INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: TEXAS SWEAT 06 ...Tales of the Hunts...Clips start pg 8  (Read 24903 times)

Offline Many Arrows Lost

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: TEXAS SWEAT 06 ...Tales of the Hunts...Clips start pg 8
« Reply #220 on: March 24, 2006, 11:25:00 PM »
Well, I guess it is my turn.  This was one of the coolest things I've done in my entire life.  Let me tell you, Curtus and Charlie put up one heck of a good hunt, thanks guys. I got to thinking about it while I was there and decided that I need to get out more, this was the second time I've hunted outside Alaska in 20 years and what a great time it was.  It was real cool to meet some real live tradgangers and listen to all the good ideas everyone had about how they do things and their favorite equipment.  It is a big friendly world out there and I thank all you who made this a memorable event for me.  

It is true, everything in Texas has stickers, fleas or ticks.

I'm still pickin' the prickly pear stickers from various spots from top to bottom.

There was some really cool stuff to like several vaieties of Quail in amongst the 4 legged critters.

There was a good assortment of handcrafted stuff that folks were packin' around.

This is my Javalina...fell to a shot that was a little high and severed his spine.  Very short blood trail!  No charging, no sitting on cactus...just whack and down it went!

It was fun to have CK's dad in camp...he's a pile of fun.

I also saw lots of whitetails, a turkey, and my first wild hog.  It was a big black brute that was just a bit too skittish to get a good shot on.  All in all it was more fun than I've had in a long time.  It was hot though and I sweat my share of sweat.  A couple of days before I left it was -30F, it got up to the mid 90s F while in Texas.  It was HOT.
Athens, Illinois

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #221 on: March 25, 2006, 09:13:00 AM »
Looks like you all had a blast down there.  Thanks for sharin all the pics and stories and takin me on a little Texas vacation.  Whip, that shed you found on your return trip to the tank is a crazy story.  The horn will have some good mojo for you for years to come.  I'd rub it once in a while if I were you.   :thumbsup:

Offline Jumper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #222 on: March 25, 2006, 09:46:00 AM »
Nice pictures Ken, thanks   :thumbsup:
"With God, all things are possible"

Offline Mike aka bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #223 on: March 25, 2006, 01:28:00 PM »
Great read!  Thanks for taking us along for the ride!
"Our tools for the pursuit of wildlife improve faster than we do, and sportsmanship is the voluntary limitation in the use of these armaments.  It is aimed to augment the role of the skill and shrink the role of gadgets in the pursuit of wild things" Aldo Leopold, A Sand County Almanac, 1949.

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #224 on: March 25, 2006, 08:22:00 PM »
Sounds like toooo much fun  :wavey:    :D  .....Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #225 on: March 25, 2006, 11:52:00 PM »
That sure is a pretty bow, Curtis!!!!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #226 on: March 27, 2006, 09:01:00 AM »
Great pics Ken, glad you could make it!
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #227 on: March 27, 2006, 09:24:00 AM »
Great pictures and stories!

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #228 on: March 27, 2006, 03:01:00 PM »
Ken's pics remind me.....he and many other attendies came with gifts for others for all the other attendies....we got a trad door stop from Ken along with a CD of AK pics, an Oloo from Jumper, Hat from Bob Morrison, flint knife from Kyle, dried sausage from Curtis, a flashlight from Mel, and leather art from Jeff Springer.

Nice personal touches of the hunt....thanks guys.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #229 on: March 28, 2006, 10:25:00 AM »
that's the stuff, Terry..that everyone will remember long after the details of the animals fades...the person to person bonds that form from events such as that are real, and important, and can last a lifetime.

I'm happy you guys got to share that time together in a great spot!

And on top of everything else, you probably got enough capcasin (spelling?) that stuff in the hot peppers that kills cancer, to ward off all kinds of stuff for the rest of your lives! What could be better than that????
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #230 on: March 28, 2006, 03:28:00 PM »
Ray, now that you mention it, Terry and I both DID have an ice cream before our flight back home   :bigsmyl:
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #231 on: March 29, 2006, 05:10:00 PM »
Here's a few great pics of Dave Stinton I finaly got converted for him.....

