INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: TEXAS SWEAT 06 ...Tales of the Hunts...Clips start pg 8  (Read 25165 times)

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: TEXAS SWEAT 06 ...Tales of the Hunts...Clips start pg 8
« Reply #80 on: March 21, 2006, 07:12:00 PM »
Wow,that's a great pic!!!

But ya got "one" in there Kyle   :thumbsup:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Golden Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2006, 07:22:00 PM »
Looks to me like a good time was had by all. Nice shootin Krister. Big or small any animal taken Trad is a trophy in my book. where do I sign up for next years Sweat? LeRoy
LeRoy

Charter member of TBJA (Trad Bow Junkies of America)

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: March 21, 2006, 08:27:00 PM »
My first full day was with Scott (Jumper), Dave (Hunt-it), and Bob Morrison (You bet there were a lot of Morrison's there!).  They dropped me at the top of a hill looking down both sides of the sendaros.  I think I only saw about 20-30 Javies before noon and had 12 different stalks with one miss (fletching hitting back) and one pass thru.  I'd run down on side, stalk either get a shot or be busted then get back to the top and there would be a few Javies on the other side.  It was non stop!  Some of the most fun and action I can remember.  The four of us started looking for my Javie just before lunch but Scott, Dave, and Bob might have to fill in here...Doc

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: March 21, 2006, 09:12:00 PM »
Hi Guys,

Arrived home around 1500 today. Long drive from Ticksass to Canada! Little over 5000 miles round trip. It was a great hunt, with a bunch of great guys. Little tired for story telling tonight, will work on it Wednesday. That rain in Dallas was something else! Bob and I managed to hit the back roads and detour around it, it got a little to heavey for driving so we checked into a hotel Sunday night round  Sulphur Springs.
hunt it

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: March 21, 2006, 09:24:00 PM »
Dave, I never made my air connections in Dallas.  American put me up for the night there along with tons of other weary travelers.  The Dallas airport was closed for quite awhile...tippit
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Scott G

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: March 21, 2006, 10:31:00 PM »
Guess I'll tell my piddly ass stories before Hunt It gets started cause his will be impossible to follow!

I didn't draw any blood until the second day.  After making several close stalks and a couple close misses I finally scored on one of the little buggers.  He was toward the top of a little rise on a caliche backroad and tore into the brush with a foot of arrow sticking out of either side of him.  As I approached the rise in the road another Javie appeared and promptly disappeared and, to my surprise, I met another hunter topping the rise.  

Imagine shooting your first Javie and then having Bob Morrison just appear all of sudden to help you retrieve it, cause that's exactly what happened...how cool is that! I had inadvertantly busted up Bob's stalk and he ends up helping me look for my critter.  After scouring the brush with no sign of blood, except our own from the thorns, Bob says "Well, I think your chances of finding this one are pretty slim", and he was right.

At the time I was feeling pretty low.  Nobody likes to loose game, but to come back to camp and share that with this group was especially tough.  I think I may have been one of the first to loose a Javie, but in the end it wasn't a particularly elite club.  I think all the flea's and ticks they carry keep them from bleeding!

On the last morning of the trip Bob and Krister rode along with me and Mel since we had been seeing quite a few Javies.  I dropped everyone off to hunt Javies and went looking for a hog I shot the night before (another story).  We had to be back at camp by 9:30 so it was a short morning.  

I had already picked up Mel at another place on the ranch and was driving back to pick up Bob and Krister when we saw some Javies in the road.  Mel got out to make a final stalk but they busted him and as he hopped back in the pickup I see a familiar figure top the rise...Bob Morrison again.  As luck would have it Bob got a last minute Javie at same rise in the road we met previously, but this time we had switched places and he was the one that just made the shot!

I don't know if Bob retrieved the Javie or not.  Bob and Mel looked for the Javie and later Krister and I helped but we were extremely pressed for time and had to go back to camp and pack.  Last I heard Bob was going back with a tracking dog so maybe they found him, but I don't know yet.

Sorry for the long post.

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: March 21, 2006, 11:15:00 PM »
This is getting as good as a DOUBLE 1/4 Pounder with fries  :bigsmyl:  

Don't WEAKEN guys keep it comming. This is GREAT  :thumbsup:    :notworthy:

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: March 22, 2006, 06:21:00 AM »
I agree,keep it coming!!
Curt } >>--->   

Offline kyle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: March 22, 2006, 08:38:00 AM »
My first full day (friday) started out on the same hill where Ben and I went round and round with them the night before.  I spotted four Javies about 8 am about 300 yds away and started their direction, but they fed off into the cactus.  On the way back to my sitting spot, I saw a javie down the "killing fields" road and I noticed something else bigger in the road.  Turned out to be Krister in full sneak mode and I just kicked back to watch the show.  It was so cool to watch it happen there live and in person.  I knew the tension he must be feeling.  'bout that time four or five other javies came out less than halfway between me and Krister.  I looked over the situation and realized I wouldn't mess him up by trying for them and if I did bump 'em they'd head his direction, so, a-sneakin I went.  I was able to cloae the biggest distance no problem and located a good looking place to hide and wait for them to feed in my direction.  Thankfully they did and just as I was about to get a 12 yd. shot (actually drawing my bow back) the wind swirled just the slightest bit and they all did an about face.  For some reason, two of them liked the corn back where they'd been and turned back my way.  This time the wind held and I found a hole in the mesquite in line with the javie's path.  My arrow flew true upon droppin the string and a perforated javi sped off with equal amounts of my dowel shafted, ace 200 grain super express tipped shoing on wither side of him.  I listened intently to his last run and heard him popping his jaws a little bit and then silence.  WOOOHOOOO!

