INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The never ending story - TXS06... Into the breach  (Read 24758 times)

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The never ending story - TXS06... Into the breach
« Reply #180 on: March 27, 2006, 10:26:00 PM »
Oh, I reckon he is just gettin' warmed up....

Great story Charlie.  I looked at that thing hanging in the cooler every day, in fact I even have a picture of it, but I never heard the story behind it.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #181 on: March 27, 2006, 11:01:00 PM »
The master at work     :notworthy:    :notworthy:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline kyle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #182 on: March 28, 2006, 03:17:00 AM »
Charlie, that was Sunday morning.  Ben and I had called it quits and were mentally preparing for our long drive when you came in so soon after leaving and flopped that Javie down for us to see.  We said, "well, if they can do it, maybe we can too" and took off back where y'all had been after quick directions from CK.  Four stalks later, our hunt came to an end.  The last stalk I made there was the most exciting of my life even tho it ended with a miss.  

Kyle
WWJD

Offline Brian Halbleib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #183 on: March 28, 2006, 04:07:00 AM »
I'm ready to go back already!

-Brian
 www.bowyersjournal.com

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #184 on: March 28, 2006, 07:32:00 AM »
I know there's a big hog story coming in here somewhere....
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #185 on: March 28, 2006, 08:01:00 AM »
Thanks Kyle!  :thumbsup:   Got my days and times a little mixed up in the ole noggin.  :D  

And yes, there will be more. Soon as the coffee kicks in.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline RayMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #186 on: March 28, 2006, 08:05:00 AM »
Hey Charlie, what kind of bow is that? Looks like an HH? Maybe one you made?

Anyway, I am enjoying the heck out of this..

Thanks
RayMO

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #187 on: March 28, 2006, 08:50:00 AM »
Keep it GOING.........BUD

Top Shelf as always

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #188 on: March 28, 2006, 08:55:00 AM »
Ray... the bow is "Crow Wing" my favorite bamboo glass backed bow. Hill style (made by me)67". Draw weight is 65-67#... I don't mark my personal bows for weight and it's so old I've forgotten exactly what it draws.

Next installment coming before 9 a.m my time.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #189 on: March 28, 2006, 09:05:00 AM »
Thanks Charlie........one big mug down....and one to go.....I'll be waiting  :saywhat:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline OH at work

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #190 on: March 28, 2006, 09:11:00 AM »
So Charlie, what are you going to do with that snake skin?  It would look mighty good on a bow  :thumbsup:  

Joe

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #191 on: March 28, 2006, 09:41:00 AM »
Way to go Charlie  :thumbsup:

Offline Roughcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #192 on: March 28, 2006, 10:02:00 AM »
I've been enjoying all your story's. A big thanks to all of you for taking the rest of us along.
Waitin for the rest of the story Mr Charlie  :thumbsup:

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #193 on: March 28, 2006, 10:09:00 AM »
This was a Javelina/hog hunt... with the emphasis on Javelina. We knew they were abundant on this ranch, so not much thought was given to the hog population.

Being the resident hog killer, Curtis went right to trying to find a big porker to arrow, but for the rest of us, hog hunting would be incidental to the javie hunting.

That mindset would change... in a very short period of time.

From the beginning, Curtis was seeing hogs. For that matter, anyone who was hunting near water was too.

Remember how I said the area hadn't had rain in six months? Well, that made the ponds on the ranch magnets to all the game on the ranch.

Of course javies can do fine with only the water they get from prickly pear, but hogs need more.

Some of the guys had been seeing hogs in the road at last light and even more along the roads and senderos leading back to camp.

It would turn out that this ranch would also be a super place for hogs. Not just any hogs either! Seems that the light pressure on the hog population had allowed them to gain enough age to get BIG!

I hadn't been having much luck seeing hogs, but the javies had kept me busy enough.

One day, as Curtis and I talked about what we'd been seeing (he and I went off in different directions from the beginning).

