INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The never ending story - TXS06... Into the breach  (Read 23937 times)

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The never ending story - TXS06... Into the breach
« Reply #220 on: March 29, 2006, 09:28:00 AM »
Nice new avitar Joe! Real cool! CK

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #221 on: March 29, 2006, 09:34:00 AM »
JC..........What Curtis said  :bigsmyl:

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #222 on: March 29, 2006, 12:22:00 PM »
Cross post sorry Big Guy  :scared:    :scared:    :bigsmyl:

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #223 on: March 29, 2006, 12:33:00 PM »
The weather had cooled from the first hunt and it was somewhat of a relief. Overcast days were the norm for the second half and cool evenings.  

One evening while returning to camp I rounded the last corner in the sendero and immediately spotted four black shapes a couple hundred yards away.

I wasn’t sure if they were Javies or hogs... I kinda figured Javies since my mind was programmed that way from the afternoon’s hunt.

The truck was quickly put in reverse and backed quickly around the corner out of sight.

With the wind blowing from the critters to me I had soon slung my quiver over my back and strung my longbow and was straddling the barbed wire fence that ran parallel to my quarry.

The brush was pretty open along there and I knew it. I made good time to a place within 20 yards of the point where I’d last seen them... but they were gone.

Looking farther down the sendero I spotted them feeding away from me. It didn’t seem likely that I’d close the distance on what I could clearly see was four, one hundred pound hogs.

Since there was nothing to lose by trying, I moved quickly toward the moving hogs.

When I thought I’d closed the gap by half I eased out to the fence for a peek. I expected they would have long gone away.

What I saw was the whole mod feeding at a trot in my direction... and close at that!

I slid into a kneeling position next to and a little behind a big prickly pear clump. My bow arm instinctively pushing the arrow toward where the shot would be taken.

In the time it takes to tell, the first pig stopped short of my shooting lane, then just as quickly squirted across the opening and stopped again. No shot!

I couldn’t afford to be distracted by this hog. Unless he fed back into the open, the opportunity was lost and the others had to be coming close behind.... and they did.

The first hog had barely escaped my grasp when the second trotted squarely into my shooting lane and stopped at 10 yards.

The longbow flowed into it’s long arc and the arrow flowed across my index finger. The shot was a forgone conclusion as I reached anchor and the yellow fletched shaft jumped toward the hogs shoulder.

The shaft showed deep in the hogs side for a moment and there was a startled grunt from the hog. Then he and his buds disappeared into the brush.

A moment later I could hear brush snapping about 50 yards into the brush. It lasted quite a while and then the still of the Texas night was on me.

It started to get dark shortly after that and I can remember being uneasy as I approached the truck.
It had gotten dark enough that I couldn’t see the ground clearly now and without a light I didn’t want to think about the things I might step on.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #224 on: March 29, 2006, 01:39:00 PM »
Alright!  Someone threw another log on the fire!  :campfire:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Firstarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #225 on: March 29, 2006, 01:58:00 PM »
Wow, thanks for the tellin' of the story.

:bigsmyl:
Being first, making a mark and being part of
something great!
Rich

May you keep the wind to your nose, have the patience of Job, and have your Firstarrow fly true.

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #226 on: March 29, 2006, 02:19:00 PM »
Uffff, It's about to get really dark and really thick and really thorny and REALLY SCARY!!!!  :scared:  

Did I mention the fleas and ticks and snakes and hogs and Brrrrrr!   :scared:

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #227 on: March 29, 2006, 02:24:00 PM »
:scared:     "[heman]"
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #228 on: March 29, 2006, 02:32:00 PM »
Curtis, did you ever get that mesquite thorn outta your skull?    "[dead]"
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #229 on: March 29, 2006, 03:08:00 PM »
Matter of fack Norbert, I was just digging on it a few minutes ago. I've been popping them out of my arms all week. I still have plenty in my hands and head though. I just hope the ones in my head don't work their way through to the other side.   :bigsmyl:  It happens with Mesquite thorns in my hands sometime. CK

