INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tales of TX Sweat 2007 - 1st Group  (Read 22779 times)

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tales of TX Sweat 2007 - 1st Group
« Reply #100 on: March 17, 2007, 03:32:00 PM »
The first afternoon, last saturday, we hit the ranch running. We were all suited up and geared ready to go within an hour...an orientation from Curtis and off we went.

I had the pleasure of hunting with Ted Fry that afternoon. We slipped down a heavily used trail that ran along the scenic Pecos river. Our hope was to find hogs or javelina the first day. While there was a walkable trail along the river, the second of our team had to bushwack through some pretty heavy cover as we paralleled, only to intersect at senderos every few hundred yards.

Everything had a thorn or spine...so after a couple of senderos crossed, Ted offered to switch with me and my river trail   :biglaugh:  

We found lots of sign, all old. We did manage to jump a few deer. One I got to within about 10 yards when my hair stood up on my neck from being watched. I happened to see her ear waggle before she blew out of her bed...it was encouraging to get that close in such heavy cover.

After much walking, we found a lone shade for a bit of a rest. I'm sure Ted will be happy to post a picture of me taking a break to pull cactus spines, so here's one of Ted hard at work...

We had a good talk sitting there under the tree. Ted is an open and honest man, a man with the frailty of human nature that makes mistakes and the courage of few to own up to them and move on. I immediately felt a kindred spirit with Ted and his outlook on life and priorities. I'm truly proud to call Ted a friend now and look forward to many more hunts with him.

That's what Texas sweat is all about really... the making of new friends and solidification of old friendships. It was good to be back in the same situation as previous years...

As the first evening fell, we made our way back to camp with Mel "Irish". He had seen some goats but couldn't make it happen. Ted and I found no game, but a new friendship made, gave us reason to smile as we walked anyway.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: March 17, 2007, 03:41:00 PM »
I named this little guy Bob..........Bob Walker     ;)      ;)      ;)  (inside joke)

Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: March 17, 2007, 03:49:00 PM »
Yet another stalk.......

Jeff thinking it over.........

Jeff and Tom now talking it over........

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: March 17, 2007, 04:03:00 PM »
Terry, these photos are outstanding, especially the one of ...Bob... :) ....there really pretty, nice country...marco#78
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Scott G

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: March 17, 2007, 04:27:00 PM »
I heard Irish made cabrito...maybe we can hear from him when he recovers from Sweat (and possibly from St. Patty's day!)

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: March 17, 2007, 04:40:00 PM »
My first afternoon at the ranch started with a number of little mishaps.  Thinking we were only hunting a 1/2 day I decide to just take a fanny pack and about 1/2 liter of water.  My fanny pack buckle wouldn't stay closed.  I ended up just tying a knot in the belt & slinging it over my shoulder.  Other mistake was trying to follow Dave "see ya at the next ranch" Stinson  :)   That guy can travel.  Whip & I followed.  We spotted a couple of rams and tried to make a stalk but they were gone before we could get to them.  

Here's Whip climbing:

Then on the next mesa we spotted a group of 20+ Spanish goats.  Dave was going to circle around, Whip headed back to try and find the rams, and I cut down toward them trying a push to Dave.

Final mishap of the day...while glassing the goats from one of the top benches, I took my sling pack off not realizing it til I got to the top of the next mesa.  It was too late to go back so I'd just find it tomorrow?  The most important thing in the pack was my hearing aid.  I'm sure everyone was also hoping I'd find it...What, what, what?  Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Scott G

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: March 17, 2007, 05:02:00 PM »
Can't wait to hear more Doc, and maybe see some hero pics.

The pic's look a lot different than last years Sweat.  Nice river...

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: March 17, 2007, 05:13:00 PM »
The next morning I finally found my fanny pack & my hearing  :)

Now I had 2 packs so I decide to head back to camp and re-organise.  Unlike last years sweat, rabbits were scarce but there were a couple popping out in the flats.  

So this is for Herb...we missed you.

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: March 17, 2007, 05:19:00 PM »
So, what's the specs on the gear you used to take out that little sucker, Tippit?
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: March 17, 2007, 05:20:00 PM »
Good shootin' there tippit.  Looks like you hit the only soft target around for miles.
"A conservationist is one who is humbly aware that with each stroke of his axe he is writing his signature on the face of his land." - Aldo Leopold -

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: March 17, 2007, 06:10:00 PM »
Lovin' every word guys......
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: March 17, 2007, 06:19:00 PM »
keep it comming guys i love it.
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Golden Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: March 17, 2007, 06:22:00 PM »
Don't stop now !!!
LeRoy

Charter member of TBJA (Trad Bow Junkies of America)

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: March 17, 2007, 06:58:00 PM »
Here's a cave that's definitely used by the sheep...the smell and droppings(as you can see) were both THICK!!!

Offline longbow357

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: March 17, 2007, 07:00:00 PM »
Whip: what is that bow you're holding in that pic?
looks nice!

great pics and stories guys - keepem comin.   :archer:    :clapper:

Offline Glenn Carl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: March 17, 2007, 07:04:00 PM »
Outstanding stuff guys.

Terry what kind of camera are you using? The picture you zoomed in on the goats is a great picture.

JC can we hunt on your new found ranch?

Tippit that knife is beautiful, and your generousity is second to none.
"This is cool"  My 7 year old son Ian after shooting his new youth bow built from Elk Ninja's build-along

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: March 17, 2007, 07:08:00 PM »
The next day, our first full one, I decided to strike out on my own up the face of what Curtis and Gary called "the lookout" in search of what critters might be on top.

As the sun came up, it afforded a wonderful view of the ranch and the river.

The view of the lookout from below....

From up top...

A bit of sidehilling on the greased softballs that passed for footing and I was at the top of the mesa....with goats already all around. Most of the ones I topped out into had lambs in tow however....but I still practiced my sneak and slip to get close anyway. It was good to be in predator mode after too many long days at work.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: March 17, 2007, 07:40:00 PM »
Great stuff guys
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: March 17, 2007, 07:45:00 PM »
The end of the first full day brought in a Texas Thunder Boomer with some pretty good winds.  I was back up top stalking those goats I saw the first afternoon.  They were all coming straight for me when the wind started picking up & swerling.  They dropped down one bench under me and I proceeded to make one goat do the Texas Two Step as my arrow went between her legs.  Goats 1 / Doc 0!  That won't be the last time the goats out score me  :)  

The sky got real dark and I went down the mesa as fast as these 61 yr legs could go.  But the old saying at the end of storm...

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: March 17, 2007, 07:49:00 PM »
Terry mentioned the "land mines" we had to make our way through....these were some of the worse cactus I've ever encountered. As he said, what frequently stuck to one heel ended up in the opposite calf   :eek:  

As I made my way around the mesa, I found more and more animals. I made a stalk on this "billy" only to find what I was looking at were udders...so I backed back out and got my camera for a pic...she caught me coming back for "coup"

Numerous opportunities presented themselves that morning....but for some reason...it just didn't feel right. I was after a big billy so I continued to count coup throughout the morning wiht first my bow by drawing but not releasing then with the camera when I could.

This one I ambushed in it's feeding lane, passing right by me at about 3 ft. I poked her with my bow tip....and she hollered "NAAAAHHH!!" but never looked up. She thought another goat was horning her! This pic is at about 5-7 yards as she fed my way.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©