I'd been frustrated pretty good by the javies at that point and CK suggested I take a break and go for a hog.

Seems he had a spot he'd been watching that had a nice one visiting it as well as javies and smaller hogs.

I knew Curtis wanted a good hog on this trip and I felt a little bad about taking on one of his spots after the work and time I knew he'd put into it.

But Curtis was getting the wanderlust and wanted to be off somewhere else hunting new country. I was the same way and gratefully accepted his offer.

CK had been watching a pond he'd found early in the trip.

You can get on a high point in that country (if there is one) and look for the ponds. They'll be trees growing in a group, that are taller and greener than all the surronding country.

Most usually there will be a sendero or trail from a sendero that leads to them.

The pond that CK had found was quite a ways off the main road, but with a good sendero that lead all the way to it.

I parked the Toyota under a big mesquite along the main road, shouldered my pack, slung my quiver over my shoulder and strung my longbow.

It was a short quarter mile to the pond and as I came within sight of it I slowed my pace.

If full the pond would have been a hundred yards across at the widest, but the drought had drawn it down to twenty yards across... actual water surface area. It basically sat in the middle of a big clearing.

My approach brought me up behind the pond dam and I surveyed every inch of the old pond bed for a hog or javie. It was barren.

I strolled up onto the dam and figured the best approach to a snag across the pond where Curtis had suggested I stand.

The dam was lined (on the water side) by mesquite and low brush. As I walked long this cover there was suddenly a scurrying in the brush, a flurry of dark moving bodies behind the low screen of greenery.

1, 2, 3, 4, javelina broke into a run moving parallel to the top of the pond dam and away from me.

At ten yards they turned up and crossed over the dam... I was still groping for an arrow and only just got it on the string as the last javie trotted over the berm and out of site.

POOP!!!

Ever get to thinkin you're the baddest thing in the woods and then get left flat footed and ineffectual?

Even as the sudden low settled on my still racing brain, there was another stirring in the brush.

A lone javie, bigger than the others, walked quickly out of the brush exactly where the others had.

He seemed more confused than upset and he moved quickly along the path of his departed pals.

I had no shot into the brush so I readied the bow to take the shot as he turned up out of the brush and across the top of the pond bank.

It all happened in a twinkling. The javie trotted through a 5 foot opening in front of me, I drew the bow to anchor, swung with him as I was doing that and released the arrow just before he went behind a wall of brush.    

My timing was off! The arrow would have met the javies lung area perfectly except that a small mesquite at the very edge of his cover deflected the big Simmons head.

The Interceptor sliced a nice chunk out of the mesquite and deflected completely behind the javie. A clean miss and outragiously exciting encounter.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #194 on: March 28, 2006, 11:34:00 AM »
:thumbsup:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #195 on: March 28, 2006, 12:03:00 PM »
Cool story Lamb! I can't say I remember us talking about all that happening. Of course, with 25-30 hunting stories told in my ear each day, I kinda melted into one big ball of hunting blahhhhhh! Keep the tales rolling! I know how this one ends at least. Great job BTW! CK

Offline Jumper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #196 on: March 28, 2006, 01:44:00 PM »
Dave Stinson just emailed me some more pictures to post. Hopefully he will jump on and tell the story to go with them if he has the time.

The first group before the group photo.

Dave's first javi on the hunt. He tagged out on javi's. Take a look at those tusks will ya!

I'll post more pictures as he sends them.
"With God, all things are possible"

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #197 on: March 28, 2006, 02:53:00 PM »
I took a half hearted peek over the top of the pond bank, but I knew they were gone.

Turning on my heel I covered the short distance to the snag I could clearly see on the other side of the pond.

The wind was right for it and settled in there for the afternoon.

I hardly had time to daydream when I caught sight of more javies headed toward the pond. They came single file till within a few yards of bare dirt and then spread out onto the pan.

While my little friends provided a great chance to study them, they never presented me with a decent shot, so I spent the rest of the afternoon watching and hoping.

