INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tales of TX Sweat 2007 - 1st Group  (Read 22801 times)

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tales of TX Sweat 2007 - 1st Group
« Reply #140 on: March 18, 2007, 04:59:00 PM »
ok guys,let's get on with it....this is too long to wait even for me    :p

so much more to come.....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #141 on: March 18, 2007, 05:49:00 PM »
JC,

Wonderful pictures of the flowers. Texas has a lot of terrible, thorny, unforgiving plants but it produces a wonderful contrast with the flowering blooms that you see.

I was wondering if anyone saw any javi's? I think I remember hearing that Curtis said this location didn't have any hogs but he had seen some Javelina on previous trips.  

Chris
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #142 on: March 18, 2007, 07:50:00 PM »
The 4th day found me back up top with the White Woollies by myself.  The big groups seemed to have more single stragglers today...fewer eyes to spot ya.  No such luck...it was Maternity Day!

I saw 3 different goats give birth.  One that I stalked just stood at 5 yards.  As I drew my bow I heard a faint bah.  Luckily I had my hearing aid in cause this is what came out of the cedar at my feet...still wet & bloody.

I should have taken my call bag with penicillin & betadine instead of my bow today.  I'm not sure if I can write the trip off as a farm call or not  :)  

I did have a nice day.  No shots so therefore no stray arrows...Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #143 on: March 18, 2007, 07:53:00 PM »
Renewable resource in action. Great pics Doc!
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #144 on: March 18, 2007, 07:54:00 PM »
Thanks Andrew, for once, everything went right. It was one of those rare days when everything came together more than once.

Chris, I agree with the contrast: the flowers were as beautiful and delicate as the spines were forboding and severe.

No javies seen...HuntIt saw a couple a few miles up the river on a sand bar on another ranch's feeder. No hogs other than LOTS of sign along the river....though all maybe a couple of weeks old. This ranch has gotta be thick with em at times...but sadly not while we were there.

Monday morning Whip and I teamed up to hit the opposite side of the ranch in search of barbados sheep. We made a slight miscalculation going in on what we thought would be the easiest route. Well, needless to say, it wasn't   :wavey:
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #145 on: March 18, 2007, 08:11:00 PM »
Very cool!!

JC, that close up of that cactus flower doesn't even look real... Incredible!!
Curt } >>--->   

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #146 on: March 18, 2007, 08:55:00 PM »
With all that limestone, there's got to be some nice beds of chert somewhere...  Anybody see any on that place?
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #147 on: March 18, 2007, 09:00:00 PM »
Woody, I thought the same thing...
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #148 on: March 18, 2007, 09:01:00 PM »
Just got off the phone with Curtis.......

Lots of action and opportunities.....but nothing down yet.  Walt Francis hasn't made it in tonight yet though........
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #149 on: March 18, 2007, 09:35:00 PM »
Woody, I was looking for iron so I can't tell what chert looks like  :)   There did appear to be a lot fractured rock that looked like some type of flint...so much for my rock knowledge.  Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #150 on: March 18, 2007, 09:35:00 PM »
I'm finally here and will try to pick it up a bit.  Had our State Trad Archers convention this weekend so I have been missing out on this story telling and reading.

The first morning of the hunt Tique and I headed up the hill behind camp.  The first draw we looked in had a group of sheep with a total of nine nice rams feeding towards us from across the valley.  Dave stayed on top to keep an eye on them while I cirlced around to try to get on the same hillside as them.  

Naturally, by the time I got in position the sheep had worked their way to the hillside I had just left.  But Dave was able to work his way down to a large rock in front of them to lay an ambush.  Unbeknownst to us, Dave Stinson was working the same group, and bumped them back towards me.  As they feed my way I began to think it might just come together yet.  Until I made a careless movement.  
Busted!

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #151 on: March 18, 2007, 09:58:00 PM »
Well, it's kind of hard to see in the photo, but the two ewes on the left have me pegged.  Note the big black guy in the center of the picture though.  This won't be the last we hear of him....

I stood in my ambush spot for nearly two hours, but the sheep didn't trust it and eventually moved off.  I backed out and circled around to get in front of them again, and ran into Dave Stinson again.  He was still on the prowl as well.  We formed a quick plan with me dropping down in front of them, and he trying to come in from above.  As I came around the point this is what I found.

Trees and bushes are rare up there, but Dave had managed a perfect hit on one of the few around!  What happened to the sheep Dave??  :smileystooges:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #152 on: March 19, 2007, 12:12:00 AM »
Awesome stories and pics. Keep them coming guys!

