INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Late December  (Read 1559 times)

Offline mike hall

• Trad Bowhunter
Late December
« on: January 01, 2007, 05:17:00 PM »
The LDB and I have spent a few mornings together and came close to pulling off a first. I've yet to take a coyote with a bow but had a seriously close encounter the other day. Tried my darndest to save a hot area for the bow to work it's magic and it paid off, at least in my book.
First light came with temps pretty mild for Ohio this time of year, and I didn't mind a bit. I think it only took 30 minutes or so before noticing a group of 8 does and fawns moving out of a power line thicket and towards my stand. They moved along pretty steady in single file but as they crossed a small dried up creek they picked a little side trail that skirts my stand at about 50 yards. Tried a couple doe grunts which brought the train to a stop but it didn't interest them enough to come investigate. No biggy, it's early and I've got LDB mojo on my side. After a short time they split up and filtered into the honeysuckle thickets behind me.
Maybe twenty minutes or so ticks off and the does headed back my way, still on the wrong trail and still wanting nothing to do with my doe grunts, but this time they have a friend with them. He's a small racked buck with 8 points and seems to be interested in one or two of the younger girls. The group headed back into the power line and the buck holes up just behind me for a little break.
I guess it's 10 or 15 minutes later and I hear a racket behind me, the buck is bounding a safe distance out to watch a coyote trotting down the main trail which brought him to three steps off my left side. LDB and I are standing and ready for the quartering away as he passes, but 2 steps short of my shot he looks up.  He paused a second or two, probably wondering what triggered his sixth sense, then walks a couple quick steps to his left and takes cover behind a rootball of a blow down. He hangs up for 3 or 4 seconds, then as he steps out my spruce arrow tipped with an ace standard slams in the dirt between his legs. Soooooooo close to bagging my first coyote and with the legendary LDB.
About 2 minutes pass after my shot and I hear snap behind me, it's the small 8. He's bird dogging the path of my coyote friend and ends up in the same spot three steps off my left side from behind. He looks up, pauses a couple seconds and turns to follow the yotes scent to the blow down.
I've read a few posts on here speaking of how a deer will "offer itself" to you and this buck surely did. I'm positive the LDB could have taken him but with another 5 weeks in the season I decided that I'd hold off.
That days hunt ended and as I lowered the LDB from my perch I hear the crashing of three small bucks heading to the power line.
 Two feet on the ground and packing up my stand I look over my shoulder and another buck is headed to the power line . A dandy 6 with a huge body and horn's thicker than thick. He was proud, with a deep wide chest and muscles that made him look like a race horse. I suppose he is the reason I let the younger, smaller buck go and also the reason I'll try another day with the LDB.

Thanks 4nolz.................

Here is a picture I snapped of the eight point on Dec. 20th. Just below my hand you can see part of the rootball and if you look to the 10 o'clock position from my broadhead you can see the deer. Would have had a much better picture but I snagged a piece of tree bark while fumbling for the camera and he bounced out a bit.

Offline Abel

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Late December
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 07:38:00 PM »
Great story. Thanks for sharing.
"A bow in the hand is worth two in the bush."

Offline mike hall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 05:03:00 PM »
Well, I spent my last afternoon with the Little Delta Bow just enjoying some outstanding January weather and flinging a few arrows. This bow has no problem shooting a nutter either.

Found a dandy stove pipe hedge apple while I was out. May have to come back for this one.

Good clean tree way on up.

Had a ball with the bow nolzy.
Thanks for the opportunity, Mike

Offline Weasel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 03:03:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing, Mike! Man, I love that bow!

Jerry
I have a free roaming, ranging mind -- sometimes it reports back to me...
---------------------------

Offline mike hall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 07:08:00 PM »
Sure am glad to be a part of it...........
It's funny how your confidence level rises when your holding that bow and I love the smaller grip on her.
Great article in Traditional Bowhunter Magazine Jerry. Very cool.

Offline Jason Lester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 07:14:00 PM »
Dang it LDB so close and I didn't get a look at her. Guess I need to get on the list for next year...
Jason Lester

Offline Weasel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 07:33:00 PM »
Thanks, Mike!

Jerry
I have a free roaming, ranging mind -- sometimes it reports back to me...
---------------------------

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©