INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 1st Trad Kill  (Read 4032 times)

Offline IBEW 716

• Trad Bowhunter
1st Trad Kill
« on: March 20, 2006, 07:44:00 PM »
This has been three years in the making folks and though the animal is small it is of no consequence to me.  I played the game and finally won.  I'd like to say a few words of thanks and then I will tell the story.

Besides thanking God for the most excitement I've ever had in the woods, I'd like to say a few thanks here to some others.  I'd like to thank my Uncle Hank for unintentionally leading me to the trad way.  It was the simplicity that drew me....little did I know about the homework involved.  I'd like to think Rick Erdmann for building the Sweptwing  recurve that I use (55# @ 28")and also for suggesting I visit this  site as it has become a wealth of information to me.  I'd like to thanks James Young for building the beautiful arrows I use topped with 125 gr. Grizzly Brodheads.  I would also like to thank those of you who make up this web based community for your stories (Mr. Sackett) and insight (Mrs. Legatol,Lamb,and VanTX).

Now for the story:

I went out to my lease in Leakey, Tx this last weekend hoping to take an Axis as my first trad kill. (Not my first trad trip just my first trad kill)  I got out to my blind after a long walk in and had just been there 20 minutes when I spotted six Axis deer.  They spooked as the wind got high and I never saw them again.

Later that morning I decided to travel the route of the axis deer and look for another place to ambush them later.  The wind was high and swirling all day Saturday so I chose to wait for them and built a ground blind just off from the game trail.  I waited a good 4 hours and grew restless.  The wind had slowed almost to a crawl, so I decided the time was right for a walk thru the woods to the place I'd been hunting that morning.

I had no sooner gotten out of my ground blind when I spotted two 100lb hogs 20 yards in front of me.  After a brief stand off they couldn't make me out so they just turned and slowly walked back up the hill we were on.  Since I figured they were on thier way to the creek below I decided to beat them there and lie in wait.

I waited about 30 yds up from the creek and some how allowed them to sneak past me some 10 minutes later.  To my surprise there were 9 hogs of various size.  Over the next 30 minutes I stalked 180 degrees around them hoping to catch them on the way back up.  When they started back up the hill a large hog got within 25 yds of me with some closer but not presenting a shot.  My awareness  of their close proximity to me made me nervous and I succeeded in sailing an arrow right over the back of the hog. They scattered but not far.  I was pissed at myself and determined that I should at least look for the beatiful $10 arrow I had just wasted.

When I returned empty handed to the spot I had fired from I heard the hogs coming back down the hill again and halted my motion to wait.  Within minutes they came into view and one small boar stopped broadside and gave me another opportunity at about 20 yds and I siezed it!  It seems I was  at anchor forever and when I saw that arrow land in the spot I had picked my mind went numb.

As the hogs scattered I could see yet another beautiful arrow hanging right out the left side of my hog.  I pressed him hard and went in immediate pursuit not only because it was getting dark, but because I knew I had pierced both lungs.  As I climbed the hill I could hear the hog's gurgling breathing but couldn't find the first drop of blood I looked for about 20 minutes in the dark and just as I was about to go back to the last sign of blood I found him layed over with my broadhead pointing straight to heaven.

I didn't find the fletched half of my arrow but hope to find it in the next couple weeks.

Here's my pig

and heres my poke(r)

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 1st Trad Kill
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 07:45:00 PM »
:bigsmyl:     :bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:    

Congrats!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 07:48:00 PM »
Very Cool! Congratulations.   :thumbsup:
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 07:51:00 PM »
Congrats Ibew, for this trad kill!

Many more in the years to come!

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 07:55:00 PM »
My first Trad critter was a hog as well...and I will never forget it!!!  Congratulations on a wonderful trophy and on your traditional success!   :bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:  

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline Ben Tiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 07:57:00 PM »
That is the cutest little pig I have ever seen!  I love it when they fit on the grill whole.  GREAT JOB!

ben

P.S.  BTW, that is one hell of shot from twenty yards.  Do I see a full body mount in your future?

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 08:35:00 PM »
sweeeeett
TGMM

Offline CJ5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 12:23:00 AM »
:thumbsup:

Offline Scott Gray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2006, 01:42:00 AM »
Way to go!!!!!!
BlackCreek Banshee 42 lbs@28

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2006, 02:07:00 AM »
Congrats!  :thumbsup:   I hope there are many more in the future.
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Dave of the North

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2006, 02:11:00 AM »
Congrats!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
"There is a passion for hunting something deeply implanted in the human breast."

Charles Dickens

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2006, 06:41:00 AM »
Yeah baby! Nice hog and perfect size for the barbeque. The size of the hunt is more important than the size of the hunted!   :bigsmyl:

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2006, 06:46:00 AM »
Cool man,Congrats!!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2006, 07:23:00 AM »
Way to go Steve!  :thumbsup:  This one will always be special.

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline mike hall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2006, 07:29:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :D  Congrats!!!

Offline TheDude1836

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2006, 07:30:00 AM »
Good for you ! You worked hard ind it paid off ! I cant wait to get mine !.
Come And Take It.

Offline Jim Reamey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2006, 07:49:00 AM »
Congratulations!    :thumbsup:  

God Bless!

Jim

Offline southernarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2006, 07:54:00 AM »
That's cool bro!Sounds like an awsome hunt!I hope it will be me in your shoes one day.
"We do this for fun, but we aren't playing"

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2006, 07:57:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline BaldingEagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2006, 08:21:00 AM »
Congratulations.
"It is the difficulties of archery that make it so interesting to true archers."
Archery-Badminton Library

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©