INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 1st night at Chads...meat on the pole..UPDATED  (Read 9505 times)

Offline Jake

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 1st night at Chads...meat on the pole..UPDATED
« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2006, 07:04:00 AM »
Nice deer Chad!

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2006, 07:22:00 AM »
Kojac..no kidding I felt like a midget next to these guys..course I feel like a midget next to most guys     :rolleyes:    

Jason..Chad said this one isn't big enough for the wall.

It was raining when I got up to go vote this morning. (back already..no lines, I was voter number 9 at our voting place..Dianne was number 8)

Don't forget to DO YOUR DUTY FOLKS! (BTW I voted for the guy Ted Nugent told me to vote for although I was going to anyway, and he's probably going to lose)
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2006, 07:25:00 AM »
Terry, since Vance is so quiet up there, maybe this will make you feel more at home:

So guys, tell me about the food!   :D  

Hope ya'll are having a good time, it certainly looks like it.

Anxiously awaiting the next installment....
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2006, 08:05:00 AM »
Oh,man...what I wouldn't give to be a fly on the wall of that hunting camp...  :bigsmyl:
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2006, 08:53:00 AM »
Whip..Vance wasn't at all comfortable hunting from a treestand so he got down and went over and made a little ground blind. Had a 4 point (forky) at about 10 yards at eye level and that was the first whitetail he's ever seen up close. He talked about how beautiful and sleek it was with the pure white belly and throat patch and brown hide as compared to the gray blocky mule deer he's used to hunting.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2006, 10:34:00 AM »
Now how many did they kill?  Heck, there's prolly a pile of them stacked ready for the freezer.  :)

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2006, 11:25:00 AM »
I've been doing some ground pounding myself this year, and have had a few close encounters.  Sure does add another level of intensity, I'll tell you that!
Those of us who get to hunt whitetails all the time do tend to take them for granted.  It's cool when someone can come out and experience them for the first time and see what great animals they are.  
Go get 'em Vance!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2006, 11:59:00 AM »
...and if you shoot one you can look at it in much greater detail!  :)

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2006, 03:26:00 PM »
Talked to Chad a couple hours ago and nobody went out this morning due to the rain. However the rain has subsided for now and I imagine they are getting ready to head out (as I am here at home). Chad has 1 doe tag left but has 2 deer in the freezer now. I don't think he's really looking to put another down, but since he's still going to the woods with a bow in hand, well..........

Offline rabbitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2006, 03:35:00 PM »
Just got home from my overnight stay at Chad's.  Got in yesterday, mid morning, and found the boy's just finishing up lunch.  It was great to see Charlie again and to meet Vance for the first time. We spent the next few hours telling lies and shooting Chad's 3D and bag targets.  Mickey arrived and he organized a photo session..."The old guys and the youngster." Charlie, Vance, Mickey and I are all about the same age.  We all have children approx. Chad's age. We sometimes have to remind him about respecting his elders. Then it was time to head out for the evening hunt... which Mickey reported the detail earlier...very little deer movement and the stolen stand and stick ladder incident.  I ended up making a fast ground blind and spent the time until darkness sitting on the ground. Didn't see any deer but the other guys didn't see much either.  For whatever reason, the whitetails were just not moving this evening.  We returned to the house and saw Mickey off as he headed for home.  Chad and his lovely wife Shannon, Charlie, Vance and I all loaded into Chad's car and headed to a  Maysville, Ky. steakhouse. JC...I'll let you ask Vance about the food when you talk to him again...sure looked like he was enjoying it.  We returned to Ohio and hit the sack in anticipation of morning rolling around real early. We were drinking fresh coffee at 5:45AM and watching a steady rain come down.  We discussed going out in the rain but all agreed it was much more comfortable sitting at the kitchen table with a hot cup of coffee.  We all also agreed (except Chad the yougster) that 20 yrs. ago we would have all been out there no matter what the weather.   I guess you really do get wiser as you get older. At 9AM the rain had still not slacked off and the stories were starting to go around for a second time.  We decided to go to town for breakfast...there's the food thing again, JC. We went to a restaurant with a breakfast bar, all you could eat for one price and every kind of breakfast food known to mankind.  Needless to say, those restaurant folks lost money on this group.  We headed back to the house with the weather still crappy and looked to be that way the rest of the day.  I went ahead and packed up for the trip home. I really didn't want to sit through the evening rain...and besides, I needed to get home in time to vote. Out of two days I hunted approx. 2 1/2 hrs. and saw zero deer...but was not disappointed at all. I got to spend time with friends that I don't get to see often enough. I think one of Charlie's famous lines sums thing up for me..."Being there was good enough."

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2006, 03:47:00 PM »
Well said Bagman! CK  :clapper:

Offline rabbitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2006, 04:35:00 PM »
CK....your ears must have been burning.  We discussed and cussed you on more than one occasion.  Vance now knows to keep his eye on you at the sweat.  :bigsmyl:

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: November 07, 2006, 06:12:00 PM »
Well nothing was moving out back tonight. Would have had to been looking the right direction though. As wet as the leaves are you couldn't hear a squirrel scampering 5 feet from my stand.

Hope the boys at Chads fared better.

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: November 07, 2006, 08:07:00 PM »
Daggone!!!   Don't any of you dudes have a JOB!!!!!  I gotta work to feed my wife & kids & pay the mortgage and the lectric bill and the car payments!!!!  Did ya'll hit the lotto or somethin!!!!

PS....come Friday, I'm on vacation fer a week.  I'll let Momma work ta pay the bills!!!!
Otto

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: November 07, 2006, 08:11:00 PM »
Just talked to Chad...Charlie hunted a stand behind the house that he saw a couple bucks out of the other morning and saw a doe and fawn out of range.

Vance sat in a ladder stand on the next hill over and rattled in a spike buck which he had close enough, but was in too thick of brush to get a shot,

Chad sat on his couch   :readit:

Offline Glenn29

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Whittington Photography
« Reply #75 on: November 07, 2006, 08:12:00 PM »
Otto I think the "old" guys are retired and the rest live near by.

But I wonder what they did before they retired to be able to hunt the rest of their lives...  :confused:
Can't see the forest for all the trees..

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: November 07, 2006, 09:14:00 PM »
Looks like a very large time is being had by all!  Dandy buck, Chad!

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2006, 04:07:00 PM »
Wow long day on the road today. Ughhh.

Anyhow talked to Chad by cell phone just after noon. Nobody saw anything this morning.

Offline AZStickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2006, 06:36:00 PM »
How many deer are you allowed each year up there Mickey?..... Terry
"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it.".. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: November 08, 2006, 06:51:00 PM »
Depends on the area of the state you're in Terry. You can only take 1 buck no matter what and get up to 5 does tags depending on the zone. In my zone I can take 3.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©