INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: TEXAS SWEAT 06 ...Tales of the Hunts...Clips start pg 8  (Read 25114 times)

Offline Jumper

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: TEXAS SWEAT 06 ...Tales of the Hunts...Clips start pg 8
« Reply #140 on: March 23, 2006, 02:03:00 PM »
Hey Guys!! Sorry that my response time has been so long.  I had shoulder surgery yesterday and the Dr. ended up putting in 4 pins in my scapula and shaved off some of my collar bone to help the tendons.  Everything went well.  

The hunt was absolutely fantastic, I have never hunted a ranch in Texas that had so many javalina.  You could not go anywhere on the ranch without running into them.  Let alone the hogs.  Man, big, beautiful, black tusked boogers.  That will raise the hair on the back of your neck when you try to stalk one at dark.  Makes you think twice about taking that shot or just letting them walk away.    :eek:  

I have some great pictures and a video clip of Bob Morrison shooting a rattle snake, that you guys just have to see.  I will try and post the pictures later today and get the video to Terry so that it can also be posted.  

As Kyle eluded to earlier, yes you will be seeing his broadhead again.   I took a POC shaft to the hunt with me and had all of the TXS06 1st hunt members sign the shaft.  The head Klye used to kill his javi will be mounted on that shaft and then it will be placed on the St. Judes auction.  You guys keep your eyes open for it, it holds a lot of memories from this great hunt.
"With God, all things are possible"

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #141 on: March 23, 2006, 02:03:00 PM »
I'm gonna fast forward to my "big story"   "[tunglaff]"  so the rest of these guys will get on here and tell their tales:

Terry convinced me to hunt past the pond area he had been hunting since he had seen numerous troops of javies that had not been recently pressured by anyone in our group. On our way to the area to check it out mid-day saturday, we spotted a lone javie and I made a stalk....only to find when he went behind a cactus, he did more than just slip to the edge of the brush but evaporated into thin air.

I set up in a spot well off the trail that would allow me to shoot at them without them knowing I was there....as long as the wind held. I would peak out up and down the road now and then to see if they were headed to/away from me. About an hour before dark, I saw a few emerge from the brush and turn away from me....I waited to see what would happen as javies often change direction on a whim. 6 more piled out of the opening in the brush and headed away from me. This was getting good. I started slipping in there direction, again, the wind remainded cross, but stable. 4 more javies piled out of the hole....
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #142 on: March 23, 2006, 02:18:00 PM »
SHAZAM SCOTT! Will keep you out prayers.....you sure did good for a guy who need surgery 3 days after the hunt!  :scared:

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #143 on: March 23, 2006, 02:37:00 PM »
Tell it JC!!!.......I got the clip ready!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #144 on: March 23, 2006, 02:55:00 PM »
So I'm sneaking....and everything's going right...but the danged javies are going the wrong way. I'm behind em but trying to catch em without getting caught has been a problem the whole hunt! I don't know how many javies have piled out of the hole 40 yards away, but the lane is covered in em, all feeding/moving away from me.

You know when you just get lucky? Well the last javie is a real good sized boar.....and he begins to feed away too....but stops and 180's! I freeze, slowly manuvering when I can to get further out of site. I slide off the road and find a spot to shoot through that will put him quartering away. Again, the Lord has mercy and the wind stays steady from him to me. He feeds past my position and I watch his feet through the breaks in the cactus...that's all I can see as I'm hunkered all the way on the ground doing my best to imitate a fat rock....

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #145 on: March 23, 2006, 03:04:00 PM »
"pickaspot, pickaspot, pickaspot, pickaspot" I convince myself as he feeds past, oblivious to the feathered death on my string. He hard quarters away and it's time.....the string tension builds, I raise the bow slowly....

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #146 on: March 23, 2006, 03:19:00 PM »
I think I can smell him. Can ya hear him crunching? Do you see his nose wiggle like a rat? Oooppsss! Did he hackle up and pop teeth? LOL! CK

Offline Jim Jackson

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #147 on: March 23, 2006, 03:37:00 PM »
Just got back in, and wanted to drop a line thanking everyone for a great hunt.  Whip said it best:  Curtis, you and Charlie put together a heck of a good time for us all.  Thanks for all the behind the scenes work getting it prepped, the daily stuff that all of us missed because we were all too busy enjoying ourselves, and the nights spent tracking crawling through the thick stuff.  I had a great time again, and look forward to further adventures in south Texas.  Thanks again!
Blaze out your own trail.

Offline kyle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #148 on: March 23, 2006, 03:39:00 PM »
man I love it when you get close enough to hear 'em crunchin!!!  That's when you KNOW you're close!!!
WWJD

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #149 on: March 23, 2006, 04:05:00 PM »
I honestly don't remember much past raising the bow...the next thing I new the javie was spinnin in a circle popping his ivory like a case of hot champagne. "I missed! No...I couldn't have....I saw...I know it went in where I wanted it....danged javie's don't bleed....we've lost some already....danged tracking through cactus...." All whirring through my head in a split second. I found another arrow in my bowquiver and nocked it without taking my eyes off him. Snap shot as he's spinning...DANG didn't pick a spot. Adrenaline overload now......I fumble for a THIRD arrow....he sees me and heads my way....popping all the while. OH CRUD! I'm up and backing away, sadly through a cactus....I drop the arrow off the string. Last broadhead....he turns the other direction to go around the cactus....I snap shoot AGAIN!!!!! But this time the arrow spines him, all the way through the spine stopping just at the fletching. He drops....rolls over and doesn't make a move.

