INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: TEXAS SWEAT 06 ...Tales of the Hunts...Clips start pg 8  (Read 24192 times)

Offline Jumper

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: TEXAS SWEAT 06 ...Tales of the Hunts...Clips start pg 8
« Reply #240 on: March 30, 2006, 03:14:00 PM »
Great pics Dave, now lets hear "the rest of the story"    :thumbsup:
"With God, all things are possible"

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #241 on: March 30, 2006, 07:41:00 PM »
I can hear it now...lil javies sittin round the cactus patch late at night....grizzled ol javelina with one eye speakin in his best Capt. Blood accent "Arrrrg, there I was....jes me an two hunert pounds of Canaygeean....had him dead to rights I did...but he was the master of his weepons....an that me boys, is how I lost me eye! Arrrggg...."
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #242 on: March 31, 2006, 08:45:00 AM »
As long as he forgets what I look like JC! Sure don't fancy trying to outrun one of them critters in the prickly pear!

DAY THREE: The Main Event.

Terry posted a video clip earlier in this same post for live action on this story.

Saturday was another beautiful hot day. The wind had picked up some and was keepin the javies on high alert. The morning was rather uneventful. The evening started off with me dropping off Scotty and Jeff Springer at their chosen locations. I moved on to the cattle corral and parked the truck. Not long after I spot this big lonely (KRISTER'S Description) javie bout mile and a half down the road. So off a runnin I goes. I close the distance to 25yrds or so but the wind has this javie a jumpin all over the place and with the wind a swirlin he gets a wiff of me an splits. So, I start a runin back to the corral to see what is movin on the other stretch. I'm a runnin pretty good when all of a sudden my eyes lock on trouble four feet out in front! I come to a stop just in time to avoid a trompin on a six foot diamondback! As I'm a lookinn for big stick he is headin for the thick stuff. Finally I thow some dirt at him an he coils up. A low shot pins him mid body to the road. He's a mighty pi$$ed off at this point but it gives me time to find a big stick. After a poundin his head to oblivion and then some I cut the head off an hang him in a tree. Not carrying this one around! Last one I carried with no head on him still coilled up and tried striken at me, kinda erie feeling even know he's got no head! So now were back enroute to corral as I get three hundred yards  or so I see's a bunch of colours a movin by my truck. I ease on into the cover and get out the binos. The clour belong to t shirts, fourteen to be specific! All worn by illeagals standin round my truck! Where is JSOG an that pistola of his when ya need him! I has but five arras and slightly outnumbered! I think about Curtis's comments bout dem locals as harmless but hen he said there's no need for snake boots either! Guess what he was wearin all week? Anyways I think about hittin the remote starter and the alarm an scaren the schnit outa dem but I has second thoughts when I figured they would all run my way to hide! So, I wait em out and they finally move off an round the corner. I gets to the truck an starts it up, let the turbos warm up an locks in the 4x4!! I comes around that bend goin sideways and accerate up to bout 80 or so and heads straight for the boys! There's a water jugs flyin everywhere and locals caught in barb wire an prickly pears but they all dissapear pretty quick! They will think twice bout eyen up the HUNT IT mobile next time!
As I get back to the corral to pick up my folding chair there stands this cow with the last 6 inches of my 3ft long bag for chair a hanging out of his mouth! Just not my day! I head off an pick up my snake and go get the boys.
hunt it

Offline Firstarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #243 on: March 31, 2006, 09:14:00 AM »
lol...LOL... ah heck ROTFLWTRDMC (...laughing with tears running down my cheeks)
Sure glad I took the advise and did not have anything in my mouth.
Being first, making a mark and being part of
something great!
Rich

May you keep the wind to your nose, have the patience of Job, and have your Firstarrow fly true.

Offline McGeeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #244 on: March 31, 2006, 09:23:00 AM »
Love the pics and stories of your trip and it gave the bug to do it myself, But I have a couple of questions for ya.

What licenses does a non-resident have to have in order to hunt hogs in Texas?

I'm thinking of making a trip next spring on my Spring break from school. It would be a 5 day hunt.

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #245 on: March 31, 2006, 09:30:00 AM »
Oh man, that's the best story I've heard in a long while. It's much better iffin ya hear the unedited version. Had my sides hurting from all the laughing!

Dave strolls up to me and says,"you know how those deer have a hard time with those high fences"? I say, "yea"... Dave says,"The Illegals have a hell of a time with em too"! He then says,"they don't have a damn bit of trouble running through cactus though"! Oh man, I about killed myself laughing!!!!!  "[tunglaff]"

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #246 on: March 31, 2006, 09:47:00 AM »
McGeeM, the non res tag is $45 for a 5 day, over the counter at Wally World.

Nice truck with full security - even the topper is alarmed with blinking warning light - and lisence plates "HUNT IT". Bet that one will be told around the fires of our guest workers' traveling camps for a while - as they pick out the prickly pear thorns.

Another Sweat hunter (Vincent) reported a crew checking his Bronco and trying the doors and rear hatch to see if he left it open.

