INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Hog Huntin with Ray Hammond  (Read 10238 times)

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hog Huntin with Ray Hammond
« Reply #80 on: August 02, 2006, 10:09:00 PM »
20 quick steps later I neared an oxbow I would have to detour up the bank around.....one step up the bank and the water 10 feet in front of me parted like someone felled a tree into it's murky depths.

Holy....smokes! So that's what a gator tail looks like flailing through the water....thankfully, away from me. I scurried up the bank and continued my pursuit through the cane and brush.

10 sweaty minutes later I had covered 50 yards and now....could no longer hear the pigs. They had escaped.....
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: August 02, 2006, 10:21:00 PM »
Do we need to beg some more for another installment?
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: August 02, 2006, 10:22:00 PM »
Past that boy's bedtime so I guess I'll just wrap it up! Wow...all that and then shots, misses and "Oh, Lordie" run ins with gators headed in the right direction! You live well, JC!

:eek:    :rolleyes:    :cool:
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: August 02, 2006, 10:25:00 PM »
Ray waved from the other side of the bank.....I motioned if he heard or saw them....the look on his face said it all. They were gone.

I carefully made my way back down stream, searched a few moments for the two arrows that were now somewhere over kansas, pulled my first miss out of the muck and crossed, making my way back out to the road. Careful of course, for any scaleys that might mistake me for an overgrown piglet.

I was dejected....I was irritated with myself. I could tag a golf ball with regularity from that distance but I had nerved myself completely off a 60# porker. I knelt and after wiping the mudd off, quickly buffed a razor edge back on the miss and put it back in my quiver. Then I noticed that everywhere around me....EVERYWHERE the ground had been tilled seemingly just moments before.

And I heard the grunts....two pigs, just across the road, moving away from me but not spooked. Now spurred on by my failures I pushed it...trotting after them in an attempt to catch up. I simply couldn't keep up with them....

I got my bearings and headed back towards the road. But not before, with my head hung in shame, I noticed yet another wonder of His creation....

I had to laugh at myself....it was a miss, an old fashioned honest one at that...a deflection....and a "not there when the arrow arrived". I was humbled....I could think back on my six years with the stickbow and count on 2 fingers the number of previous misses on big game.....I guess I had a lesson to learn.

Back at the truck I sat on the tailgate carving a piece of dry sausage. The sting was gone now, replaced with the replaying movie of the last half hour.

Ray laughed down the trail and I turned to see his grin. "I was whistling and whistling....I was afraid that big gator had got you."

Nawww....it was only maybe a six footer. Then Ray looked really seriously and said..."No, I meant the 20'x3' slide that was another 10 yards down the bank from where you turned back." GULP.

Did you see me shoot?  With a giggle I got "I saw you miss.....3 times!" Only a good friend can jab you like that and it not hurt. We laughed and headed back to camp.

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: August 02, 2006, 10:25:00 PM »
I'm hoping he's loading more pics -- pig pics!
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: August 02, 2006, 10:35:00 PM »
Back at the trailer I piled out and immediately perforated the hog target three times within a half inch of where I was looking.

Now why didn't I do that with that shoate! "Cuz that, ain't got fur on it" Ray said with a grin. He consoled me with the fact that I need to miss many many times over my trad future to catch up with him. Yep, it was humbling.

For all you guys that hung on looking for blood...I'm sorry. You can leave now, I've lead you on for nothing.

For all you who followed in a hunt for the sake of a hunting tale, followed a hunt that will forever be many happy memories for me, I will tell you I am a better hunter because of my failure than I would have been because of a bloody arrow and a pig hanging in the skinning shed. I choked, whiffed, messed up....whatever you want to call it....and it was my turn to. No excuses, only the burning desire to remain in control of my faculties next time...not rush my shot...pick a smaller spot....forget about the gators....and a million other things that have run through my mind since those 3 arrows that didn't connect.

