INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Yellow Girl and the Buck  (Read 4379 times)

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Yellow Girl and the Buck
« on: July 07, 2006, 09:04:00 AM »
I'd promised to tell the story of the deer in my picture at the top of the page, so here is the account of that hunt.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Yellow Girl and the Buck
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 09:07:00 AM »
Old pictures are like time capsules in a way. As I look at this one I can date it pretty easily.

The bow is one of my early glass backed longbows. I used 4 Osage lams, with an Osage riser. The back glass was brown, belly glass clear and the handle wrap dark brown leather.

I called her “Yellow Girl” and she was a good bow until the epoxy I’d put her together with started to fail and she was retired to the bow rack early. Such a shame for a bow that I liked a lot. She had a substantial “thump” in the hand at release, but not overly bad for a bow that scaled 70# at full draw.

Looking further into the picture I can see a patch on my shirt from the Bowhunters of Wyoming and the shirt itself is a faded “tiger stripe“ camo pattern that my mother made.
She’d grumbled a little when I asked for the shirt pocket to be on the right side instead of the left so I could put things in it without interfering with the bowstring.
Mom made my best shirts in those days... the sleeves were specially cut for my long arms.

The bibs I'm wearing are made from what was typically called "WWII" pattern camo. Good stuff and I miss it. Much better than most commercial patterns out there today.

I’d place the picture at 20-25 years ago, right after I had returned to Missouri from living in Wyoming.

My good friend Sam Collier had come up with permission to hunt a very nice farm in north central Missouri and I jumped at the chance to bowhunt deer there. It was the middle of October when we pulled into the farm for the first time.

Most of the leaves had dropped already, though some still held their leaves with just a hint of the bright leaves that had graced their limbs a scant week before. We hit the ground at a fast walk, soaking up deer sign as we went. There was plenty of it and signs of rutting bucks was plentiful.

After a few hours, I’d made a decision as to where I wanted my stand to be and we returned to his home for dinner, refreshments and a bull session that lasted far to late into the night.

An hour before first light I was back on the farm and searching for the exact tree I’d chosen the day before. Miffed at not being able to locate it and with dawn approaching much too quickly I finally made the decision to get in the first tree I felt was close. It would have to do for the time being.

I had all my stuff in hand and laid it at the base of the chosen oak, stripped off my shirt and started the tiring, sweaty process of getting the screw in steps in place. I finished the task and climbed into my little Loc On stand as the first rays of the morning sun penetrated to the forest floor.

Even though I’d worked in a minimum of clothing, I’d worked up a little sweat and I paid for that as I sat shivering in the frosty minutes of pre dawn. It was pretty uneventful for the first hour or so. Just the usual squirrels busy with their fall routine of gathering, burying and eating the freshly fallen acorns.

I don’t know for sure where the buck came from. He’d probably followed the faint trail across the hillside behind me to the point where I first saw him. It was a total surprise. I’d neither heard nor seen any glimpse of him until looking over my shoulder I spotted him just disappearing into a plum thicket some 20 yards distant. He’d somehow gotten past me without a hint of his presence.

Yanking on it’s lanyard around my neck I brought my grunt tube to my lips and gave one brief, subdued, “brrrrrp”. The buck stopped and looked back in my direction. Acting as if he’d only thought he’d heard something he finally turned to go off in his original line of travel. I called once more. “Brrrrp”. This time a little louder. That did the trick. The buck turned and came to me as if on a string.

His course of travel would bring him around behind the trunk of the tree I was in so I turned facing the tree trunk with bow positioned to take the shot as he walked clear.

I’d made some special arrows for the season. Port Orford cedar shafts with an orange cap dip,  crowned with two gray barred turkey feathers and an orange cock feather. The fletch was burned to an old English style as described by Saxton Pope in his fine book, “Hunting With the Bow and Arrow”. I squeezed the orange speed nock nervously as I awaited the appearance of the buck below me.

It seemed an eternity waiting for the buck and in fact it had been too long. He should have already come into sight.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline ironrhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 09:20:00 AM »
its good to have you back charlie!!!

Offline Pete Patterson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 09:20:00 AM »
I can't find chapter 2!
....and lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the age. Matt 28:20

Offline Raven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 09:25:00 AM »
:)    :thumbsup:    :campfire:

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 09:34:00 AM »
Glad you made it home safe and in one piece Bud! Camera stuff goes out over-night Fed-x in a bit. Carry-on....CK

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 09:36:00 AM »
Now THAT'S what I'm talkin bout!

And then.....  :bigsmyl:
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2006, 09:37:00 AM »
Great CK!! You other guys know I'm ain't giving it up all at once.   :D   I have the next installment waiting in the wings and will put it up in a couple of minutes.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2006, 09:40:00 AM »
That's a great story, Charlie - and one of my most favorite pics ... arras bristling from a backquiver, a pretty longbow, and a magnificent harvested buck - all in a scenic woods setting.  Fabulous.    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2006, 09:47:00 AM »
Getting a bit antsy, I leaned out for a peek. NOTHING!! I turned slightly to look where I’d seen the buck last. NOTHING!! Then I caught movement out of the corner of my eye.
The buck was underneath me moving past the base of the tree on my right side. NOT GOOD!

