INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: TEXAS SWEAT 06 ...Tales of the Hunts...Clips start pg 8  (Read 25164 times)

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: TEXAS SWEAT 06 ...Tales of the Hunts...Clips start pg 8
« Reply #100 on: March 22, 2006, 01:42:00 PM »
LOL...my last hunt in Texas I had a experience , all I can say is thank God for me and my Colt 45 auto ...they are still running back to Mexico ...they pulled a machet on me ...yes it was a shock...I was in double blind ...thank goodness I have great hearing , and I always remember to watch my six...old habits never die , ya know...great stories...marco#78
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline KrEn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: March 22, 2006, 01:43:00 PM »
Shooting at Javies 101- flunked

I had lost the Javies i stalked when Kyle saw me, and was sneaking along in the brush downwind of the road (Havelina Highway) to get ahead of another group. After a long and intense stalk pruning Mesquite and creeping around cactus, I was in the right spot, only to have them turn as the wind turned...
Anyway, at last, I was in another position, and they didnt turn. I was on my knees behind a large Prickly Pear at full draw   :banghead:  

4 pc surprised javies looked at the arrow passing about a foot over the sow and ran away, not even at full speed.

Now for The Excuse:

I shot bows in my youth, and was shown how to do it by my fathers longbowshooting friend. A 40# lemonwood longbow it was too, right heavy at 13-14y. Taking it up as an adult i read my Pope, and i shoot in a club with 99% olympic recurve shooters, I anchor at the jaw...

However, for a newbie, shooting Javi at 9m is a _jaw dropping experience_. Hence the above. Terry might have a pic to explain.

More later

K
-You see something, just whack it"

Offline Scott G

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: March 22, 2006, 03:27:00 PM »
The ranch we hunted was massive and Mel Riley and I spent a little time cruising the roads to find likely spots.  The first pond we found had patch of green grass on the far side of the road that looked like prime hog real estate.  I guess I let the sun get to me because I never went back to hunt it until the last evening.

When I went to set up at the pond I found an area on the corner of the pond with about a square 50 yds or so of semi open terrain.  I had to set up on the far corner of open area due to wind.  There was a patch of brush towards the center of the open space that looked like good cover to shoot from.  I used my trimmers to cut a space into it and I also made sure I cut a clear path from where I would be sitting to the brush so I could creep in without making any noise.  Finally I threw some corn on the far side of the brush within shooting range.

I waited at the edge of the big open space in one of the most comfortable ground blinds I had ever been in.  Sitting on my Niff T seat with the shortest bar installed, I sat about 2" off the ground leaning back on the limber limbs of small tree with me feet propped up on similiar limbs in front of me, almost like laying in a hammock, and actually napped a bit.

Around 6:15 I heard some noise and within seconds two hogs, about 30 lb each, came out of the brush about 20 yards to my left heading to the pond.  Interesting.  20 seconds later came a 50 to 60 pound red hog, followed a few seconds later by a similiar sized brindle colored hog.  About a minute later a 90 to 100 lb black boar came trotting through the same opening.  Showtime!

I eased up and scanned the area but couldn't see anything.  I started to pull out my 10x25's but decided to just get to my cleared out brush hole before the wind swirled.  I duck walked and crawled to my brush pile some 20 yards away.  The sweet sound of piggies crunching corn let me know I was in business!  I nocked an arrow, eased up ever so slowly and there before me where 5 hogs and the black boar was standing broadside at 10 yards.  I felt my heart in my ears goin BOOM, BOOM, BOOM...the way it always does when I start drawing on a completely unsuspecting animal.  I released and watched as my ww tipped arrow streaked and then froze in mid flight with not much more than the feathers yet to penetrate the boars shoulder, midway up the body directly above his front leg!  He took off like a scalded dog, bouncing off the first tree he came to.  I watched him closely as he made a long curved run toward the pond then circling back to the brush and finally disappearing.  I made a mental note of his path and eased out to go back to the pickup.

When I got to the truck I was suprised to see Ken Thomas already back, sitting on the ice chest in the back of the pickup, and half a dozen Javies only five yards from the back of the truck.  Turns out he already had a Javie down and I wasn't interested in shooting one with a hog to trail so we let them walk.  We both told each other our stories, drank a couple "Topo Chico's", and had a good laugh while we waited on Krister (funny how Krister get's into everyone's hunting stories!).

