INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Firewood is gathered(C Lamb story)  (Read 5545 times)

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Firewood is gathered(C Lamb story)
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2006, 08:08:00 AM »
guess if I was a shopping mall kinda guy, I'd have hung out for a lot longer than I did. But being a cow poop in the cleats of my boots kinda guy I gathered as much clothing and incidentals as I thought I'd need and got the hell out of Dodge.... ok! It was really Victoria and not Dodge, but you know what I mean.

Back at CK's I got the first of many surprised to come when Debbie handed me a shopping bag full of stuff almost exactly like what I'd just gotten. It wasn't really like I'd got, but I'm a guy and clothes is clothes. It was a very thoughtful thing for her to do.

Then Curtis sprung the video from Terry Green about what everyone at Trad Gang had done for me and I was toast for the evening.

With Saturday came a threat of rain, but Curtis and I continued to make preparations for Jason Wesbrock's arrival and the night bowfishing trip we'd planned so long before. A little rain wasn't gonna stop us.

One of the first orders of business was to get some vittles on the grill and slow cooking away. Since that's Curtis' specialty, I mostly just stood back with my new camera (thanks JC) and snapped a few pics of the cooking.    There was a solid bed of mesquite coals in the barby so it was just a matter of slapping the ribs to the heat and getting other stuff done while it cooked.

Boats take a lot of work and routine maintenance. I guess that's why I don't own one... not counting my canoe of course.  
That took most of the afternoon and before we were done with it it was fully loaded with our gear and pronounced sea worthy by CK.... Did you all know Curtis is a licensed sea captain? Can ye say avast matey? Arggggh!  Sure enough, a for real, sea captain. The boy never ceases to amaze me.

As the day wound toward evening, Jason finally rolled into the drive. I greeted him with a personal gesture and a grin.  It was good to see him again. Jason is a good sport and I never miss a chance to deliver a jab which I know will get a knee jerk reaction from him... and usually a dry, but wickedly sharp response.

We'd not hunted together for several years. The last time had been high in the Rockies for elk and now here we were about to head for sea level. That about covers it all doesn't it.

Just to get this rolling a little faster, I'll just say we sat the boy down with a plate of ribs while we filled his hunting plate with information both useful and useless about hunting and all things related. By the time he was through eating, we were ready to head for the coast and it's scaley monsters.  
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2006, 08:34:00 AM »
I don't remember now what the name of the river was we were headed for. It might have been the Lavaca or any one of several that are just a couple hours from Curtis. We knew we were apt to have some issues with water clarity because of the rain the area had gotten a couple weeks prior.

It figures! I plan a bowfishing trip to an area that's literally stiff with 6 foot gar as big around as I am and the weather messes with me. Hell! The area had been in pretty severe drought for a year or two before the toad strangler came that muddied and oxygenated the coastal rivers.

Since gar can glean oxygen from the air as well as the water. Low oxygen content of the water was important to our plan. The fish are forced to live near the surface or at least spend more time there. We expected to see some big ones anyway.

Shortly after we pulled into the boat ramp we were joined by Gary Kellar. As he rolled toward us I sent him a salute and he "flipped" one right back at me... with that world record grin of his. I like Gary.... a lot. Even if he is younger than me.

Gary and Curtis are as comfortable on the water as most of us are on dry land and we were soon  putting away from the ramp and past the line of local fishermen who gathered there to fish for the alligator gar with rod and reel. There's been a major hookup by one of them as we eased the boat toward the water, but he host it at the shore. Substantial fish!!! We took it as an omen.

Clear of the fishermen, CK opened the throttle on the boat. The wind felt good against my skin, giving relief from the muggy, warm air. In a run of a mile or so Curtis now eased back on the throttle and we slowed to trolling speed. The generator was started and lit up our little section of river.
We'd planned our arrival so that we had light to get on the river by and yet had little time to wait for darkness.
It was almost too dark to see when we slowed to hunting speed and flipped on the lights.

Though not impossible, the water conditions weren't as good as they could have been. Most places you could see a foot into the water and that's about it. The fish were there. No doubt about that. Mullet ran in short frenzied bursts ahead of us and the first gar of the evening flipped out of sight as we approached where he was laying.
That was alright, it was just a little one.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2006, 08:51:00 AM »
Ahhhhhh, yes......the saga continues. Thanks Charlie.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2006, 09:07:00 AM »
I'm Eating this up.......D...R...A...G her out boys this is good FODDER  :bigsmyl:

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2006, 09:10:00 AM »
I don't remember who shot the first shot. Jason and I were up on the front deck. That's the catbird seat, so to speak. I remember Jason started out on the shore side of the boat while I'd cover the area from straight ahead to out toward the middle of the river.

Curtis complained that the fish weren't as numerous as usual and Jason and I certainly understood what he was saying. BUT! We were having some real fun. There were short spells when we'd not be seeing anything and then longer spells when the action would be fast and heavy arrows, chunked into the murky water left and right. The whir of line spilling off bow reels just audible above the drone of the generator.