I went and found Ben and we headed back to the shot site.  about the time we got there, the others came back out on the road and Ben went into sneak mode and proceeded to absolutely rock one's world with a simmons land shark.

This is a pic of my view of Ben's javie.  Its the litle black spot in the road.  This was snapped about 30 sec. to 1 minute afore Ben ruined his day.

That's a big boy double for those of you keepin score.  We definitly redeemed ourselves from the previous night.

Pictures to come.  No really I got 'em, just got to get 'em loaded.
WWJD

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: March 22, 2006, 09:27:00 AM »
Congrats Kyle...lookin' forward to more pix
Curt } >>--->   

Offline kyle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: March 22, 2006, 09:32:00 AM »
If you look on the left had side at the fence row, you can see that one leaning t-post.  That's the same prickly pear adorned section in Terry's picture of JC in sneak mode.  That was a hot spot right there!
WWJD

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: March 22, 2006, 09:37:00 AM »
Did he go to sleep LAUGHING  :bigsmyl:

EXCELLENT work MAN   :notworthy:    :notworthy:

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: March 22, 2006, 09:51:00 AM »
After Terry, Krister, and I saw the hogs Thursday, I hunted a different spot Friday to give T another chance at the hogs by the pond. I got on a bruiser of a hog but never could get to him and his partner....it's difficult to move through texas cactus brush quickly without alerting everything in a mile radius. He was a tall lanky sucker, black as coal and if he'd have grown up in GA, he would have pushed 300 easy. Looked like he had been eating cactus and rattlesnakes....reminded me of a ol time cowpuncher too long on the range. At one point I did get in a good position but the wind betrayed me. I saw a pack of javies on my way back but never could get close enough before they evaporated. I put a hex through the only rabbit I got into range on as a consolation prize.

Back at camp we regrouped, ate, headed back out for the afternoon hunt.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: March 22, 2006, 10:35:00 AM »
We'll start with the first day. We all arrived in camp round 11am and the preparations were under way in high gear. Curtis and Charlie had briefed us the night before in Laredo and we were all ready to go. The word was the place iwas crawling with Javies.

Once everyone was ready myself, Jumper (Scotty), Bob Morrison and Ken from Alaska hit the roads. We all took our chosen spots and the hunt was on. The spot I hunted comprised of an L intersection where I couls see 350yrds one way and about 2 miles the other way.My evening was full of activity, not long after parking the truck Javies were sighted 400yrds up the road. After a quick run to get closer the stalk was on! To keep this short, I stalked within 15ft and missed! Clean over the Javies back! Off I go again back to the corner. I no sooner rounded the corner and there was more Javies 150yrds up the road. A short stalk got me within 30yrds, the wind was swirling and these ones busted me and headed for the prickly pear. Back to the corner I go. As I looked up the long stretch there was a big black hog feeding at the opposite end 1 1/2 miles or so, off I go a runnin. Last light was upon me and time was short. As the hog was feeding my way and I had run out of cover I elected to sit still about 10ft from the road. The hog continued to to come my way and as he neared I got ready, at about 8ft he turned quatering away and I let fly. The arrow took the hog in the front shoulder and exited through the rear offside ham. I left the site to go and pick up Scott as he was the closest to me. Upon returning we took up the trail and followed for 100yrds or so with no luck. We headed for camp and Curtis and I retured several hours later and still no luck. The next morning Curtis and Jerry took the dog and came up hogless as well. So, the first hunt was a great evening ending with the unfortunate loss of the hog.
hunt it

Offline kyle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: March 22, 2006, 11:12:00 AM »
That's about all the GOOD pics. There were stalks made and shots missed after that. I hit one sat. night and trailed it over around and thru the cactus and stickerbushes for about 100 yds or more (as the javi crawls) and never made it more than 200 ft. off the road!!!  

Ben and I spent some time one mornin in a shootin house blind on legs. did y'all know they don't make them big boy sized? You should have seen the two of us in there.
here's some good quotes from that mornin.
"I feel like I'm committing adultery sittin in this thing" - Ben
"I sure hope that's whiskey in them bottles and not pee" - kyle
"I feel an incredible urge to say "that one's just not quite what I'm looking for, we'll let him walk" - Ben
"hey look, mexican lottery tickets - we're rich we won 50 pesos" - kyle
"You suck at coyote callin" - Ben
"What if the wind tips us over" - Ben
"if the wind is strong enough to tip BOTH of us over in this thing, we've got bigger problems than tippin over" - kyle
"I'm sure glad they put camo netting over this thing so you can't see us in here" - kyle
WWJD

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: March 22, 2006, 11:21:00 AM »
Kyle, it seemed like every time Ben opened his mouth I chuckled.   ;)  

Here's a pic for the ladies reading this thread....

Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline kyle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: March 22, 2006, 11:24:00 AM »
Those are pretty Terry.  I don't recall seeing any of those but everywhere you look in that forbidding landscape, you can find delicate beauty tucked away safely amongst the thorns and spines.

Kyle
WWJD

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: March 22, 2006, 12:21:00 PM »
Sorry to keep you guys waiting on the video clips...but the snow storm in the mid west stopped my clips from getting to Tom Mussatto our clip guru.

The CD has been delivered this AM...so I'm just a waiting on Tom.

Here's Ken Thomas with a trophy cotton tail    :D  

Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: March 22, 2006, 01:29:00 PM »
Kyle nice javie bro....those leather gloves come in handy huh????? more torn stuff in texas than I have ever seen...Ive seen some in knee pads..... did ya see any ilegals running to the USA?????? marco#78
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: March 22, 2006, 01:34:00 PM »
Marco,

Seen lots of illegals! Had 14 of em lookin in my truck windows one night! It's a long story, keep reading, I'll get to it sooner or later. When I was done with em they was a movin real fast should be by your place by now!
hunt it

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©