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #232 on: March 29, 2006, 06:13:00 PM »
Awesome Pics!  
Where is Dave with the stories anyway?  I think everyone needs to hear some of his adventures.   :scared:   We got second hand versions with group 2, but they need to be shared with a wider audience!  "[laffsmyl]"
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #233 on: March 29, 2006, 07:06:00 PM »
I did get one afternoon of his on a clip.....it was posted earlier in this thread....I wish I'd have had the camera running the 1st time he told that story, cause we were rolling in the floor!!!

I've learned......take pics and get clips when the opportunity arises.   :readit:

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #234 on: March 29, 2006, 08:13:00 PM »
When Dave talks you should probably listen. You are going to need to put your beer down and don't put anything in your mouth till you are quite certain he is through sayin whatever he is saying. If you don't heed the warning, you are going to end up a spew factory. Of course the edited for family version of anything he says isn't quite the same.   :bigsmyl:

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #235 on: March 29, 2006, 11:21:00 PM »
I forgot those were there - with this stupid dial up connection I had skipped over them.  Took awhile, but it was well worth the wait!  :bigsmyl:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline jindydiver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #236 on: March 30, 2006, 01:04:00 AM »
What a great thread   :)

You guys look like you had a real ball.
Good on Curtis for putting on such a great get together

Mick

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #237 on: March 30, 2006, 08:53:00 AM »
Okay more stories! Thanks Terry for posting those pictures!

Been kinda busy, got time now so here it goes.

Day two: am kinda slow seen couple of javies missed one at bout 20yrds could not get any closer ran out of cover. Whent back to the scene of the hog hit first night. Although Curtis and I and Scotty and I had done a fair bit of lookin we ran out of sign. I hate given up on hit game so I wades back into the prickly pear for an hour or so and no luck! Unknown to me Curtis, Jerry and Banjo looked again couple hours after me with no luck either. Thanks Curtis for trying and all your help. Now the evening hunt was much more exciting! Wasn't long after I got to my prefered spot and the javies were onsite. As I stalked, more an more of em kept comin out of the prickly pear. As I stalked the main bunch there was more comin outa the cactus all around me! Curtis's comments on watch those javie when grouped up kept comin to mind. But hell they was everywhere and close, some 8 or 10ft away! So this is what a guy dreams for right? Game all around me and the wind was perfect, so as one passes at bout 8ft I let go and all hell breaks loose! Javies flyin everywhere, but I know one is a hurtin real bad as I saw the arra hit right where I wanted it to go! Now as I survey the situation this big javie and his second commander is a stalkin me! As they round the nearest pricly pear at about 7 or 8ft! I decide it's time to forget what anybody said bout shootin critters in the head and go into self defense mode! Whack! Right through the right eye at eight feet with 64#'s of Morrison!! The javie goes ballistic and ends up in the middle of a big prickly pear which he sheds to pieces an splits! Now, all this excitment has got me a shakin little bit and there is one pi$$ed off javie with a real head ache lookin for the guy with the Morrison! I back out there an go lookin for the first javie. Blood trail was great an it was recovered within 30yrds of shot. The evening is still young an I stll got more arras so I hangs the javie in cattle corral an guts it an goes a huntin. Within 20 mins more javies a spotted! After a good stalk and gettin within 15yrds I shoot clean under a good javie. Write this miss off to too much adrenaline a flowin. It's gettin close to dark and I head to pick up Bob and Gary who have been trying to get some video up the road. Man was Gary in the wrong spot that night! The past hour on video would have been priceless! Garry, Bob and I continue to look for oneye with no success. Day two comes to an end. One javie in the cooler, one more to go!
hunt it

Offline RayMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #238 on: March 30, 2006, 12:51:00 PM »
LOL...that Javie will have some character, going to be needing a patch..

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #239 on: March 30, 2006, 01:15:00 PM »
I hope so. Lets hope he forgets what this guy looks like before next March!
hunt it

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©