Terry, Congrats on your goat!  :clapper:
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #153 on: March 19, 2007, 07:03:00 AM »
JC has already started the story of the morning he and I headed out together and the harder than it had to be hike to the top.  I guess it's on me to finish the story for him.

I had been wanting a chance to hunt with the Little Delta Bow for some time, and now was my opportunity.  Being able to carry a bow with a history like that, and share it with a guy like Joe - days like that just don't come around very often.  It was a real treat.

As we got to the top and stood looking around to decide on our next move, I looked to my left and noticed a few sheep feeding.  They seemed to be pointed in our direction, so we eased up to the closest juniper bush and hunkered in.  The herd was mostly ewes and lambs, along with about a 3/4 curl ram.  Although a dry ewe would be just fine with me, I sure liked the looks of those horns!

It seemed the LDB was working its magic as the sheep feed slowly in our direction.  Eventually they closed in on us, and as ewe and lamb feed just on the other side of our bush I worried she was going to bust us.  Then as if drawn by an unseen power, the ram walked directly towards us, stopped and looked at me a couple of times, but apparantly recognized no danger.  At fifteen yards he turned broadside and offered me his side.

I drew the bow back and before I knew what was happening, I watched in horror as my arrow flew sideways towards him, with the feathers bouncing off his rump!  I had blown it!  The Little Delta Bow is a special bow, and nobody wanted to be the guy who broke it.  I think all the talk had gotten into my head, and I couldn't bring myself to draw the bow to my full 29" length.  Arrow flight was horrible, and I felt awful as I watched the sheep go back to feeding 75 yards away.
The quality of this little movie is not all that good, but the title is appropriate.  Ted Fry calls it the "Little Delta Blow"  The first image is a still shot that I lightened up a bit and you can see the ram just to the left of my shoulder.  Click on the second image to start the movie.

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline PaPaFrank

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #154 on: March 19, 2007, 08:19:00 AM »
Great pictures and Stories for those of us trapped somewhere between winter and spring!!!  THANKS a BUNCH!!! it's really appreciated...
Keep it Simple
TGMM  Family of the Bow
PBS

Offline Jim Jackson

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #155 on: March 19, 2007, 09:00:00 AM »
Great stories everyone.  Nice to be able to follow along and experience the trip through your pictures and memories.  Thanks to all!
Blaze out your own trail.

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #156 on: March 19, 2007, 09:34:00 AM »
Awesome images and story telling!  Thank you all for your efforts!   :thumbsup:  

Whip:    
I think all the talk had gotten into my head, and I couldn't bring myself to draw the bow to my full 29" length
Don't be too hard on yourself and your concentration, it looks like (from video) there was some limb interference that impaired arrow flight.  Your upper bow limb did a dance with the bush limb.  A good reminder to us all to watch our tips.

Now get to posting the comeback story......
"A conservationist is one who is humbly aware that with each stroke of his axe he is writing his signature on the face of his land." - Aldo Leopold -

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #157 on: March 19, 2007, 09:49:00 AM »
Yeah....I saw the limb contact with the cedar in the clip....great experience with the bow regardless sir!

Great pic of Dave too he he!!!!!!!!!!   That's a classic for sure  :thumbsup:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #158 on: March 19, 2007, 10:21:00 AM »
Shucks! I had hoped the video would come out better than that! The still pic helps put into perspective the shooting position...and dang if that ram wasn't absolutely gorgeous color.

Oh well....anyway, Joe was under some intense pressure. Seems I spooked him when I told him not to even touch me with the LDB, I didn't want to be infamous for blowing up that piece of history. So it got to working in his head and he was afraid of drawing his 29" and it blowing. Heck, he's got steel in his britches for even packing that thing up the mountain!

He was a good sport about it, I sure felt bad for him but we all know even the close ones aren't a gimmie until the animal is on the ground.

I had a great time hunting with Whip. We had quite a few more close calls that day but just couldn't make them come together. I was so caught up in the moment hunting that day I took no pics...maybe Joe has some more.

Where's Ted Fry at? Maybe he'll tell the story of his bird-dog antics later that afternoon after meeting up with Whip and me...   :saywhat:  

I'll move on to the next day until we can hear more from Joe and Ted...

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #159 on: March 19, 2007, 10:26:00 AM »
As far as good arrow head material, Ted and I found some "Texas Tan" at the tree he was sleeping under. He said it was good stuff but most of the other wasn't suitable...at least that we saw that day. I know nothing about knapping so couldn't tell you about any other spots.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©