INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Montana adventure for 12 yr old son (pics)  (Read 5931 times)

Offline Hornseeker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Montana adventure for 12 yr old son (pics)
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2007, 09:07:00 PM »
Wow...awesome Jeff. I cant wait till my daughters are old enough to go on a trip like that!

I also cant wait till I actually get to meet you up on that hill!

Congrats on a fine trip!

Ernie

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2007, 09:13:00 PM »
Good pics and story Jeff. I looking forward to the day my little guy goes to the woods with me.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Gil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2007, 09:33:00 PM »
Wow.Cool pics and story.Hope you both get an animal..My sons are old enough to hunt, I am not.   :knothead:    :knothead:    :knothead:     Just a little more time and we're gonna be stateside and be able to enjoy the great outdoors you guys have over there.   :thumbsup:  

Gil
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.Right next to the mashed potatoes.

One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind."

COMPTON TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTERS

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2007, 10:24:00 PM »
Great story and pics! Awesome to be able to hunt with your son.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2007, 11:00:00 PM »
Sounds so far like a great adventure, and one that may go on and on for the both of you.   Here's hoping you will have as much fun as I've been lucky enough to have with my two boys.   Great pics too!
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2007, 11:23:00 PM »
That looks a LOT more fun than sheep hunting   ;)  .

I have a feeling your son knows how lucky he is...

I hope to do something very similar in a few years.

Looking forward to watching the rest of the story unfold.

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2007, 11:34:00 PM »
Your boy might as well pack everything up for the rest of his life.  He will never top that adventure.  He's done it all.  He's ruined in a very healthy way.

Good for him.
Richie Nell

Black Widow
PSA X Osage/Kingwood 71#@31

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2007, 12:00:00 AM »
WOW Jeff....That photo with Daniel at "The Midway Mall" is bout 30 min. from the house  :wavey:  

Next time yer that close give a BELLAR  :thumbsup:

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2007, 12:21:00 AM »
Man to cool, makes me wish i was 12 again and you were my dad
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2007, 06:33:00 AM »
Epic adventure no doubt! Through the eyes of a 12 year old young man there will never be a bigger adventure. It will never be forgotten. Good stuff! CK

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2007, 07:53:00 AM »
Thanks everybody and sorry for the typos.  

Vance, I wish I had known that I passed by so close.  I had breakfast in Pinedale with my friend Dave Klein, who introducted me to highcountry backpack hunting up in the Bridger Wilderness.  I'll always owe him for that.

As a kid I couldn't wait until age 12 so I could hunt rabbits in PA.  My dad wasn't much of a hunter, more of a workaholic.  Daniel is luckier than many kids his age, I guess, to be able to go on such hunts with me.  Life is too short - I believe in experiencing "once in a lifetime bowhunting adventures" every year!  I hope to provide as many such opportunities to him (and his sisters if they wish) before they grow up and leave the nest, which isn't that far away......

Part 3 - hunting the foothills:

Eventually we were on the north side of the mountain range that contained the east drainage and the elk, but actually getting back in was more of a challenge that expected....

The topo map showed an old road following the creek upstream to our destination, but a posted ranch block the easy access, and going around would be pretty difficult.  This lower part is wilderness so we couldn't use our game cart.  I like hunting difficult access areas because there are usually more animals and less hunters, but this would be a little too much for us this time.  We drove around some and talked with another trad bowhunter, who gave some tips on where he had seen some elk and deer nearby.

We hunted the aspens in the foothills, and saw some mulie does that afternoon, but couldn't get closer than 30 yards....

My son got to witness one of my classic misses before dark.  We came upon a sleeping red fox and I acted too quickly, drawing and shooting my arrow before I had time to think about letting Daniel have the shot.  The arrow flashed over the 7 yards and lodged into the ground, under the fox's chest.  His reaction?  He woke, yawned, sniffed the fletching of my arrow, and stood up to stretch.  I completed my meltdown by sending a second arrow into a nearby tree.  I turned around and Daniel said "How in the world did you miss that 5 yard shot?"  I explained that I was using my 5 yard pin and the additional distance, plus the brisk wind, had caused the miss!  He proceded to kick me in the pants, a tradition started by PA-Bones who has witnessed even more spectacular misses....

The next day were were back in the same area.  

I noticed that the pine beetles were taking their toll on these old pines...

We spotted 2 small mulie bucks and closed the distance to about 50 yards and it was Daniel's turn for a shot, but we lost them.  Later we did see these antelope and Daniel enjoyed watching the small buck keep his does in check....

