INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Counting down to the Wingnut, Trashwood, James and Jason Elk adventure  (Read 11313 times)

Offline James Young

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Counting down to the Wingnut, Trashwood, James and Jason Elk adventure
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2006, 12:41:00 PM »
bailing wire.. I FORGOT BAILING WIRE.. but I don have duct tape. no self respecting stick shooter would forget the duct tape.  I do have some JB weld that could come in handy in a pinch.

James Young

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2006, 12:44:00 PM »
Don't forget to have a good time.

One thing I make sure of is to have what I need in case someone pulls up lame or gets sick.  :scared:   etc.
Got wood? - Tom

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2006, 01:12:00 PM »
Don't forget the gutting gloves!   :thumbsup:  

I'm just thinking ahead for ya'll.  :archer:
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Fritz Brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2006, 02:24:00 PM »
Mike,  I would offer you a place to stop and pee and fill your coffee cups, but Im probably not going to be at home during the day on Wednesday (what with earning a living and all).  

Curtis,  You know that one thing that you cant live without and always forget?  Well, I have forgotten it so many times that I have found the solution to the problem.  In my jeep, every pack I own, every camping box I have, and every place else I can think of is....... a roll of TP.  I've used way too many scratchy leaves in my life. Never again  :)

-Fritz
What demon possessed me,
that I behaved so well.
          -H.D. Thoreau

A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points,
but it is by no means the most interesting.
-Dr. Who

Offline AZStickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2006, 03:57:00 PM »
Bailing wire and duct tape......  :bigsmyl:  Terry
"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it.".. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2006, 08:06:00 AM »
Well it's daylight again and we are checking lists and packing the trailer.  Headed to Costco soon as they open to get the grub.

Had to put new tires on the trailer yesterday with a higher load rating since Rusty is comeing over this weekend to deposit his gear.  LOL

Bows and arrows are shooting great.  Gear pile is getting higher.  Things are good.

Come on Monday!!!

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2006, 08:09:00 AM »
Hey Mike just got my puter fixed and catching up (hard drive crashed)

Good luck up there chasing those tawny hide ghosts, and tell Rusty and James I said hey!

Looking forward to the tales and hero pics upon your return.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline MOBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2006, 09:47:00 AM »
Good hunting to all of ya.  keith

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2006, 12:28:00 PM »
I just shipped my pack and bow to Idaho yesterday.  Total weight is about 35#.  I'm packing a little heavy this time around though  :)   I don't forget nothing 'cause I don't take nothing.  I do have some duct tape though.  I got backups for everything in my carryon for the plane trip.  I'll have to carve a bow up there and field dress my bull with a rock since I can't carryon sharp stuff.  

Safe travels guys!  Good luck!
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Mark U

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2006, 01:50:00 PM »
Mabe you guys should think about stopping off on our side of the state for a few days.  This just off the press.

James E. Risch

GOVERNOR

NEWS RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:                                                CONTACT:  Brad Hoaglun

September 7, 2006                                                                                          (208) 334-2100

GOVERNOR RISCH AUTHORIZES IMMEDIATE HARVESTING OF ESCAPED ELK

BOISE – Governor Jim Risch signed an emergency Executive Order today authorizing the immediate destruction of all domestic elk that recently escaped from an elk farm in eastern Idaho.

“There is a crisis facing our elk herds in eastern Idaho. Because of the escape of domestic elk that was not reported as required by law, we now have these farm-raised elk mingling with our wild elk herds,” said Risch. The Executive Order I have signed authorizes the employees of Fish and Game and the Department of Agriculture to immediately harvest these domestic elk. The order will also allow the Fish and Game Commission to put into place emergency rules to authorize licensed hunters and private property owners to take these elk without a tag. This emergency action is being taken to protect our wild elk herds in Idaho. There is a serious risk of disease and an altered gene pool from these domestic elk and I am authorizing these activities to begin at the earliest time possible.”

Governor Risch held an emergency meeting Thursday with employees of the Fish and Game and Agriculture to develop an action plan to eradicate the escaped domestic elk.

On August 14 a complaint was filed with state agencies about some domestic elk had escaped from a private elk ranch in Fremont County. It is estimated that 160 elk had escaped through a hole in the fence. Attempts to recapture the animals have had only limited success.

The Idaho Fish and Game Commission has given 24 hours notice that they will adopt emergency rules that will allow licensed elk hunters and private property owners to harvest the domestic elk. They will meet by conference call at 3 p.m. Friday.

Domestic elk are required to have two identify marks and ear tagging is the common method for marking. The identification tags from the harvested elk must be reported to the local Fish and Game office. While not required, tissue samples from the domestic elk is being requested to allow further testing of the animal.

The Department of Agriculture has oversight of elk farms in the state, but state law does not require the licensure of the facilities.

###
So don't wait until you retire to go hunting and fishing.  Don't even wait for your annual vacation.  Go at every opportunity.  Things that appear urgent at the moment may, in the long run, turn out to be far less so.