Offline David M. Mathis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #230 on: March 29, 2006, 03:38:00 PM »
I'm going to pass Charlie in age if he keeps this up.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #231 on: March 29, 2006, 04:37:00 PM »
That evening, on the ride to look for this hog with Charlie driving and CK shotgun, I rode in the back of the pick up. Breeze in my hair and ready to track when I noticed an unusual feeling... coolness, almost cold. First time in several days when the temp dropped below hot and muggy. I clawed the last mesquite thorn outa my scalp yesterday.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #232 on: March 29, 2006, 06:18:00 PM »
I think I have all the thorns out, but the bug bites are still driving me wild!  Can't hardly walk through a doorway yet without stopping to scratch my back on the jamb like a big ol' hog rubbin' on a tree trunk!
Some were ticks, but others have appeared in clusters in the oddest places!  :scared:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #233 on: March 29, 2006, 07:15:00 PM »
Joe, I share in your pain! There is no paint left on any door jam in my house. Scratching posts! Those clusters are chiggers. They'll make you scratch the hide off!  :scared:  

I'm amazed at how many guys fell victim to Blister Beatles. I'd like to take a count of how many guys got blisters or burned like areas? Weird! CK

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #234 on: March 29, 2006, 07:39:00 PM »
Yea, nobody mentioned that you guys have bugs with acid in them! I'm just healing up from the blister beatle burn on my foot. (note to self: don't hunt frogs wearing flip flops in Texas   :knothead: )  
Poor Leo, he looked like someone had branded his eye with a hot poker.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #235 on: March 29, 2006, 08:08:00 PM »
Pssstt! Norbert, we have bugs with acid in them. Don't go hunting in flip-flops....  :bigsmyl:

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #236 on: March 29, 2006, 08:22:00 PM »
In a jiffy I was back at the camp house. Heck! It was only a couple hundred yards from where I'd shot my hog.
I don't remember what all was going on at the time. But it was busy as usual at dark.

With forty five minutes since I'd shot the hog, Jerry G. and the ranch owner Pete, go me to go looking for the hog.

I'd scratched a big arrow in the dirt of the sendero to help me orient to the spot I'd last heard the commotion and the general direction the hog had run.

We started Jerry's dog, Banjo in the area of the hit and he was soon off in the brush. As we tried to enter the cover it was obvious the job would be a tough one. It was a veritable wall of thorns and cactus.

I made it in about 10 yards and felt lucky to have gotten back out with all my hide in tact. We'd wait for the dog to do his work.
Eventually the dog quit and so did we.

Back at camp Curtis showed up and figured he could find the hog. The coyotes were carrying on back in the area where I thought the hog was. Sounded like a small pack was having my pig for supper. I wasn't real positive we'd find anything back there, but what the heck, Curtis is a good tracker. I mentioned that it was pretty thick, but the comment was passed off.

Shaun Webb joined us for the little foray and we soon pulled up to the spot where I'd shot the hog. I explained again the direction I'd heard the brush cracking in.

Soon Shaun and Curtis were in the thick of the "the wall".  As Curtis would later describe it, he walked, then crawled on his knees and then had to get down on his belly to low crawl through the thicket.

I stayed at the point where the shot was made and directed the searchers by sound. I'll give the guys credit for that search. It's the nastiest thickest stuff on the entire ranch and they went into it looking for my hog. That's giving folks.

Along with the intense tangle of thorns, spikes and spines, the guys also found that it was pig heaven back in there... complete with ticks and fleas galore... not to mention the possibility of running into Mr. No Shoulders up close and personal.

I declared that section of sendero off limits for my purposes from then on.

As the days passed, I teamed up with old friend Mark Harris. He'd passed on some Javies the first day due to shot angle and we were trying a new area.

Curtis had been seeing a lot of Javies along a certain sendero (I think he counted 35 one night) and we agreed it would be a good place for Mark and his Double Bull blind and plenty of room and oportunity for me as well.

In the closing minutes of the second day, Mark closed the deal on a nice Javie.

Sensing something odd at the blind site, the Javie had crossed the fence and was passing Mark at near 20 yards.

Mark's always been a good hand with the bow and he put it on that Javie.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #237 on: March 29, 2006, 09:19:00 PM »
I really want to read it...its killing me not to read it.....but I await my coffee in the AM!!!

See you guys in the morning   :)
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #238 on: March 30, 2006, 06:48:00 AM »
Originally posted by Charlie Lamb:

Mark's always been a good hand with the bow and he put it on that Javie.

I guess he did,good shootin' Mark!!!!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline RayMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #239 on: March 30, 2006, 07:43:00 AM »
Look at those knee pads Mark is using and those boots. Thats the ticket  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©