INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: TXSweat group 2- tales of adventure  (Read 5935 times)

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: TXSweat group 2- tales of adventure
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2006, 10:09:00 AM »
Let me tell you that it has been a long time since I've met two fine young men like the Kinslows. Seeing solid mid-western values and upbringing first hand was a pleasure. It just about killed them to not call Gary  "Mr. Kellar"  Charlie, they're not the worse for wear for hanging out with you either!    :D
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2006, 11:23:00 AM »
I had a really nice suprise while I was sitting in the airport waiting to board my plane.  I was reading a magazine and someone walked up behind me and asked if they could read over my shoulder -It was the Kinslow's!  
Turns out they were booked on the same flight, so I got to spend just a little more time with some first rate individuals and guys I now call good friends.  I was having a hard time letting go of the best three days of hunting ever, so it was cool to see them there!  :thumbsup:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2006, 11:35:00 AM »
Speaking of fine individuals, I think that is what made Texas Sweat what it is.  The camaraderie and fellowship of sharing camp with the group we had was really special to me.  Texas is a big State, and there are lots of places to hunt down there, but there is only one place to get together with the group we had.  The hunting was great, but that is not what made the hunt what it was.........

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2006, 11:55:00 AM »
Thanks Joe! It's the same feelings that generate the energy to keep putting this thing together each year. Charlie set out with a game plan several years ago. That plan was to invite equal numbers of seasoned hunters and non-seasoned hunters from as wide of a variety of lifestyles as possible. See, sometime it's the not so seasoned hunters that actually do the teaching while the seasoned pro's take in the knowledge being taught. I know that there have been things I've lost or forgotten along the years of bowhunting. Each year at Texas Sweat I come away renewed and refreshed at the way each of the hunters have percieved things that have happened on the hunt and at bowhunting in general. I suppose it is an equal trade among all the Bowmen in attendance. I certainly enjoy seeing things through each hunters eyes!!!!! Kinda brings things full circle each year for me. I raise my glass! CK

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2006, 12:09:00 PM »
I want everyone to know I have thouroughly enjoyed all the posts, pics, n' stories about the "Texas Swets" just as much this year as I did last year. I have held back on any posting this time but only to enjoy it the more. The only draw back for me is I was kindly offered the opportunity to make it this year but unfortunately could not. Bless the offer though, and bless all of you for "bringing" it to me (and everyone else). Simply *"Outstanding"!

* Highest Mark the Marine Corps gives - Semper Fi
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Jim Jackson

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2006, 01:05:00 PM »
Joe, Norb, thanks for the kind words.  It was really nice to share time with everyone as well.  Chris and I both learned a lot, and hopefully as the years go by we will be able to pass the craft on to others new to trad archery.  We both wouldn't be where we are at now, nor where we are going, if not for people like those on trad gang that have shown us the ropes.  Thanks Lamb, Curtis, and everyone else from trad gang and the sweat!  

As for brothers, well Chris and I have truly become brothers as the word is meant not just by blood, but bretheren through hunting.  He said it best in that we work so well as a team, and it is such an excitement to witness the other have a shot at game.    Like Joe said, its the camaraderie and fellowship that makes it so special.  I am lucky in that Chris and I get to share that in the field as well as back at camp with the rest of the gang.  

Truly an incredible hunt with a great bunch of guys.  What a great time!  Thanks to everyone.
Blaze out your own trail.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2006, 06:15:00 PM »
How about some more hunting memories?  I'm no Lamb in telling a story, but I have another one if you like.  

On the last full day of our hunt Norbert and I decided to strike out on our own and see if we could find anything new.  The ranch is huge, and there was no way for it to be explored completely by the Sweat participants.

In looking over an ariel photo we found what appeared to be a pond in a section that nobody had been in that we were aware of.  We took a couple guesses as to compass readings for the roads, and set off.

On our way we swung past Pond One and trickled a little corn out along the road.  This would be the backup plan if things didn't pan out elsewhere.

The compass readings actually worked pretty well.  We were only one sendero away from where we wanted to be, and the intersecting road took us right to it.  Just based on changes in the vegetation it was easy to find the pond once we got close.  

A rabbit caught our attention first, and Norbert promptly donated an arrow to the cactus in its memory, but left the bunny little worse for wear.  A walk around the pond bank showed remarkably little sign - not at all what we were hoping for.  

Javie trails in and out of the brush along the road seemed thick however, so we trickled corn along a long section of it.  I took Norbert back to Pond One, and I would return here for the rest of the morning.....
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2006, 06:44:00 PM »
You might recall that Pond One is where Joe "Eagle Eye" Lasch found the skull and sheds his first day. I stayed around the area, circling the pond and glassing up and down the two roads we corned, for the morning. Nothing was stirring. I did spot three good sized hogs about 500 yards up one road, past where we had begun corning. I gave chase but with nothing to hold their interest, they quickly disappeared. Joe picked me up and we headed back for lunch to regroup.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2006, 07:31:00 PM »
Not so fast Norbert - I had action that morning!  :smileystooges:  

After dropping him off at Pond One I returned to the new site.  I set up at a "T" intersection that afforded good veiws in three directions.  Nothing seemed to be moving so I passes the time writing notes in my field notebook.  So many things were happening on this hunt I wanted to make sure I remembered as much as I could.

About 9:30 or so I caught movement 20 yards into the brush.  Javies!  They were kind of moving in and out and it was hard to tell how many, but seemed to be at least 5 or 6.  They seemed to be moving parallel with the road and weren't headed my way.  

Eventually three of them worked their way out and started following the corn trail away from me.  The group quicky grew to maybe a dozen animals.  This was going to be tough!