Ted Trueblood

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2006, 10:52:00 PM »
OH MY   :eek:    :eek:  

Half the world is headed WEST...Even CURTIS  "[tunglaff]"    "[tunglaff]"  

Safe travel, GREAT HUNTING and TAKE NO PRISONERS

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2006, 12:00:00 AM »
May you all encounter curious retarded bulls just uphill and outside of camp with large racks, and tender flesh.  Praying you shoot straight and have plenty of cooler space.  That should cover it for you.  Goodluck and Godspeed.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2006, 07:15:00 AM »
Well it's almost dawn with two days to go and I can't sleep.  Been up addressing DVD envelopes for an hour.

Trailers about packed, gotta get the clothes in the bins this am and get them in and Sleeping bag packed.  Man I don't want to forget the sleeping bags, cuddling with James is not a good way to stay warm!!  Whewwwwwwwwwww!  :scared:  

Last of the bow orders went out yesterday so that's checked off the list.

Well need coffee!!

BTW it looks like we might be able to stop and shake paws with Vance and Charlie on the way by.  That's cool!!

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2006, 09:50:00 AM »
My hunting buddy and I are waiting and leaving on Sept 15th ...... hunting the last 9 days of the season.

I've never hunted those last days, but I've hunted the second to last week and experience tells me the later the better IF you can find unpressured animals.

Slip into a little canyon or flat and find a group of animals that haven't been hunted and the satellite bulls should be a reasonable goal.

I'll take that ....... I've not killed an elk with a trad bow and its killing me  :)

Offline James Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2006, 09:53:00 AM »
Wingnut you better not get your hopes up.. I only snuggle with Bonnie.  She's prettier and smells way better than you.  I have my standard cold weather sleeping gear... two sleeping bags and my 7 horse blankets.. now for the realy cold nights I have two fleece blankets to go along with all the other stuff and mittens.  Been thinking of those battery operated socks that I could hook into the truck.. Hey wait a minute.... an electric blanket or two or three should do the trick..

Can hear ya now: " One time in Elk camp it was really cold at night and I unplugged James' electric blankets to get him outa bed to light the heaters and make coffee.. and it weren't good.. "  LOL

Everything is packed and I even have some elk sinew in case we need to rebuild something   :thumbsup:  

I've been up al night at work.. getting a little punch drunk so I must now sleep.. Wait I think I forgot something.. Dang it.  Got ta unpack to make sure.. ( For the 7th time in three days)

James Young

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2006, 09:11:00 PM »
Another day gone by.  Got most everything staged to go in the trailer and truck tomorrow.  We take a big camp but we will be gone for three weeks and do like to be comfortable.  Fire restrictions forced a change in plans with the wood stove and bbq.  I got a big propane heater that will take the chill off for sure and picked up a gas bbq.  GASP!!

Well with a few mods tomorrow the bbq will run off of the 20# tank and all will be well.

Expect James to show about 10 even though he says he will sleep and come at 2.  Rusty should arrive with his stuff about noon.  We finish packing, check the list and pull out at 0400 on Monday.

Dang that's a long time to wait.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline James Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2006, 09:49:00 AM »
0400 TOMMORROW!!?????  :banghead:  we have to wait that long??

Lets go already.. Getting ready to take a real short nap.. like thats gonna happen. chunk everything in the truck and head to wingnut's.. The adventure is about to begin.  Yeehaw...

James Young

Offline AZStickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2006, 10:36:00 AM »
I'll be about a week and 4 days behind ya... You all have me chomping at the bit now too....Made a scouting trip up to the high country with the better half yesterday and things are looking good...... Might even have a new honey hole close vertigo point...... Terry
"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it.".. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2006, 11:45:00 AM »
Wingnut and Jason make a pretty bow, no doubt about that.  This is one they made for me.  Now, i'll be honest with ya.....looks don't do nothing for me unles I'm gonna date her   :)  , but this is a pic of my best group at 30 yds.  Hey the bow is not just another pretty face.  Da dang thing will shoot.  This is the 58" BushWacker 60#@28".  I am shooting a cordavan tab with a no pinch insert.

30 shots at 30 yds with no passes.  Not all the groups were this good though (oh ya shot with me before and knew that aeh?   :)   ).  I been shoot'n quite a bit lately getting ready for the elk hunt.  Now that I can hit the target at 30 yds I just hope I can hit a grouse at 10'...seems I have a harder time at 7' than 30 yds.

outstanding performer, great speed

rusty

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2006, 11:51:00 AM »
oh well it likley won't matter too much.  Wingnut and Jason say they are busting golf balls with every shoot and I saw James kill a Scaled quail at 20yds.....i probablely won't get a shot anyway........  :)  NOT!!! when gatlin gun Craine is on the line ya better shoot fast  :)

Rusty - gatlin gun- Craine, three arrows in the air at one time  :)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©