INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: My Turkey Season, So Far............Pix,Video  (Read 4655 times)

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
My Turkey Season, So Far............Pix,Video
« on: May 16, 2006, 03:13:00 PM »
Up till the season started,I scouted every morning and had some big birds located.Opening day held a lot of promise.But it was not to be,the turk's were and still are henned up real bad.It was a beautiful day though,check out the apple blossoms.....

The first Sunday of the season....it all came together...well sort of.Hens fly down,gobblers follow,land about 70yds away.They start to follow the hens to my right,so I call to let them know there's another hen around.When I call,the biggest bird I've seen all year(he looks just like The Boss),the bird I really wanted,turns and see's my hen and jake deke and his reaction was without question....he was coming!!!!!  He covered the first 50yds or so walking fast in half strut...the last ten yards he came at full strut as fast as his legs could bring him and never slowed down! Hitting the jake at full speed knocking it 5ft off it's stake!!!!!  Now he's at 10yds,and all I have to do is kill him! Don't ask me how this happened,I'm still sick about it.My arrow must have been too high,it deflected up off his back(heard it hit something hard),cutting a bunch of back feathers off and continuing up into the apple trees.I was shocked!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is what I was left to look at......

Some deer from another day.....

Another day in the same spot as my miss.....Listen to these birds go at it.....I'm not making a sound......(turn up your volume)

I have more....including todays hunt.....it includes a bloody arrow!!!!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline rabbitman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My Turkey Season, So Far............Pix,Video
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 03:21:00 PM »
Alright Curt...get on with it.  Let's see that blood!

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 03:24:00 PM »
Nice pics Curt....now what about a bloody arrow?   :saywhat:
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 03:26:00 PM »
Since that day,it's been very frustrating.Lack of hunting time,and when I do get out the birds are really kickin' my butt.I've had a heck of a time figuring them out,they have a lot of hens,and don't want to come to calls much.Here's a hen from last weekend(gobblers got around me somehow).....

Todays hunt coming soon...........
Curt } >>--->   

Offline bluegrassbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 03:30:00 PM »
I been waiting for you to post something,& now I have to wait to hear it.....YOUR KILLIN ME...LET'S HEAR IT...  :bigsmyl:
"Life,Liberty & the pursue of deer & turkeys."

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 04:25:00 PM »
I,ve been out 4 times twice have seen birds and once had a gobbler within 15 yrds so far no shots.....hope your about to tell us about the one that didn,t get away
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 04:37:00 PM »
Here we go again LOL

PLAY NICE CURT!!!!!  :banghead:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006, 05:15:00 PM »
I've been waiting for your Turkey posting Curt.  I'm on my way bear hunting this evening so I wont be checkin back in till tomorrow so, I hope your next post contains a trophy shot.  If it does my congrats to you bro.    :thumbsup:  
Later, Randy.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2006, 06:29:00 PM »
Come On !! I was gonna invite ya next weekend for some Turkey huntin' and striper fishin', but if ya keep me waiting much longer!! Well you know! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2006, 06:29:00 PM »
Well you guys will have to wait some more.....photobucket is doing something .......

Good Luck Randy   :thumbsup:
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2006, 07:41:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    ;)
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2006, 10:08:00 PM »
Somehow I think Lamb is giving Guru the "thumbs up" not so much for the good story, but because Curt is finding ways to draw out a story over several days.     ;)  

I always enjoy reading your work Guru! Looking forward to the rest.

Chris
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2006, 11:06:00 PM »
glad to see I'm not the only one getting frustrated with henned up birds in NY. Managed to get one Sat., but had to resort to the boom stick. You obviously have more patience than I do. Can't wait to see the rest.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2006, 11:35:00 PM »
:knothead:    :bigsmyl:

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2006, 12:21:00 AM »
Come on bro, i can't wait to hear the rest!
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2006, 06:39:00 AM »
I was thinking about your turkey season the other day and wondering where you were.  Can't wait to see the rest!

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2006, 06:42:00 AM »
tap,tap,tap,tap,tap,tap,tap,  :banghead:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2006, 09:18:00 AM »
Curt....if your clips aren't over 10 megs.....you can use your file uploader.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2006, 10:11:00 AM »
My honest intention was not to draw this out....sorry.

That's good to know Terry...I'll try it.As far as pix,I don't know how to edit(smaller) them before uploading them in my file????

Yesterdays hunt.......

Found me in a familiar spot,the vineyard.It had pretty much been untouched by me this year.I'd made a short hunt morning before,had a hen close by, and heard a bird or 2 gobbling some distance away in the orchard.They never came close enough to hear my calling and by the time I decided to go after them and went into the orchard,they'd shut up.

So this morning my original intention was to wait in the orchard for the birds to make the first move,then set up accordingly.But as i waited in the dark,I kept getting this strong gut feeling,it was telling me to get back to the vineyard and set up there.....I've learned to listen to these inner stirrings...I was set up with just enough light to keep me hidden.I wouldn't make a call until I knew a bird could hear me.

I soon heard a gobble up on the mountain above the orchard,but closer to the vineyard than yesterday.At least I now felt as though I was "in the game".After a few more gobbles I could tell that there was another bird gobbling up there occasionally too.

Soon I could tell they were coming down off the mountain,getting closer.Then the same hen as yesterday sailed out into the vineyard and lit about 50yds away,out in the middle of the vinyard............

My daughter beckons.............
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2006, 10:58:00 AM »
It was silent for a while,then I saw a bird walking down the edge of the orchard,just over the stonewall seperating it from the vineyard.My bino's revealed that it was a jake,and right behind him was another.It has been a long time since I've killed a jake,but with the season winding down,and the way my heart was pounding....I knew then,the hunt was on!!

I called to them with just enough volume to let them hear it.They kept walking down the hill on the other side of the wall,and I lost sight of them.About a minute later a crow flew over a called and they both let loose.....they were on my side of the stonewall!!  A bit later I could finally see them,but they had seen the real hen,and were heading for her.I could see one laging behind,so I called to him a couple times....he looked like he thought about if for a while.....then he started toward me!  At about forty yds he when behind a line of vines and I couldn't see him,but then he showed up at 20yds.I could tell he'd had seen my jake deke,he was showing some attitude!!!  I readied myself for the shot...another 10yd'er..........

....he came in from the backside of the decoy,walking with a very challenging posture.He "juked" at it a couple times,then turned  to go behind him again....he was braodside....it was time......

The shot was almost perfect,with the Snuffer 160 taking him high,just in front of the drumsticks.At the shot he dropped,but could still use his wings.He was moving off,but couldn't fly.He only made it about 30yds.......now here comes his buddy!!!  I grabbed my camera........

I'll be back........
Curt } >>--->   

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©