The only elk we saw was this one, which had died of unknown causes....

We reported the exact location to the area biologist, hoping she would examine the carcass and possible sample for CWD. She said that there were no CWD cases in the area so hopefully it died of other causes.  We heard some strange noises nearby, which seemed like a bull and cow moose in love, but we didn't want any encounters with bears so we scooted out of those woods rather quickly.....

By now we had only several days left and decided to head for SE Montana, with a little flyfishing on the way.  We did see this owl out in the day, an unusual sight for us....

We also watched a small bull moose chase a cow moose around a willow bottom, but couldn't get any photos.  Unfortunately our elk hunting was now over, with only 1 good day of action, but we hoped the deer would cooperate a little more before we had to make that LONG drive home.

Part 4 to come later........
"He has also made me as a select arrow, He has hidden me in His quiver." - Isaiah 49:2

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2007, 07:58:00 AM »
To be a world class Dad and hunting mentor and then a world class hunter in that order....reminds me of a line from an old Haggard song
"I live the kind of life that most men only dream of"
Good on you, keep it coming!

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2007, 08:27:00 AM »
Jeff, that was a great gray owl, the largest owl in north america.  Birders will travel hundreds, even thousands of miles for the chance to see a great gray.  It's the "bighorn sheep tag" of birding.  

This is a wonderful thread.  It's like an illustrated instruction manual for how to raise a great kid.  Keep going, please!    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2007, 08:41:00 AM »
Those 3 pictures of your son glassing and you bugling says more then any words could as to what type of Father you are and the "Family" you have.
Congrats.
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline jon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2007, 09:17:00 AM »
Wonderful adventure. Your son will remember it for the rest of his life. I'm 53 now and still vividly remember my first rabbit hunt with my hunting uncle at age 11! I'm in NW Montana. Next time you draw, stop by. I might be able to show you a location or 2 with some elk.

Jon

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2007, 09:40:00 AM »
Very cool story Jeff!!! Keep the story and pics coming!!!
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline Huntrdfk@Work

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2007, 09:40:00 AM »
Just got caught up on this thread Jeff, what a wonderful experience this must have been for both of you.......for those that don't know Jeff, I can tell you from experience that Daniel had to have been a happy but tired young man at the end of each day, Jeff doesn't know many boundaries when it comes to finding animals, he's not kidding when he says he likes to get back into wilderness areas where not many other hunters go.

I'm looking forward to the rest of your adventure Jeff......

David

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2007, 10:31:00 AM »
:thumbsup:

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2007, 11:06:00 AM »
Knife river, we decided to begin carrying a field guide to birds from now on, so we can identify these creatures.

Dave is right, I am always wondering what is over that next hill and willing to find out.  I had to constantly check myself and hold back a little.  After 2 consecutive 10-mile days up in the mountains, Daniel had a blister and was tired, so moving to easier country made sense.  Someday soon, it will be me lagging behind and him waiting for me to catch up.  After a while, my answer to the question "Dad, how much further?" became our little joke, when I'd say "just over that hill".....

Part 4 - Yellowstone river country:

On the way to our first motel room of the trip in Bozeman, we stopped briefly and fished the Gallatin river....

We are both new to flyfishing and didn't practice much before this trip, so it wasn't surprising that we caught nothing.  It was raining and snowing, so we were thinking more about a hot shower and soft bed, than trout.

Waking up refreshed and having a nice big breakfast, we knew that we were down to our last 2 days of adventure.  A new friend Larry, who lives in Alaska but owns some land near Great Falls, gave us permission to hunt there.  In hindsight I wish we would have gone there (200 acres of private land with some cottonwoods and a house to sleep in - what was I thinking???), but I wanted to check the quality of the block management land in region 7 for both deer and antelope, mostly for a future hunt.  We hit the interstate until the Yellowstone river came into view and decided to try flyfishing the section from Livingston to Billings.  Not long ago there was a "traditional destinations" article in TBM (by Mark Baker, I think) that highlighted the excellent fishing and hunting in this area.  We weren't successful in hooking any of the rising trout we saw.....

but seeing deer and antelope was quite easy....

There were countless deer and antelope in the alfalfa fields in the river bottom.  Most bucks were small....

The bigger bucks were probably up in hills like these...

These deer were "eye candy" because we couldn't hunt them, but they made the drive very interesting.  We couldn't wait to get to the Powder River area!
"He has also made me as a select arrow, He has hidden me in His quiver." - Isaiah 49:2

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2007, 11:22:00 AM »
A definite thread for the highlights!
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©