INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tales of TX Sweat 2007 - 1st Group  (Read 22862 times)

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tales of TX Sweat 2007 - 1st Group
« Reply #180 on: March 19, 2007, 06:28:00 PM »
Those clips were awesome Terry thanks for sharin. The back of that jacket was purty cool too!!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Adam Keiper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #181 on: March 19, 2007, 06:46:00 PM »
Great stories and photos guys!  I'm enjoying the heck outta this post.  Congratulations to all who scored!

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #182 on: March 19, 2007, 06:53:00 PM »
You guys ROCK,this is awesome!!!

Dave, That's a great Ram bud!! CONGRATS on a fine trophy    :notworthy:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #183 on: March 19, 2007, 06:57:00 PM »
I wish Mel and John would chime in.....I'd love to hear there stories again.

I'm about out of pics.....I got a few fill ins left I think.....

BTW......those sheep were LOUD....and came across the canyons and banged ya up side the head at times.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #184 on: March 19, 2007, 07:15:00 PM »
One eve Whip and I went down by the river with the mesa to our backs and set up varmint calling for 2 sets. First set while we were calling, we heard "WHOMP....WHOMP.....WHOMP". After we moved we talked about that deer stomping up on the hillside upset at our calling.

The second set, I heard it again and got up to look up the steep hillside at what was causing the sound. There, silhouetted against the skyline, waaaaay up on top, were two rams smacking it out....the WHOMP were there horns clashing! That was worth the price of admission I'll tell ya!
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #185 on: March 19, 2007, 08:20:00 PM »
Your right JC, those boys were really going at it!  They would back up to 15 yards or so apart, stare each other down, and then just lower their heads and bring it full bore!  Looked like some kind of National Geographic special, and we had front row seats!  That HAD to hurt!  :knothead:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #186 on: March 19, 2007, 08:35:00 PM »
The next day, Whip, Tique and I decided to go up the hill right behind camp to see if we could put the sneak on the sheep.

On the way up we ran into one of the caves the animals used for shelter...smelled like my barn.

The beautiful view from the top towards the river

When we got up there, Dave Stinson was already there. He's the bump to the left of the lone tree.

I had no desire to blow his stalk so I sat tight. Whip and Tique circled way around to his left and I stayed on his right. A bit later, the sheep moved and ran by at about 50 yards....some nice rams in the bunch...only problem is they were well below me and gettin on down the road. Dave circled to get at them again and I stayed on top to watch Terry and Tom on the opposite canyon.

After seeing Tique set up on another heard of sheep and then Dave again twice more as I was moving around, I decided it was just too many folks in that area. I love hangin with these guys but these critters were tough enough to hunt as it was and I just hate the thought of messing up someone's hunt so I started back down the hill to find out if anything was hanging in the bottoms that no one seemed to be huting.

On the way, the mountain laurel was in full bloom and smelled like rich perfume all over the hillside.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #187 on: March 19, 2007, 08:38:00 PM »
The spanish dagger was in bloom too, flowers so luxuriant they looked good enough to eat...like scoops of vanilla ice cream. Like most everything though, the beauty belied the vicious protection of sharp spines. I think these things could do some serious harm if you fell on one...the leaves were very sharp and very stiff easily penetrating your pants and into your leg if you bumped into one.

Springtime was in full swing and I was simply capivated by the number of seemingly delicate flowering plants surviving such a harsh environment.

I made my way down this wash...the trees giving me some familiar comfort after spending the last few days out in the sky. I'm used to the thick woods here at home so was feeling a bit out of sorts. I spent the rest of the morning playing chase with a small heard of deer and a vanishing porcupine.

Saw 6 different deer as well as this lil scrape.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #188 on: March 19, 2007, 08:38:00 PM »
After seeing this expert scraper's work, I headed back to camp to find another at work...

I spent the rest of the morning listening to Charlie tell stories and give seasoned advice on the tillering of Curtis's new selfbow. Again, the true purpose of this hunt was the time spent with good friends...it was time well spent.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #189 on: March 19, 2007, 08:54:00 PM »
When I got back to camp that day Charlie was pitching in with some string making for that bow.

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #190 on: March 19, 2007, 09:44:00 PM »
This just gets better and better....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #191 on: March 19, 2007, 09:47:00 PM »
JC those pics of the flowers are just way cool.
I'm sharing with the family and they are just lovin it.

This just keeps gettin better!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #192 on: March 19, 2007, 09:51:00 PM »
keep it comming boys this is great stuff.  :thumbsup:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #193 on: March 19, 2007, 10:45:00 PM »
Wow this thread is great. Keep it coming guys!
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #194 on: March 20, 2007, 07:06:00 AM »
The days were flying by, and tend to run together in my mind, but I think it was the third afternoon when JC and I were back in camp early enough to head to the river and see what fish could be found.  We recruited Gary as our guide, and I took my bow for carp, while JC rigged up a 3 weight flyrod.

I had only bowfished once before, and that was a long time ago, so this was pretty new stuff to me.  The water was clear, and running fast, and I was having trouble figuring out how to hit the buggers.  As those who have done it know, you have to hold low to hit what you're aiming at, and I soon found there is a learning curve involved.  Wasn't long though and I found a carp tailing in some shallow water.  With his back out of the water I didn't have to worry about a distorted image, and was soon hand lining a nice carp back to shore to the cheers of my gallery of two behind me.

JC limbered up the flyrod, and taught the bass a leason or two.  I think his final tally was 12 bass that day, with the largest probably 2 1/2 lbs.

When we finished JC gave me a leason on carp skinning and making some fine leather for a project.  He skinned the fish first, and then removed the scales one by one by hand rather than just scrapping them off.  He explained that doing it that way leaves the color and pattern intact, and indead when he was finished we had two beautiful skins with a deep rich gold background and black markings.  Those are going to make him a nice armgaurd!  Unfortunately I was so engrossed in watching the process I never thought to get my camera and record the results.  :knothead:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #195 on: March 20, 2007, 07:16:00 AM »
What do you mean make "him" a nice armgaurd?!!?? I don't even shoot with one....so I guess I'll have to make one for the guy that shot the carp    :rolleyes:  

Whip failed to mention he shot the carp IN THE EYE..."learning curve" my hind end!

Thanks guys, I really like to take the pics of the flowers while I'm hunting...especially in TX. So many beautiful things to see in a place that at first glance, looks desolate. I truly appreciate the wonder of God's creations and the beauty he saw fit to imbue them with.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #196 on: March 20, 2007, 07:26:00 AM »
You do a much better job on the flower pictures than I do JC, but I did find a couple.  The flowers where a real treat to find and such a stark contrast to the harsh and unforgiving nature of the rocks and thorns.

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #197 on: March 20, 2007, 07:33:00 AM »

Here is the gang from Sweat Hunt #1/07
hunt it

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #198 on: March 20, 2007, 07:35:00 AM »

Here is Gary,John,Mel and Dave resting after the hunt.
hunt it

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #199 on: March 20, 2007, 07:35:00 AM »
A parole officers nightmare there. lol
(the group shot)
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©