I think it might have been my first fish of the night... if not it was ONE OF  the first. We'd come into a little inlet of a place and mullet were scattering around us. Bright silver sides flashed through clouds of water and sent speeding V's of wake, lapping toward the muddy bank.

We didn't particularly want the mullet. They're not worth much for eating (at least in my mind) and they were way too fast for any serious shooting, but they'd give you a heart attack just the same thinking you'd just started the new world record gar.

I finally shot at one out of frustration. The fish took a fairly straight run from my left to my right and I jerked the 67# longbow to full draw as I slashed the bow toward him. The arrow was away as my fingertips just passed anchor and it penetrated the water close to the speeding mullet. It hit bottom in the shallow water and it's nock end twitched spasmodically... I nailed that puppy! Cool!!
I figured that was a great way to start the night and that it portended great things for me. That didn't turn out to be quite accurate (and neither was I for that matter).

Gary had taken the helm and Curtis had taken up a "door gunner" position at the side of the boat behind me. We were all shooting most of the time now.
I must say that Jason was hammerin the gar that night. Curtis was his usual deadly self. I couldn't hit my ass with both hands.
Fish after fish came and went and I was consistently "on" with my shots, but always a an inch high. Once my brain tells me where to put the arrow, there is no adjusting that. The old brain was telling me those fish were right at the surface and they in fact were not.  
I was misreading their positions in the water and wasn't allowing for refraction correctly. For a while, it really sucked to be me. LOL

I put my share of fish in the boat that night, but Jason and Curtis accounted for most of them and though we spent many hours looking, we never found the giants that we really wanted. We were having a blast.

There was the incident of the frog. We'd spotted a big old bullfrog resting on the bank. Frogs had been mysteriously absent so far. We meant to add this one to the cooler.
Jason shot first and anchored his solid glass fish arrow in the mud beside the frog. I slid into position to take the second shot and put my arrow in the mud low.
Curtis came in with an arrow to clean up the whole debacle and promptly missed wide of the mark. The frog blinked lazilly and leapt into the water.

I don't remember what Gary's comment about our shooting was, but I'm sure it wasn't kind. LOL
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2006, 10:08:00 AM »
Originally posted by Charlie Lamb:
Fish after fish came and went and I was consistently "on" with my shots, but always a an inch high. Once my brain tells me where to put the arrow, there is no adjusting that. The old brain was telling me those fish were right at the surface and they in fact were not.  
I was misreading their positions in the water and wasn't allowing for refraction correctly.
I hear ya loud and clear there Mr. Lamb...that's why I don't bowfish. I'm just not good enough to switch back and forth I guess.

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2006, 12:15:00 PM »
This is great stuff guys, thanks.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2006, 12:48:00 PM »
JC,it mess's with my shootin some but it's so much fun and far enuff from huntin season that it's not a big deal to get back on tract....besides ya still shoot at a spot per say it's just under the target LOL I always suggest aiming real low and when ya think your low enuff aim 6" under that LOL guess that depends on how close to the surface they are.

Thanks for sharing this story I've really been enjoying the read!!
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2006, 12:49:00 PM »
The nice thing about being around friends when you miss is the fact that there is always someone there to point out your shortcommings. Nicely point them out I might add. Everyone knows how frustrating is can get when ya just can't seem to find that sweet spot somewhere between refraction, water depth, and not making anchor due to quick moving fish. Jason and I certainly showed Lamb our level of "friendship" by critiqueing his form and style frequently. What are friends for? lol! Heck, I'm certainly not one to speak about shortcommings. I couldn't hit a fish for half the night.

The seemingly constant barrage of small gators had us stopping frequently to take pictures. For once I was glad the gators were around. It gave us something to do between the few fish we did see. This trip was one of the least productive in quite some time. The shooting was still ample to keep us busy but the recent rainfall had scattered the big fish into the depths. We'd have to try again some other time if we were to strike a really big one. CK

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2006, 10:27:00 PM »
The fish we were shooting were mostly small, hammer handle size gar. I was amazed at the seeming variety of colors and species we shot. One gar would be near orange in color and the very next one almost jet black and about every combination of the two in between.  

There were birds too. We'd hum along one side of the river and the lush foliage by the bank would often droop out over the water.  As the boat would cruise close to the brush, a bird that must have been a little green Heron would come flapping out. As they cleared the brush they'd lighten their load to gain speed.
It had a way of keeping us on our toes.

Here and there we found sign of the wild hogs in the area. The cover looked perfect for them  and the rivers edge provided cooling water and mud. We found several wallows along the way.
You just knew the deer in those parts grew big racks, living unseen in the rank green vegetation of the coastal jungle. Their tracks too were evident at the edge of the water and deep freshly traveled ruts showed passage of many deer up the bank into the tight cover.