That evening after dinner Curtis and some others went into town to meet the 2nd group of hunters so I went back to track the hog with Curtis' dad Gary.  We found the spot where the hog hit that first tree and my whole arrow was there, in three pieces strung out over 10 yards or so.  What wasn't there was much blood.  Gary was able to follow tracks sometimes, then we would find a speck of blood and on and on for a couple hours.  We gave up at one point, but I crawled through another hole in the brush and found new hope that just added another 45 minutes of wear and tear on our knees before having to call calf rope.  damnit.

Spent all my time the next morning before having to leave and still didn't find another drop of blood.  It's really hard to take loosing an animal after everything fell into place so well on this hunt, but sometimes thats the way it ends up.  I would like to take this opportunity to thank Gary again for the time he spent helping me trail the animal...it was a great opportunity for me to spend some quality time with a quality individual, learning a few more trailing tricks from a real pro.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: March 22, 2006, 04:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by KrEn:
 (cause the corn was on the wrong side of the road    ;)    )
K
Now yer havin fun Krister.....

Yeah......I got the video...and will post it in a bit.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: March 22, 2006, 04:40:00 PM »
Sounds like Krister learned a lot on this trip! Krister was this your first hunting trip?

Offline kyle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: March 22, 2006, 05:17:00 PM »
This is cool.  Even tho I was there, I didn't get all the details of all the stories (again, just not enough time) so I get to fill in blanks in my memory.  I heard about Sooner Scott's hog but didn't get the blow by blow at the time.

GO POKES
WWJD

Offline BAO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: March 22, 2006, 05:22:00 PM »
I just read this whole thread and have one thing to say... I WANNA GO!!!  Great thread fellas, sounds like a great group enjoyed an even better time!

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: March 22, 2006, 05:42:00 PM »
Why Krister missed his Javie......

Krister\\'s legit excuse

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: March 22, 2006, 06:37:00 PM »
Wow, I just got caught up on this one.  Looks like you guys were covered up in game, great pics and stories too.  There must be more..........

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: March 22, 2006, 07:11:00 PM »
That video clip cracked me up  :D  Chad

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: March 22, 2006, 07:49:00 PM »
OK...my second eveings hunt started out with the stalk I chatted about earlier.....where I was taking pics and filming the stalk of JC and Krister.

Here's the clips on that stalk's ending....we'll the 1st ending    :D

JC\\'s  Jummpy Javie

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: March 22, 2006, 07:54:00 PM »
Wow! 8 pages already????? You guys have been busy! Tonight I'm going to rest. Tomorrow I'm going to sift through 7 days of hunt debris. I'll get caught up somewhere along the way. Remember group two? They had equally as good of a hunt. For me it's been one big blurr! A good blurr though! CK

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: March 22, 2006, 08:02:00 PM »
Good to have you back CK !!

Krister was a victim of the "deaded jaw drop"    "[tunglaff]"  

Joe Coots missed,say it isn't so....Just kiddin' bud,I've been there shootin' at coyotes...25yd shot,yote was 10ft away by the time my arrow got there!!!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Bob Walker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: March 22, 2006, 08:28:00 PM »
Hi Guys,
StephenR and I are in San Antonio waiting to fly back to Virginia tomorrow. Had a GREAT time with a GREAT bunch of Tradgangers but are about wore out! I got stickers and thorns stuck in places that I didn't even know were places. After some convencing, we talked the hotel clerk into letting us put our cooler of meat in the hotel freezer. Went out and had a great meal without jalapenos (my a$$ needs a rest!). Ready to go have a drink as there have been none of that for the last 4 days, at least that is what I can remember. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!! Talk to ya'll later after some rest.
Bob
Philippians 4:13

TGMM - Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: March 22, 2006, 08:53:00 PM »
good to hear from ya Bob..
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Scott G

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: March 22, 2006, 09:41:00 PM »
Hey Bob, you guys must have had the same food we did!  Kinda keeps ya hyper-regular don't it!

Offline clintopher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: March 22, 2006, 10:56:00 PM »
I didn't think they made food without jalapenos in San Antonio.  

Clint

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: March 22, 2006, 11:33:00 PM »

Kyle,

That's a great photo! You should send a copy to Bob Mayo at Ace. I don't think he's got a javalina photo in his booth yet.

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: March 22, 2006, 11:56:00 PM »
Congrats Kyle. Thats a great lookin Javie.  :thumbsup:
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: March 23, 2006, 01:29:00 AM »
WOW!! is all I can say.  Just walked in the door from one of the shortest but also the best trips of my life!  Friendships, stories, laughter, excitement, and oh yeah, great hunting.  What an incredible adventure the last three days have been!
Can't wait to check this out and catch up.  Got a feeling it is going to take awhile.....
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©