INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tales of TX Sweat 2007 - 1st Group  (Read 22800 times)

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tales of TX Sweat 2007 - 1st Group
« Reply #200 on: March 20, 2007, 07:39:00 AM »

If you can enlarge this one, you will see a big line of Corsican rams running along the trail at bottom of hill on lower side of river. This was after being chased for a few hours, they all bailed off the mountain and ran up that trail towards camp. Camp is 400 yrds to the right on that trail. Ted can tell you more about that spot!
hunt it

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #201 on: March 20, 2007, 07:40:00 AM »

One fine bow rack!
hunt it

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #202 on: March 20, 2007, 07:52:00 AM »
Thanks for the comments on the ram guys! JC, those sure are nice pictures of the Fauna and Flora. I had it in my mind so many times to stop and take pictures of some of those blossoms but was always in overdrive and never did. It's funny looking at all the pictures as I don't think there is one square inch of that mountain above camp that I don't recognize.
hunt it

Offline kctreeman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #203 on: March 20, 2007, 07:56:00 AM »
Hey you guys are doing a great job at the story telling and pictures.  Makes my feet hurt all over again just looking at those hills.  I'll let you guys tell the hunting stories and I'll share a few other thoughts.

It was also a time to relax and enjoy the time away from our busy lives.  I spent one entire afternoon watching CK Little Feather scrape on an osage stave.  The guy is a master at building those self bows. I can't wait to see the finished product.  Charlie Lamb was also sitting there with us telling stories.  It was a great learning experience watching that guy twist a 3 bundle string together.  I watched the other guys sharpen broadheads each night.  I didn't know there were so many ways to put an edge on a head.

The TX Sweat was a great time of hunting but someday after the details of the hunt have faded I hope the memories and friendships remain bright.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #204 on: March 20, 2007, 07:58:00 AM »
I thought the same thing Dave. With your bow rack pic, I remember standing there thinking "I know I could get it down off this mountain, but how would I get it home without busting it"

That was up near the jagged rock right?  :biglaugh:  (inside joke guys...EVERYTHING was a jagged rock)
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #205 on: March 20, 2007, 08:47:00 AM »
Whip,
What kind of head is that that you took the carp with?
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #206 on: March 20, 2007, 10:20:00 AM »
Chris, That was a Muzzy quick release carp point I bought from 3 Rivers just for this trip.  I've been wanting to give bowfishing a try anyway, so this was a good excuse to gear up for it.

Somone asked earlier about my bow, and I forgot to answer that.  It is a Griffin two piece takedown with the bevel lok system.  53# @ 28, but I pull it to 29".
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #207 on: March 20, 2007, 11:14:00 AM »
Nice fish Joe, now about those legs....  :scared:
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #208 on: March 20, 2007, 12:16:00 PM »
Not exactly a fashion statement when your legs are whiter than your teeth  "[dntthnk]"   But hey, after spending a winter bundled up it felt good to expose them no matter how bad they looked!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #209 on: March 20, 2007, 03:15:00 PM »
Tippit must be busy working....I need his pics to finish up the last part of my story....Post em if you got em Jeff!

Last hunting day, Jeff and I decided to mosy up to the angora side of the ranch and see what happened. We picked our way up the draw then sidehilled up to the top of the mesa. We still hunted all around the area I that had been covered with goats just a few days before, only to see a grand total of 3. The old "don't pass up on the first day what you would take the last day" started ringing in my head. I had tempted the Lord too many times over the gifts he gave me earlier that week with all those critters in bow range.

Shaking off the negative thoughts, Jeff and I enjoyed each other's company and fell into a pretty good huntin mode. Moving off in the direction of the windmill that provided water to the areas water troughs, we stopped periodically to glass. Things began to pick up...we say quite a few goats moving in that direction so off we went.

Halfway there, I spotted some movement and Jeff and I went into "the crouch"...you know, the one you instinctively hit when you see an animal before it sees you?

Jeff told me to go get them, even though he had yet to take an animal too...that's the kinda guy Tippit is. Anyway, I did my best of a low crawl across the spikey landmines and sharp rocks to get into an ambush position along a line of juniper. The goats were quickly feeding my way. I looked back at Jeff and with a big smile, nocked an arrow, hopeful we would both see action very quickly.

The goats got closer....and closer....until I had a group of 3-4 at my 9 o'clock eventually got within 10 feet...still unaware of my presence. But...I was being picky again. I had selected the biggest horns out of the herd...not a billy but if I was gonna shoot one, I wanted not only one without a lamb but representative headgear too. I could see she was old...the horns worn in the middle, no lamb in tow, chewed up ears. As she fed closer, I prayed...."OK Lord, I'd like that one right there...but you've put me on so many, I'm not gonna shoot unless it's a great shot op...if I get busted, so be it."

No sooner had the prayer left my hushed lips when the old girl stood up on her hind legs, front feet in the tree to get a nibble...revealing a pink patch of skin where the hair was thin in the middle of her chest. "Ok Lord, I gotcha!"

I slowly raised the new shrew as the animals within spitting distance froze....I knew if they bolted the old girl would still have to come down and might pause while deciding what to do....but everything just went into still mode.

I remeber starting the draw and seeing the pink patch I wanted to hit....then the next thing I know is a "THWUMP" as the arrow disappeared in her chest.....

Goats took off in all directions...save one....the old girl dropped down out of the tree, all but the fletching protruding from her back. She looked around confused...dazed even. In keeping with my theory, I immediately got another arrow on the string. She saw the movement but didn't move....I picked a spot near the shoulder....my mind racing that in all that I somehow managed to make a poor hit and I'd have to track her all over that rough country. The second arrow zipped completely through the front of the chest broadside...and she crumpled where she stood.

Tippit grinned like a cheshire cat, reaching out to me for a hearty handshake while I stood a bit dazed myself that it all happened so perfectly and fluidly.

She fell literally in her tracks, in the shade of the tree she was feeding on. Post mortem revealed the Woodsman (sharpened a-la Charlie Lamb style) entered between the front legs slightly on the left, exiting to the right side of the spine breaking ribs coming and going, shredding the lungs. The second arrow pushed the Simmons Interceptor and bleeder through both upper leg bones...breaking both, hence the drop, we found it 10 yards away stuck in an ear of prickly pear.

I meated her out where she lay, removed the head and a bit of the neck hide to make something out of. I packed the meat in a big plastic bag I carry, with my frozen water bottle and was able to cool it down enough to stay hunting with Tippit. He had gone off in search of a group but returned just when I finished the work so we sat in the shade and had some lunch.

As we talked I resharpened both heads, washed the feathers sparingly with some water and got ready to play backup....

Now....Tippit's turn....

Oh, equipment specs: My new 56" Super Shrew Deluxe Zebrawood/Ziricote, 58#@27". Both arrows were 28 1/2" Beman ICS Hunter 340 with 50gr brass insert, 4 fletch low profile banana feathers. First head was a 200gr Wensel woodsman, second was a 200gr Simmons interceptor with bleeder superglued in place. Total arrow weight about 540gr.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Arrowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #210 on: March 20, 2007, 03:28:00 PM »
JC I knew your were holding out on us.  Way to go.  I have enjoyed reading all of the stories and looking at the pictures.  Wish I could have been there.     :thumbsup:    :campfire:    :clapper:
Keep It Simple

Jeff Kitchens

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #211 on: March 20, 2007, 03:36:00 PM »
:clapper:     :clapper:    :clapper:

Jeff's turn to post up now.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #212 on: March 20, 2007, 03:38:00 PM »
Looking Good guys.

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #213 on: March 20, 2007, 03:56:00 PM »
That's just sweet, JC. You must be livin right!!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #214 on: March 20, 2007, 04:08:00 PM »
i new i could count on you jc awesome shot bro.  :thumbsup:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #215 on: March 20, 2007, 08:21:00 PM »
I was hunkered down behind JC just watching the master stalk in on the White Woollies.  I took a few pictures of JC's stalk but my camera focused on the tree I was behind.  Here's JC on hands & knees out of focus but you can tell by the body language he was intent.  So much so that another group was coming in from the left of the picture.  I thought they were going to blow the stalk.

Here's JC's 2nd shot.  She was already down but it was nice insurance from tracking her.

Up close & personal with JC's goat.  Well done my friend.

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Budog56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #216 on: March 20, 2007, 08:49:00 PM »
Just gets better and better..  :thumbsup:

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #217 on: March 20, 2007, 08:59:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing that Jeff.  I certainly enjoyed our day together being the camera man....that lunch break leaning on the water tank in the shade was like an oasis wasn't it?
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #218 on: March 20, 2007, 09:05:00 PM »
That is a great looking goat. Great job JC. Thanks guys for sharing all the great storys and PICS!<><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #219 on: March 20, 2007, 09:13:00 PM »
Well as JC was dressing out his goat, I stalked up on a herd of about 20 goats but couldn't close into range.  As they moved on I went back to have a bite to eat with JC.

With the meat & head stored, we started to look for some critters for me.  I don't think we traveled more than a hundred yards when when JC motioned to stop.  He heard lambs near by.  It wasn't in my hearing range yet (sure is an advantage to have good hearing  :)   I saw the White Ones and tried to make sure any that came by didn't have kids.  Sneaking up in front of JC I had a lone goat right in front of me.  When I pulled back my limb tip hit the branches of the cedar tree I was under & the arrow sailed over her.  Luckily she didn't even hear it.  Stepping back from the tree I let another arrow go and hit her in the neck.  She trotted off & fell over on her back with her feet straight in the air.  Finally a goat down...but she seemed to shake that off and started walking again.  I took a long shot just trying to get another arrow into her but it sailed by her.  JC came up taking a shot that just went over her back.  There we stood with a nice blood trail but no goat.  As I turned around, Mel & Dave T showed up out of nowhere.  We all started tracking her and out of nowhere Curtis shows up.  It was  a tradgang convention on top of the White Woolly Mesa!

It seems that CK & Mark Horn had seen the entire stalk & shots.  As the group of goats headed their way they noticed my goat with blood on her neck following.  Mark proceeded to put 2 more arrows into her.  When JC & I caught up with Mark she still going.  I finally got to put her down.  They can be incredibly tough animals. I also had a real hard time picking a spot on an all white body.  Plus their coat hangs down so far that it's easy to send an arrow thru what you think is body only to find just hair.

Mark sure make an easier job of tracking for me.  Thanks Mark & JC...Doc

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©