INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: A bear with rubber feathers... a story for Weekend Warrior**pics added page 3&4  (Read 7739 times)

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
That picture in the first post of this thread sure does look like a chapter introduction doesn't it?  :readit:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Each step across the snow would bring me that much closer to the bear and of course that much closer to detection if I did anything wrong.

My boots just made too much noise on the frozen carpet in front of me.

Quickly I sat down in the wet pine needles, unlacing my boots almost before the seat of my Levi's started absorbing water.
Soon I had stripped off my boots and was back on the snow in my sock feet.
Much better!

My feet were getting pretty cold from the very beginning, but I barely noticed it. I was on the stalk and my blood ran hot in my veins as I focused on the auburn fur that I could still see through the trees ahead.

Briefly I worried about my clothing. Larry and I had come straight from work and I hadn't changed into any camo or even put on my favorite gray hooded sweatshirt.
I'd striped it with a few strokes of dark brown stain one day and it made excellent camo.

Now all that stood between me and the bear was what natural cover I could put between myself and the bruin and moving only when the critter wouldn't see me.
The light tan work shirt seemed ever so bright to me.

Finally I had approached to within 20 yards of the feeding bear. The cover between us provided excellent cover, but also shielded the animal from any possibility of a shot on my behalf.

Suddenly the bear turned from the bait and strode steadilly down the hill toward the trail I was on. I sunk quickly to one knee and raised the bow in preparation for the shot.

The bruin turned it's head in my direction even before it's shoulder had cleared the brush along the edge of the trail.
I froze in place, bow in front of me for cover and trying to will myself invisible.

The bear seemed not to see me and turned away from me. He walked quickly off into the brush on the other side of the trail and at an angle that took him away from me.

There had been too much unpredictable motion to make a shot and I held my position until the bear disappeared in the huckleberry and lodgepole saplings.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Break time... see ya at lunch. Gotta go make some yella shavings.  :wavey:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
Ahhhhh...that's the Charlie I know and love! I think the guy who wrote that famous Heinz ketchup commercial got his idea from reading Charlie's stories: "Anticipay-yay-shun...it's making me wait."  :p
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
Your sure bein Complementary to ole Butc..er Larry  :bigsmyl:  AKA "SPEARMAN"   :biglaugh:

Offline droptine59

• Trad Bowhunter
Charlie I hope to someday meet you. It would be an honor.

Offline Roughcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
:bigsmyl:    :thumbsup:  was wonderin when I'd get ta hear another Charlie story.

Offline Weekend Warrior

• Trad Bowhunter
Charlie
   :campfire:  
Great story Can"t wait to read the rest..

Thanks

Offline LCB

• Trad Bowhunter
Keep er comin!

Thanks!
Success is measured not by inches of antler growth, but in the heart, soul, and mind!

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Dangnabbit, Charlie, how long you take for lunch?

It's gotta be mid afternoon somewhere in the world!   :bigsmyl:
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
This is definitely the highest and best use of the Internet!
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
"Ishi don't surf!" (shameless Apocolypse Now parody)   :D
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Working on the next installment right now guys.  :campfire:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
Facts to face, this is gonna take awhile. Read into Weekend Warrior, this is going to take all weekend  :readit:  Face it, it will be well worth the wait, after all its been decades since it happened  :D  And Charlies just getting around to telling the rest of the story. And if anyone knows the timetable its you guys!  :saywhat:  
And he is not only out to lunch he's making yellow shavings. That would just have to be someones bow.

Brent

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
As soon as the bear disappeared in the brush I hurried forward using a big lodge pole to cover my approach to where I thought he might be.

As I peeked out from around the pine, I spotted the bear a mere 20 yards away sitting on his haunches. His front paws were held close to his mouth and he was obviously eating some tasty morsel of meat from the bait pile.

There was no hint of concern in the bears attitude... I wrapped trembling fingers carefully around the bowstring and leaned out from behind the tree.

Giving myself plenty of room for bow limb clearance I finished my draw and settled my middle finger firmly into my corner of the mouth anchor.

In my peripheral vision the arrow lined up perfectly at a height that would send it into the bears chest just behind the right foreleg... I let it slip.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
And then......
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline LCB

• Trad Bowhunter
The arrow????
Success is measured not by inches of antler growth, but in the heart, soul, and mind!

Offline Inhimwelive

• Trad Bowhunter
Well the bear is on the cover so I think I know the end ....
In Him we live and move and have our being , make a joyful noise, sing unto the Lord, tell him of your love, dance before him...

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
yes, but do we know if it took more than one shot?,did it charge?,how far the bear went?
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Offline BillW

• Trad Bowhunter
Very cool Charlie. Well written but you are really teasing us now so lets hear it...

Great job!
Bill
Aim Small

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©