They must have hit a spot we missed in the road, because they all turned around and started working their way back toward me. As the first ones drew into shooting range I tried to draw as slowly as I possibly could hoping to avoid detection.  I think in my fear of being seen I never got to full draw and released an arrow before hitting anchor - premature release is bad in more than just the bedroom!

The arrow hit the stink pig very high above the shoulder.  He rolled over and took off for parts unknown.  I really don't think the arrow did much more than slip throught the hide at the top of his back, and after inspection did not find anything more than a little fat on the arrow.

Now it's time to go pick up Norbert........
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2006, 07:48:00 PM »
See, I told you we had to regroup! At least I know I did. Joe was itching to get back to the "T" he had worked in the morning and I was getting more interested in chasing hogs. For the afternoon (the last of the hunt) I headed to the west side with Bob W. and StevenR with the intention of working the big double pond where Bob and Joe had scored hogs earilier. My plans would change however.

No sooner had we pulled the big red Hummer into a spot off the sendero, did we see lots of javie action. Without a word, all three of us dispersed in full sneak mode. I spied a family group up one of the short arms of the hub and stalked in about 30 yards to wait and see how they would move. I was kneeling with my backside precariously close to some prickly pear for about 10 minutes when a group of 4 got to within 15 yards. I got balanced and looked for brush that might mess up my shot and things looked good. The first in line pulled up about 10 yards in front of me and looked backwards creating a nice full shoulder broadside shot.

At the break, I had switched to my dayglow orange fletched and capped shafts because I had learned that things seem to happen close to last light and I wanted to see where I hit something if I got lucky. Well, I sure saw the arrow that I loosed at this javie. It made for a nice tracer bullet, sailing a good 6 inches above the shoulder and off into the scrub.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2006, 07:58:00 PM »
Joe and Norb... that's what I'm talkin about!   :thumbsup:  

Heck! I'd like to hear everybodies stories. You know, all the little one's you forgot about for a while while you were busy hunting or didn't get a chance to tell in camp.

I'm lovin it... not to mention I'm makin notes for my trip down there in May.  ;)
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2006, 08:02:00 PM »
This hunt just keeps on giving......
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2006, 11:11:00 PM »
While the Hummer crew went to "Javi Central", I headed on back to my spot at the "T" intersection.  I parked the Jeep back down the road a ways, and on my way back up to the intersection spied two javies already out in the road.  They were feeding very slowly in my direction, so I circled out into the cactus to cut the distance somewhat.

I got to a point where I couldn't go further without making noise or being too brushed in, so I knelt down and arranged a little ambush point 10 yards off the road.

Seems like it takes forever when you're waiting and can't see up the road to know if they're still coming or not, but it really wasn't long before I could hear the crunch crunch crunch of something close chewing on corn.  The time is here!

As they came into view they both looked to be nice size animals, so I decided to try for whichever presented himself properly to me first.  A low growing prickly pear gave me the cover I needed to draw, and as one stepped into an opening I tried to force myself to concentrate on a spot low and directly above the leg.  

The string slipped from my fingers, and I wish I could say I hit my mark exactly, but the arrow struck just a bit high.  The spinal column rides lower than a guy would think on these animals, and that is what I hit.  The good news is that he dropped on the spot.

At the hit the javie let out a series of squeals - let's just say he was not very happy with me at all!  His buddy came charging in to defend his partner, grunting and popping his teeth at me not 5 yards away.  A third animal that I had not seen before charged in from behind.  These boys meant business!  Only the brush in between us kept me from trying a shot to complete a double.

The reinforcements for my wounded javie quickly, and thankfully, dispersed back to the thorns, and I turned my attention back to the animal on the ground.  A follow up shot to the spot I should have hit the first time ended things quickly.

In less time than it takes to tell I had my first javelina in the bag.  As Norbert told me later, I had just completed the North American portion of a "ham slam", all in my first Texas hunt.

I finished with a couple of photos and field dressing chores, and there were more javelina further up the road.  The limit is two, and I thought it would be great to be able to roll back into camp with a matched set in the back of the Jeep.

It was still plenty early, and I had multiple opportunities, but swirling wind foiled a perfect set up on one group.  A javi that couldn't stand still while I held at full draw eight yards away foiled another.

Generally, it seems that the acton picks up toward dusk, however this evening proved to be the opposite.  As soon as the sun dropped low in the sky the temperature dropped just as quickly, and the javi action was over for the evening.  As I watched the sky turn spectacular shades of pastels though, I had no regrets.  It had been a wonderful day in South Texas.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2006, 06:28:00 AM »
:readit:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2006, 09:15:00 AM »
FANTASTIC!

Offline kyle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2006, 10:02:00 AM »
Great stories guys!!  :thumbsup:
WWJD

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2006, 10:42:00 AM »
Hey Norbert, is the sum up in California yet?    :readit:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline Brian Halbleib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2006, 11:43:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing everyone. Making me itchin' to get back to south Texas. Weather is finally starting to break here thank goodness.

-Brian
 www.bowyersjournal.com

Offline Jumper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2006, 12:10:00 PM »
Great stories and pictures guys! Thanks for sharing with the rest of us.

Curtis, think you could dub that hunting show for me? We don't get much on our antenna up here   :knothead:   I sure would like to see that footage of you and the javi going at it   :D
"With God, all things are possible"

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2006, 12:25:00 PM »
Yea Scott, I wish I had that footage to see again. They are suppose to notify me before it airs on TV. Tell you the truth, the adrenalin was coursing so strong that it seems like a dream now. Norbert has some bootleg footage on his digital camera. I think he could get Terry or someone to post it here if you edited out all my cussing. Of course if you edit the cussin, there may just be one long Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeppppppppp!!!!!! LOL! CK

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©