Often we'd find one fish and there'd be several in the same area. More than once we all had an arrow in the water and were reeling frantically for a shot at another fish. Just as often we all have arrows in fish and we had to scurry to keep lines from tangling beyond imagination.

Most of the alligators we saw were smallish specimens, though there was one of substantial size. The little ones moved and looked more like lizards while this fella was a chunk. I wouldn't mind shooting just one alligator if I got the chance.
Permit drawings are very competitive and it's a very controled hunt from what I've heard.

Into the night we shot and by 3 a.m. we were getting ready to head back to the dock. The plan was to grab some sleep and switch to a different river in the afternoon.
I can tell ya the truck camper bunk felt pretty good and I barely noticed the rain that came through the  rest of the night and into the next morning.

Awaking at mid morning we had a quick discussion  of our options. We could switch rivers and try to find one with clearer water or head north and hunt hogs. I could see a twinkle in Jason's eye when Curtis suggested it and made the vote unanimous. We'd head for Curtis lease after first unloading the boat and making a switch of tackle.

During that process we each got a hot shower and some couch time before heading out for pigs.

Just before dark I found myself slipping cautiously into the Texas brush trying to ambush a pig.

My evening went pretty slow. A few mosquito bites and a couple deer sightings. I'd set up a hasty blind near a well worn trail across a sendero. Curtis assured me the place was crawling with hogs.

A half hour before it got too dark to shoot a coon shuffled across the trail upwind of me. I lost sight of him in just a little bit, but felt that his direction of travel would bring him near me. I nocked an arrow and half turned to face where I knew he was.

There seems to be a million coons in Texas and that many racoons is always cause problems. They seemed to do their share of damage to any thing you'd leave out.
Curtis wanted a few thinned off the place and I'd help him if I got a chance.

The little bear did come out of the brush near me, but on my off side and way to close to turn without spooking him. I'd just watch  him and see what happened.
It only took a couple of minutes and the little bandit was within a few feet of  me. He came slowly and kinda thought something was up, but the empty peanut hulls I'd discarded tempted him mightily.

He'd raise up on his hinds like they do when they're trying to figure out what they're looking at and turn his head from side to side. He never did seem as if he recognized me as trouble and eventually waddled off into the brush from whence he'd come.

Not much to report for the rest of the evening. At least not for me. Jason had a pretty big adventure and gathered in his first and a very nice boar hog. I'm sure he'll tell all about it in TBM, so I won't steal his thunder here.

I had one more oportunity to hunt before the trip would be over and that would be a night hunt.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline HARL

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2006, 10:36:00 PM »
Great Stuff fellas !!
62"63@28 Zipper Nitro
62"60@28 Zipper Nitro
A Doz. Hill Longbows

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2006, 11:25:00 PM »
Yeah, the bowfishing was an absolute blast, but I was really itching to go on my first hog hunt.

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2006, 04:33:00 AM »
Great hog, Jason!  Wonderful thread, guys!!!
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Firstarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2006, 05:43:00 AM »
Looks good to me. You all know how to have fun.

Look I'm Green with envy!  :D
Being first, making a mark and being part of
something great!
Rich

May you keep the wind to your nose, have the patience of Job, and have your Firstarrow fly true.

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2006, 08:43:00 AM »
We,, I'm loading up for a three day goat hunt out in far west Texas this morning. Better wrap this up. Here is a "posed" pic of one of the larger gators we saw that night. I find it strange that the gators sometime get in the boat lights and just ease along at the same speed as the boat. They either like the lime-light or they are beggin for a wrassling. LOL! This one went unharmed as did all the gators we encountered on the trip. Can't say the same about the fish or the hogs.  :D  

Well, I'm headed west now! Hope to be creating a few more storys with some of you guys soon. How about 5 species of wild, free ranging goats in steep, rocky terrain? Be well! Have a great weekend! CK

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2006, 08:59:00 AM »
Great story guys, love the pics. Nice hog Jason. So that was your first hog hunt? Daaaaang! Yer plumb spoiled now!

CK, I love hunting that type of terrain in Texas too. I've had some awesome hunts in and around the Uvalde area. Cept for the whiterock scraping and breaking any arrow that misses...um...I mean passes through   :D   5 species wild, free ranging in that type of terrain, sounds like another piece of heaven to me.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2006, 09:25:00 AM »
Great story. Now are there anymore of those "extra ribs" laying around?    :bigsmyl:
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Joe D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2006, 05:45:00 PM »
Great stuff guys!   :bigsmyl:
Joe D
"Silva Vocat"

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2006, 09:45:00 PM »
OH MY FELLAS........Is it over ???

I haven't gotten my fill YET  :readit:  

WE needs M O R E............  :bigsmyl: .....vance

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2006, 10:15:00 PM »
Vance,

Curtis should be sending me my frozen deboned meat via FedEx early next week. I'll have to unthaw it and do the final cuts. I suppose I'll just butcher it like a deer.

How to cook it? Don'tcha just put some heat under the stuff?   :campfire:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©