Thank you Ray. I learned a lot on this trip. You are a good friend, and a fine man. I'm proud to have spent the time with you. Maybe next time....or the next. But you know what, even if not....I had a trip I will look back on for years to come and smile deeply. And I will long for the next one....

To good friends to hunt with, beautiful sights of God's endless wonder, the excitement of the hunt.....and oh yeah....pigs....I'll be back!  :thumbsup:  

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: August 02, 2006, 10:38:00 PM »
Great pics and an even better story. Excellent job JC!
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: August 02, 2006, 10:46:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing Joe....good story none the less my friend.   :campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Leland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: August 02, 2006, 10:48:00 PM »
Thanks for the story,sounds like you had a great time.You did'nt make meat, but you made some great memories.

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: August 02, 2006, 11:02:00 PM »
Thanks JC that was awesome readin.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: August 02, 2006, 11:06:00 PM »
Great story Joe - had me on the edge of my seat the whole way.  Now you know how the rest of us feel most of the time..........  :(  
But you found what was most important anyway, so it all turned out good  :thumbsup:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: August 02, 2006, 11:08:00 PM »
Good attitude, JC!  That's proof that a successful hunt can be measured in a lot of ways.    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Mudfeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: August 02, 2006, 11:18:00 PM »
That was cool!!  :thumbsup:
"Dad, you and me are bow shooting huntin buddies OK?"

My son Kasey- age 5...Jan 8, 2007

Keith Bruner

Offline Hogtamer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: August 02, 2006, 11:45:00 PM »
JC: That "flower" you couldn't identify is crotalaria  (spelling??), a legume that was imported as a "land builder."  Those green pods turn brown in the fall and the seeds within are shaped sort of like a boxing glove.  NOTHING eats them in the wild because they are deadly poison.  When a farmer takes a load of corn or soybeans to the elevator to sell, several samples are pulled with long tubes that go all the way to the bottom of the truck.  ONE crotalaria seed in the samples and the whole load has to be cleaned so as to guarantee none of the seeds can be ground up as feed....

Offline Brian Halbleib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: August 03, 2006, 02:07:00 AM »
Some of the best hunting stories I've ever read ended without the taking of game, and this one is no exception. But the hunt was a success anyway based on all the wonderful pictures you were kind enough to show us. Fantastic story telling JC, you really captured this reader. Looking forward to hunting with you next month.

-Brian
 www.bowyersjournal.com

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: August 03, 2006, 07:27:00 AM »
great spending time with you JC. He is a great campmate, fellas...always a cheerful spirit, always ready to try whatever you think up, always offering to pitch in and help- and always happy to be doing whatever he's doing.

THAT'S the kind of fellow you want to spend your days with in hunting camp.

Thanks for going with me JC...and for not making me skin hogs in 102 degree weather!We'll get after them again soon, and you will be successful I am sure. Glad that BIG GATOR didn't get you, for sure...would have not wanted to tell Miss Kim about that.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: August 03, 2006, 07:50:00 AM »
JC, Great story and great hunt.  It's the trip not the meat pole that keeps your heart singing.  Sounds like you two had a wonderful ride.  Congrats on a very successful trip...Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: August 03, 2006, 07:52:00 AM »
Sure read like a winner to me, guys. Kudos to JC and Ray for a memorable hunt! Been there, done that (or similar at least -   ;)  )
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline DirtyDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: August 03, 2006, 08:17:00 AM »
Great story, JC.  I enjoyed it thoroughly.  Don't feel bad about that.  If this sport was easy, it wouldn't be near as much fun.

Offline Miss Kim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: August 03, 2006, 08:23:00 AM »
Now Ray I have to tell ya, I wasn't really excited when JC told me about the gators either. Notice, he waited until AFTER the hunt to tell me about them.......  :rolleyes:  
He said if that big gator had gotten him that "Ray would go back and get my bow...it's too good of a bow to leave out there." What are hunting buddies for? That's supposed to make me feel better.......oh well, you brought him back safe and sound with some great memories.
Thank you.......
Kim

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©