INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: A bear with rubber feathers... a story for Weekend Warrior**pics added page 3&4  (Read 7740 times)

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
In the relaxed atmosphere of Larry's little shop my new set up had tuned perfectly with super arrow flight.
Even shooting at the little ground squirrels that were so abundant in the area I'd had no problems.

But in the excitement of a big game encounter shots are sometimes delivered less than perfectly and dead calm is a relative term.

I was certainly excited and although I'd have sworn that I got off the string cleanly there was an obvious "jump" to the arrow as it left the bow.
(I would later find that the plastic fletching would hit the sight window on a less than perfect release and send the arrow way off target.)

The broadhead tipped arrow passed through the thick fur of the bears neck and cut nothing at all. The shot had gone a foot high and that much left of it's intended target... it didn't help my state of mind!

Instead of bolting out of there and out of my life forever, for some unexplicable reason the bear jumped up on the side of the tree directly in front of it.

It looked in my direction and not seeing my still form turned it's head in the opposite direction. Another plastic fletched arrow had appeared on my bow and I drew down on the bear again.

The results of this shot were little better than the first and once again the bear moved up instead of coming down and leaving. In those days I routinely head shot rabbits and called the shot before hand... no brag, just the way it was.
This was not doing my confidence any good at all.

Pulling a third arrow from my quiver I figured Kentucky windage (I had to do someting) and let it fly.
The arrow struck high in the shoulder of the bear who then headed way up the tree. It did little damage, apparently hitting nothing but muscle.

Anyone who has never seen a startled bear climb a tree can't even imagine how fast they can gain altitude.

I had one more broadhead arrow in my quiver and two blunts... it was crunch time.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
tell us more!!!!!!!!!!
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
So...What's his options  :scared:    :scared:  

Shoot the Bear in the front feet with the blunts hopin he'll let go and fall out of the tree  :bigsmyl:  

When ya finish with this one tell them about the cub up the tree next to ya  :goldtooth:

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
come on tell me more heck its 8 am here and i got up early to read the rest of it and!!!!  :coffee:    :coffee:    :coffee:    :biglaugh:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline rabbitman

• Trad Bowhunter
Come on Charlie....get your tired old butt up from your nap and get on with the yarn.  :bigsmyl:

Offline Weekend Warrior

• Trad Bowhunter
Charlie
Don't leave us hanging...

You can eat super later  :biglaugh:

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Dang you guys are crotchety! Hold on a bit and I'll finish up.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
Grasshopper sits patiently at master's feet....pebble is still firmly in master's hand  ;)
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
As it happened the bear climbed waaaaaaay up in that lodgepole and sat draped across a limb looking down at me.

I reached in the back of the quiver for my last broadhead arrow. It was a special arrow and I'd planned on testing it on something other than a bear.

One of the guys from the previous weeks hunt had left a prototype broadhead from a company called New Archery Products. I'd never heard of them.The broadhead was called a Razorback 5 because it had 5 blades... and it rotated on it's ferrule.

What it had going for it was the fact that it was mounted straight as a dye, it was razor sharp AND the arrow it was mounted on had feathers on it.

I sidled around a little bit and looked the situation over. It was a fairly long shot and almost straight up. I slid the arrow across the rest, nocked it and made ready to shoot.

The only real angle I had would send the shaft into the bear's exposed belly and angle upward into his heart lung area.

Bending hard at the waist I came to full draw, took an extra half second to settle in and let the feathered messenger go.

The arrow strobed through a couple of light beams slanting down through the pines and buried to the fletch in the exact spot I was concentrating on. The broadhead came to a stop, protruding a few inches from between the bears shoulders. I knew I had him and stood there watching like a dummy.

As the bear started to lose his grip on his perch I realized I was in danger of getting squished by a very dead bear. I back pedaled out of there a few yards.

The bruin slipped from the branch and hit the branch below him and snapped it like a soda straw.
It flew out and away from the tree.

It was about then that I realized that the real danger might not be from the falling bear at all, but the huge limbs that were raining down around me. I gave the tree even more room.

The bear hit the ground with a resounding thud and lay still. It was over.
As I stood there staring at my prize I was feeling a little numb from the experience and the adrenaline let down.

Before long I was aware that Larry was pounding me on the back and babbling incoherently about the whole show. He'd come along behind me on my stalk with 35mm camera recording most of it.

We'd later find that the action shots were too blurry (obvious camera shake) for any kind of veiwing.

I learned a valuable lesson that evening and wasted no time in adjusting my bow for better clearance of the fletch. I shot plastic fletch for quite a few years after that day with very good success and never experienced the same frustration I had that day on the mountain with a bear and a good friend.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
a good ending
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
I've got chores to take care of but I'll be back in the morning to clean up a couple of loose ends.

Gary... hope you enjoyed the story behind the Kittredge Bow Hut photo.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
Already its over? Winey winey and crotchety  :D  We though love ya Charlie!  :readit:  

Good story as always  :thumbsup:  Now what am I going to do the rest of the weekend?  :jumper:  

Brent

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
Saweeet. I killed my first deer with a compound with a Razorback 5. I remember staying up polishing the ferule and blade cartridge so they would spin if you blew on them. When we were up in Canada, they hade 8-10 boxes of blades and practice blades in their archery section, brought back many fond memories (though I'm much happier with my broadhead selections now).

Thanks Charlie, enjoyed it immensely as always.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Inhimwelive

• Trad Bowhunter
Nice story .... better then most in TBM
In Him we live and move and have our being , make a joyful noise, sing unto the Lord, tell him of your love, dance before him...

Offline Weekend Warrior

• Trad Bowhunter
Charlie
Great story  :thumbsup:    
Thanks For Sharing   :clapper:

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Thanks Charlie for the great story and a walk in the past...Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Your the master my friend, no better story teller alive.

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
The other year, in the "Keen-Kill-Sharpener" thread of yours, you already told us you killed this bear with a Razorbak-5, but nothing more! So I knew it had to show up - in your bow - and it was well worth waiting for ...! Nice story! I can see it! Almost if I've been there myself! Thank you Charlie!   :notworthy:  
Falk

Offline CheapShot

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
I really look foward to your stories Charlie. Thanks for sharing them with us. I'm in agreement with everyone else. Ya gotta write a book.
TNGIRL....
>>>>>>>>------------>>
Ye Olde Fartes and Sore Losers,
NGTA, TBG,
TGMM Family of The Bow,
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Thanks for the story Charlie, it made for a good Sat. morning read, There's no bears around here but a lot of woodchucks to stalk today.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©