Chad. I hope you guys have a great hunt. Shot with Dick yesterday at the club. Have a great time.
Life is tough,it's even tougher if you are stupid. SEMPER FI (63-67)

Offline bluegrassbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2006, 05:09:00 AM »
Heck yeah,way to go Chad.I'm glad you got em...Congrats......
"Life,Liberty & the pursue of deer & turkeys."

Offline TimBow2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2006, 05:24:00 AM »
nice buck--congrats

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2006, 05:49:00 AM »
I knew it was just a matter of time before that boy got'um a good one!! Congrats bud   :bigsmyl:  

Thanks for the update mickey...looking forward to more
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline CheapShot

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2006, 06:39:00 AM »
Nice buck, those three blades make a heck of a hole. With that crew I'm sure there's more to come.
TNGIRL....
>>>>>>>>------------>>
Ye Olde Fartes and Sore Losers,
NGTA, TBG,
TGMM Family of The Bow,
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2006, 06:40:00 AM »
My thoughts exactly Curt. Each year I watch a select few guys because I know it's only a short matter of time and they'll have a good one on the ground. I've been waiting on you Chad! Nice one!  :thumbsup:  Keep it up Bud! CK

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2006, 06:41:00 AM »
Way to go Chad!  :thumbsup:    It's nice when they don't go far and you have all that extra help to get him to the truck.

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline OH at work

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2006, 06:47:00 AM »
Congrats Chad on the deer.  Say hi to Dick for me and hope all does just as good as Chad!!!!!!

Joe

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©