As long shadows krept across the pond and daylight turned gray with the approaching night, I resigned myself to the fact that it was over.

The javelina had long since quit the playing field and except for a distant pack of coyotes it was quiet.

I removed my arrow from the bow which had stood ready in front of me and placed it in my quiver.

I picked up my daypack and sat it on my lap to put away water bottle the sharpening kit I'd used to freshen the edge of my arrow.

In the middle of these preparations I looked up.

Trotting past me at 10 yards was a very nice boar hog. He'd come down the dry wash to my right and ran right up to the water and waded in.

He took a drink but wasted little time in the water. Soon he was out and had layed down in a muddy depression to wallow.

Talk about your muddy depressions!!While that was happening I was trying to set down my daypack quietly and get my hands on bow and an arrow which fought coming out of the quiver.

The hog, a rangy black cuss, stood up with a thick coat of fresh gray mud dripping from coarse hair and moved back in the direction he'd entered from.

I had my bow up and arrow strung waiting till he had walked past me.

What happpened next will puzzle me for a long time.

I held low on his side and tight against the front leg when his head swung away from me. The arrow was in him as fast as thought, but as he ran I could see it appeared to be at an odd angle and quite a bit of it sticking out on the entry side.

A second later I heard a stick crack back in the tangle and then silence.
Without venturing toward the exit place of the hog I eased back to my truck and headed on in to camp.

The place was fairly abuzz wit activity. Some guys were getting lights ready for tracking and others were preparing to go into town to meet the new group of hunters.

It seemed that I'd be going back for my hog alone.
Not something I looked forward to as I knew at the very least I'd throw my back out trying to wrestle that hunk of pork into the truck bed.

It turns out that my good buddy Joe Coots was in between appointments and I approached him about going along with me.

Joe seemed tickled to help. He's like that, ya know.

Before long we found ourselves, along with a couple of strong lights, standing beside the snag near the pond.

It was Joe who spotted first blood and I'm not sure I'd have found it at all if he hadn't pointed it out.

It looked really good from the amount and spray pattern on the ground.

The dry earth had sucked all the moisture out of the blood drops and all the red too. It was merely some indistinct brown spots on the dry pond bed.

But there was a pattern to the splatter. About every 6 feet there was another shotgun pattern of blood drops.

We'd barely covered 50 yards when I spotted the dead hog in the brush ahead.

Soon we were shaking hands over my trophy.

Close inspection of the wound showed the broadhead had entered the neck at the point of the shoulder. Must have caught something pretty vital in there... as you can see from the picture.

I would have chosen a different broadhead for the job had there been time. As it was I came out of the quiver with one of my favored Magnus I's w/bleeder.
He had a huge old X on his neck.

It took both of us to get that hog in the truck. Whew! Glad Joe is pretty stout.

Back at camp we scaled the hog at 170 pounds.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline David M. Mathis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #198 on: March 28, 2006, 03:02:00 PM »
That's the way to bleed um out Charlie. How far did the arrow go into the hog? Mike

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #199 on: March 28, 2006, 03:11:00 PM »
An lemme tell ya boys, I was plumb tickled to be asked by Charlie to track a big hog at night...it's not often a feller gets to actually lend aid to the mentor of so many and one of the men that have helped make traditional bowhunting what it is today. Anytime, -where, -place, -how, Mr. Lamb, I'm at your service.

That dry Texas dirt sure can play tricks with blood...just doesn't look the same on the ground as our lush-by-comparison more eastern hunting areas. But dad-gum if where that hog lay there wasn't enough blood to power a small hydraulic project....when it finally chose to lay down, the ol feller pulled the cork!

The memory and pics are forever etched into a special place in my heart.

Only bad part about the whole thing was Kyle didn't get to see firsthand when the cook's wife squealed with glee while inspecting the hog in the cooler.....the world needs more women like that I tell ya!  :readit:
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©