Real close to the boarder at this ranch and near a popular ford of the Rio Grand, just a couple miles past the main highway immigration check point. Never saw a walker or a snake the whole 6 days, but they were there, part of the south Texas experience.

Thanks for sharing your story again Dave. Reminds me of the evening sharing sessions around the big table at the camp lodge. And thanks for making me feel like my drive from Iowa was not that far.

Offline McGeeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #247 on: March 31, 2006, 09:54:00 AM »
Shaun, Thanks for the info.

Offline Brian McIntyre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #248 on: March 31, 2006, 09:55:00 AM »
This "Maineiac" feels like he was there.  I know I would fit right in with the likes of you boys!  :D    I got a feeling that about 8,000 guys are going to want to go on Texas Sweat '07.  Me being right there in line.  It would be quite the experience (serious understatement).  I have hand sized mosquitos in Maine, but don't see any snakes.  That is the part that would freak me out.  Also, stinging acid reflux bugs!!   :eek:   Did I mention I hate snakes.........

MacGilla
-------------------------------------------------

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #249 on: March 31, 2006, 10:14:00 AM »
Shaun

I hope none of them guys end upkin in my neck of the woods! Great havin you along, can't wait for 07 SWEAT!! TEXAS SWEAT ROCKS!!

Brian:

This guy from the north ain't used to no snakes either. But after awhile you kinda like em. They real good on a Morrison bow!! I liked snake huntin as much as javie huntin. Though next year I will have my own snake beater and hog bat - watch out liddafella! Beuford Pusser is comin to TICKSASS in 07!! Oh yeah liddafella can ya see what ya can do bout gettin US BORDER PATROL to give a bounty on dem der illeagals? Guy could pay for his hog huntin just rounden dem up!! Can bring paddy wagon next year!
hunt it

Offline Brian McIntyre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #250 on: March 31, 2006, 10:29:00 AM »
hunt it

Not a bad idea.  You could take the first day or two to scout the land for game and gather illegals.  Is there a size limit on them??  How 'bout a bag limit??  I work for the Postal Service.  Since it's a federal job I could switch to border patrol.  Then I could round up illegals and be in prime hog/javie country!!   :D  Coming from Maine to Texas, any month for me would be Texas Sweat.  :bigsmyl:    I have every intention of being at one of these glorious events SOON.  Snakes and all.  Put 'em up, put 'em up...........

MacGilla

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #251 on: March 31, 2006, 11:14:00 AM »
Dang guys reading all your adventures and seeing all the gerat pics kinda makes up a little for not being there. Don't plan on missing out next time. Thanks for the ride!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #252 on: March 31, 2006, 01:25:00 PM »
Yep, that's the last time I miss this hunt.

Curtis, let me know when you are ready to take checks for next years hunt!
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #253 on: March 31, 2006, 02:17:00 PM »
Good to hear from you Doug! You were missed! But you were there in more ways than one. Lota the guys carrying your spirit on their belts. You drew blood on more javies than ya think. Sure hope next SWEAT is on your callender.
hunt it

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #254 on: March 31, 2006, 02:19:00 PM »
You too Jeff! Didn't even see page 18 for I replied to Doug's post.
hunt it

Offline kyle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #255 on: March 31, 2006, 02:22:00 PM »
CK is right, that is one of the funniest dang stories I've EVER heard.  Hearing come right out of Stinson's mouth when the excitement of the moment was still upon him, THAT was the best.  Curtis, I think I must have been close by when Dave came up and told you that 'cause it seems like I remember hearing him sayin that same thing.  I mean y'all ain't got NO idea how funny that was at the time.  Terry's video is from shortly thereafter and is ALMOST as good, but not the same.
WWJD

Offline Gary Kellar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #256 on: March 31, 2006, 02:34:00 PM »
Kyle, you took the words right out of my mouth, it was the funniest story I've heard in years! My stomach hurt well into the next day.  It was far better than when Dave picked-up Bob M. and I and we returned to pick-up Dave's Javy. Dave have left it hung on a fence corner post with a beverage bottle stuck in his mouth.  Should have seen Dave do his "strut" over his accomplishment.

I still have a great many pictures of "hero" shots taken of both groups.

Sure have missed all the action and fellowship this past week.  Although . . . nobody's called me "Mr. Kellar" since I left.  Sure is a relief! Gotta love Kyle and the Kinslow's, although Kyle needs some of that memory medication (spelled Tecate).

GK
If at first you don't succeed, do it like your wife told you to, to begin with.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #257 on: March 31, 2006, 04:14:00 PM »
I sure do hope these stories keep on coming for awhile!  The hunt isn't over if the stories are still being told  :thumbsup:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #258 on: April 01, 2006, 03:53:00 PM »
Good to hear from you Mr. Kellar! Gary it was great to finally meet you. Thanks for all your help with the Sweat Hunt.  Hope to see you again next year!
hunt it

Online HARL

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #259 on: April 01, 2006, 04:18:00 PM »
Dave ,Great Stuff for sure!!
62"63@28 Zipper Nitro
62"60@28 Zipper Nitro
A Doz. Hill Longbows

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement