INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Virginia squirrel hunt logistics thread  (Read 11451 times)

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Virginia squirrel hunt logistics thread
« Reply #120 on: January 30, 2006, 10:08:00 PM »
And then she poked him with that stick!  Just kidding.  Killy, I don't know if you saw us pass you on I-95 heading north, but Joe was yelling and waving at the "real nice lady who almost hit the bullseye!"
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #121 on: January 30, 2006, 10:17:00 PM »
I am wondering how I ever got ahead of you! Nope, I didn't see you. Looking forward to shooting with you again. Bring the kids!

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline clintopher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #122 on: January 31, 2006, 09:25:00 AM »
Kathy, you've an eye for the camera.  Great pics.  Sorry about the jerky.  Tom gave me a nod and left the bag on my tailgate when everyone went out for the afternoon hunt.  I felt like an addict at a crack lab...just couldn't help myself.

Clint

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #123 on: January 31, 2006, 03:29:00 PM »
Oh stop sucking up, you you you...

Uh, what ARE you, anyway?
When I kept hearing how Trad Gang members watch out for each other, I think I took it in the wrong context.   :archer:  

Killdeer

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline clintopher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #124 on: January 31, 2006, 03:39:00 PM »
There's a big difference in sucking up and paying a compliment.  If I'd been sucking up I would have told you what a good shot you are.   :saywhat:

Clint

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #125 on: January 31, 2006, 03:51:00 PM »
To maintain a veneer of credibility, a good suck-up never tells a blatant lie. Once caught in THAT, the technique loses its efficacy.

Time for another girly beer.  :bigsmyl:

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #126 on: January 31, 2006, 06:46:00 PM »
Kathy at her best - interacting with folks and their kids of like interests and launching things at targets - oh and relaxing - a fine art in itself    :p .
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #127 on: January 31, 2006, 09:16:00 PM »
I sure wish we had stopped and taken a group picture. Not only do I like to compare this year's wrinkled old codgers against  last  year's wrinkled old codgers, but the crumbsnatchers grow so much in a year!

I didn't recognize Connor, though it had only been a bit over six months since I saw him at ATAR. Bobby, too, is a somewhat larger lad than he was last year, and still has that wonderful red hair and ready grin. Even when I booted a rubber ball upside his punkin' haid.  :eek:  Luckily it was a soft ball and a hard target, because it was a perfect center hit on his forehead.

Matt's son Chad has gotten taller, and gained prolly fifteen pounds, but it's all hair. His beautiful flowing locks got him a thorough razzing. Being a child of the sixties, though, I thought it was neat.  :cool:  

The young folks had a general blast, and were alternately playing kickball, shooting, running around like banshees, teaching each other math or playing cards. Chad learned the famous Squirrel Camp Card Game. Well, maybe it wasn't as famous as I thought, 'cause he didn't know it afore he got into camp this year. He knows it now, though! I can't believe that we didn't play 52 Pickup last year...

It was a treat to see last year's crew, and meet some new faces this year. The old faces were; Badger Matt and son Chad, Tom and Chris and Connor Bohl, Bob and Bobby Walker, with a much-enjoyed visit with the charming Brenda, and of course Clintopher, (who politely managed not to cut himself overtly over the course of the hunt) and our charming host Tommy (Stringcutter).

People I met for the first time were Jerry Deglow, Woody Blackwell and his son Joe, and Daryl Tyson. I thoroughly enjoyed every minute spent this past weekend, and hope to see all of these people again. Well-launched arrows, pleasant conversation and tasty vittles filled the hours, with the added treat of seeing kids being kids thrown in for grins. I feel blessed.

Thanks Tommy, and the members of the Hunt Club who graciously allowed us the access to beautiful hunting land and the clubhouse.  :readit:  

Our Host

:bigsmyl:   :wavey:

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline themonkey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #128 on: February 02, 2006, 10:50:00 PM »
hey killdeer, what kinda arra is that on the shot of you crouched down, what is it like 40 inch arrow?
Don't deal with me, I stole from the St Jude's Auction.

Offline clintopher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #129 on: February 02, 2006, 11:04:00 PM »
It's an atlatl dart.

Clint

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #130 on: February 03, 2006, 06:03:00 AM »
And it's six feet long...  :scared:

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #131 on: February 03, 2006, 10:13:00 PM »
Tom! You ol' rapscallion!   :D    
I am going to give some of that fine jerky to ApplePie tomorrow, as he is up visitin' until tomorrow night.

Not TOO much jerky, 'cause he didn't make it to the hunt!

Thank you! Clark (Mockingbird) says that this jerky is made by someone who knows what he is doing, and loves venison. I am trying hard not to scarf down the whole bag. I will succeed, too, because I have more willpower than  some  of our company.  :knothead:  

Killdeer  :bigsmyl:

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #132 on: February 03, 2006, 10:24:00 PM »
i've always suspected Killie was a Venison Jerky addict .    ;)

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #133 on: February 04, 2006, 06:02:00 AM »
Bernie, this surprise package arrived in my mailbox yesterday, and it is the tenderest, moistest, sweet-smoky jerky that you can imagine.

Tom is a Master Jerk. Uh...Jerk Master? That don't sound right either.  :bigsmyl:

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #134 on: February 04, 2006, 06:18:00 AM »
LOL - I always loved jerky too and, if I could get these "store-bought" teeth sharpened (without cutting up my mouth), I'd still be addicted to it too, Kathy. Sounds like Tom has got it down pat all right, nice of him to "fix ya up".

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #135 on: February 04, 2006, 08:38:00 AM »
You're welcome Killy, just didn't want you to feel left out. Glad you like it! I do enjoy sharing the hunt with as many people as I can-as long as I save some for my girls, they would not forgive me if it all went away-especially after smelling it in the dehydrator for two days-makes the mouth water just walking in the house.
  Take care.
To the other Tom- Thank you for setting up the hunt for everyone. Its a pleasure just to have a great time meeting with people. Thanks again.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©