The blood is now pouring on the ground....I mean it's running like he was carrying a bucketfull and dropped it when he rolled. I see I hit em all three times: first shot facing hard quartering away to my right, entered in front of the right ham exited just in front of the left shoulder. Killed him and he didn't care. Second shot was through the guts, clipped the liver post mortem discovery. Third shot severed the spine bout mid back. First two were buried in dirt, cactus on the far side of the road, third totally shredded the vertebrate and broke when he rolled.

This is the 3rd animal out of my last 5 that I have hit more than once....not sure what that says but I ain't never ashamed of layin on more wood to em if they ain't fallin down.

Had some real purdy ivory, a set of huevos that would have done a young bull proud, and more fleas and ticks than a feller can pick off himself after the drag.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #150 on: March 23, 2006, 04:12:00 PM »
I'll be true when I say it got my attention when that sucker was popping. Here's the clip of me telling the story, safe and sound back at camp....no scars other than the cactus spines STILL in my right cheek....and I ain't talkin bout my face    :eek:    
  JC\\'s  Harrowing Tale

Me scratchin in the video is cause I haven't had a shower...and the fleas was thick. Incidentally, I didn't hit that tequila in the foreground, but seriously considered it   "[tunglaff]"

Offline CheapShot

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #151 on: March 23, 2006, 04:48:00 PM »
Great story and video Joe. Good friends,lots of game, sounds like a great time was had by everyone.Thanks to all of you for sharing with us ,homebound wish we were there bowhunters.  :thumbsup:
TNGIRL....
>>>>>>>>------------>>
Ye Olde Fartes and Sore Losers,
NGTA, TBG,
TGMM Family of The Bow,
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Scott G

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #152 on: March 23, 2006, 05:09:00 PM »
Curtis and Charlie,

Gotta pile on with the other guys on the thanks to you two.  Not many people out there get covered in fleas and ticks to help out their fellows, but both of you were in it, and Gary as well.

I have 3 or 4 places I pulled ticks off that are whelped up and aggravating.  Figure you guys had four or five times that after the FIRST hunt.

Thanks again and hope to hunt with you again soon.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #153 on: March 23, 2006, 05:42:00 PM »
That's good stuff JC!!! He's a beautiful,big boar Javi,doin' anything with him? I hope you at least kept the skull to clean up.Great pic too bud..Congrats!!!

And Ol' Bob sure makes a pretty bow!!!!!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #154 on: March 23, 2006, 05:50:00 PM »
ABSOLUTELY OUTRAGEOUS.. ALL you guys  :bigsmyl:

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #155 on: March 23, 2006, 05:54:00 PM »
Yep, Curtis took the meat and his lovely, talented, wonderful wife is making some Javie salad for me. Having a skull mount done for my desk.

And thanks,yes he sure does make a fine bow. But I truly fell in love with Tippit's longbow......oooooh son! He's lucky he got it home without warping from all my slobber. I gotta go through the stable and see what I can sell to get one on order.   :readit:

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #156 on: March 23, 2006, 05:56:00 PM »
great thread guys, love the stories and the pics, keep it coming.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #157 on: March 23, 2006, 06:01:00 PM »
Nice story Joe. Javie hunting is a blast isn't it. Remind me to tell ya about the boar javie that charged me sometime. It's a thrill ha ha

Gee guess nobody mentioned to you fellas about the garbage bag and flea spray trick huh? As soon as we shoot one we drop him in a garbage bag and empty a can of flea spray in there and tie the bag up. Wait about 1/2 hour or so and it manages to kill about 75% of the fleas so ya only get bit about 100 times instead of 300 times when you're skinning them.LOL
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #158 on: March 23, 2006, 06:14:00 PM »
Man I tell you, I'm darn sure I'd rather face down them rattlesnakes then all the fleas and ticks you guys are mentioning- now that just gives me the willies  :scared:

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #159 on: March 23, 2006, 06:21:00 PM »
Im not sure what day it was that I missed a javi at 5 yards. Dad was filming from across the pond when I smelled javi's strong. I didn't wonder why for long. As I raised up to look over the log I was behind, she was staring at me. I took the slowest draw of my life and shot straight through her tall back hair. So much for being a good Archer.

I think it was the next day in the exact same spot that 35 javelina of rivaling bands arrived and roughed each other up around the pond, Gangland style. There was blood and hair flying and so on. Those javelina will absolutely STRAP IT ON!!! They kick up a dust cloud when they fight. I took some pics until another javi entered the 5 yard range. She quartered away from me and I ran her through from one end to the other. I thought I was going to have to give her some boot when she almost ran over me. She made it another 10 yards and went down. 190 Ribteck took her out. CK

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©