I lifted the bow to clear the trunk of the tree and began pivoting around in time with the bucks movements... it’s harder for a deer to pick up your movement if you move at the same speed and direction it is moving.

Had I turned to my left I could have been in position much more quickly, but would have been much more likely to have been spotted. As it was I was playing catch up and the buck ended up in a spot I could have shot to from my original position. DUH!

He stopped just ten yards out from the base of my tree and totally broadside. Now I had to make the last little moves even more slowly or he’d spot me. Somehow I got it done and started a slow draw as I focused my will on a spot low and tight to his foreleg.
Suddenly the buck bolted. I was sure he hadn’t seen me and the wind, which blew in his direction, surely passed over his head high enough that he hadn’t smelled me.
Then I remembered that I’d laid all my gear right there below me. He’d no doubt picked up scent from that spot and had gotten nervous. He took a couple of jumps and slowed to a walk.

Repositioning myself slowly I swung the bow to this new angle, but the buck was passing through some low brush that blocked a shot. I could see a small opening ahead of him that he’d likely pass through on his current line of travel so I focused there.

It only took a few seconds and the buck was in the opening, still walking steadily. Even as his head entered the open I started my draw and his body was fully visible as my middle finger found it’s familiar anchor at the corner of my mouth.

The arrow leapt away from the bow spinning toward the buck’s chest at a hard quartering angle. The angular cut of the feathers buzzed loudly through the air and I expected the buck to spook from the noise.... he didn’t.

The big Asbel wildcat broadhead with Bear Razorhead bleeder drove deep behind the last rib and protruded out of the skin between offside leg and brisket. Kicking into overdrive the buck was soon disappearing over the crest of a nearby hill. Leaving me alone and quite elated. I knew I had him!
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2006, 09:51:00 AM »
Glad Your Back  :bigsmyl:
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline Joe D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2006, 09:53:00 AM »
That's great stuff Charlie, and an excellent pic as well!     :bigsmyl:
Joe D
"Silva Vocat"

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2006, 10:06:00 AM »
Giving the buck a half hour, I finally climbed down, bringing my stand and steps down with me to help kill more time. I made it all ready to carry out and went over to where the buck was when the arrow hit.

To say I was amazed at what I found would be an understatement of the grandest order. I paced 30 long steps to the spot where the buck’s first lunge had left divots in the leaf covered soil. A small patch of brown hair lay right there also, but no blood.

He hadn’t “seemed” all that far when I’d squared away for the shot. It’s like that for me. I couldn’t judge feet and yards if my life depended on it, but I know beyond doubt when I can make a shot and there was never any doubt about this one.  

As I searched for blood sign, I was puzzled by it’s absence. Many times an animal takes a while to start leaving blood on the ground... even with the big ole 1 3/8” head I was using. But after I’d gone 30 yards from the point of impact and found no blood I started to have misgivings.
That’s not unusual for me... or a lot of other guys for that matter. I can turn a perfect double lung broadside shot into a gut shot in my own wicked mind given lack of blood.

Finally, at around 60 yards I found first blood. Not a lot, but bright red and frothy. Good sign for sure, but not enough to totally fend off an evil imagination. I eased ahead.

That the sparse blood trail led me nearly 150 yards before I spotted a patch of white belly hair through the brush shouldn’t have surprised me, but I’m always amazed at the stamina and will to live possessed by wild animals.

The buck had sustained massive wounds to almost every vital organ he had. Liver, lungs an heart had all been cut by the huge, razor sharp 4 blade.

I sat there for a while with the buck, savoring the moment and the whole experience before getting on with the picture taking.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2006, 10:30:00 AM »
Out------standing !!!!  :bigsmyl:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline Firstarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2006, 10:35:00 AM »
Thanks, for sharing!

That is the stuff dreams are made of.
Being first, making a mark and being part of
something great!
Rich

May you keep the wind to your nose, have the patience of Job, and have your Firstarrow fly true.

Offline thp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2006, 11:07:00 AM »
great story!

more!  you're making me hungry for October!
Be kind and merciful. Let no one ever come to you without coming away better and happier. -Mother Teresa

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2006, 11:52:00 AM »
You sure know how to give a tale that sitting around the campfire feeling. Like I was right there with you. Thanks a bunch Charlie.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2006, 12:07:00 PM »
A side note to the story... I gutted and drug the buck to a place I could get to with my truck and then returned for my stand and tree steps.

As I passed the tree my stand had been in I came upon the largest scrape I've ever found. No less than three trees provided overhanging branches for the pawed up area which was fully 12 feet long and close to 5 feet wide.

It became a favorite spot of mine which gave up many bucks during the years I had access to that farm. Sometimes you just get lucky!     :)
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2006, 12:24:00 PM »
Nice story! Tell me about that arm guard. Looks like lots of lacing. I've never seen that one. CK

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2006, 12:29:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©