INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Counting down to the Wingnut, Trashwood, James and Jason Elk adventure  (Read 11317 times)

Offline tmccall

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Counting down to the Wingnut, Trashwood, James and Jason Elk adventure
« Reply #80 on: September 24, 2006, 10:33:00 PM »
Thanks Bonnie, it's great to get these in-hunt progress reports.  Not many days left now, maybe a couple of them will close the deal soon!
Tony McCall

Jesus.  There is no other name...  Acts 4:12

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: September 27, 2006, 12:27:00 PM »
tap tap tap tap .... waiting in anticipation.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: September 27, 2006, 12:50:00 PM »
Thanks Tom I was just going huntin for this thread myself  :thumbsup:  

Now someone throw another LOG on da FIRE PLEASE

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: September 27, 2006, 08:13:00 PM »
Here's a log. Anybody got a cup of coffee?

Danny
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: September 28, 2006, 12:44:00 PM »
I'll add another log to the embers  :bigsmyl:

Offline James Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: September 28, 2006, 08:49:00 PM »
Last time James called (Monday) there was nothing new to add, but I think they should be home this coming Monday or Tuesday.  So stories will start then.  I am going to warn you though, as long as he talked on the phone about this hunt, I think you guys are in for an even LONGER story.

Bonnie

Offline Roughcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: September 28, 2006, 09:50:00 PM »
I like long stories bout hunts  :thumbsup:

Offline tmccall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: September 28, 2006, 10:07:00 PM »
Get the coffee brewing... almost story time and, boy, cna wingnut ever spin a yarn... can't wait!!!!
Tony McCall

Jesus.  There is no other name...  Acts 4:12

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: September 30, 2006, 07:39:00 PM »
I got back from elkcamp yesterday around 7PM.  I was a great hunt.  Da Boyz left this AM.

this was my third elk hunt so I am by no means any kind of expert but I have got some things to share with ya till the boyz get back.

Number one -

Elk hunt is a lot of work!!!!  Elk often live in very thick stuff.  it is hard to get thru, it is easy to get tripped up and fall tea cup of tea kettle, ya have often have to go up very steep stuff to get to where they are....i mean very steep stuff.

this clip is pretty big....if ya got the band width, it will show ya what da boyz were going thru.   watch how quickly their heads disappear ...near straight down.

http://trashwoodbow.com/panamovies/elkclip.mpg  

rusty

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: September 30, 2006, 07:49:00 PM »
now the next thing is...the dang things are big.  heck fire I am a texas flat land boy and hunt sub-150# texas whitetail all my life.  'em elk can be 8 or 9 times that size and I got no idea how tall they are but they are up in the air on a lot of leg.   So when I see an elk at 40 yds, he looks like he is at about 15 yds.  ya see it is one of 'em relativity things.  if ya spend 4+ decades shooting at texas white tail in the field and in 3D shoots sumpin in your mind (or in my case the absense of mind) tries to make that shot...dangit

add this to the fact that texas boyz don't have a chance to shoot shots at 30 or 40 degrees up or down hill....

this all adds up to a lot of low shots  :) .

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: September 30, 2006, 07:55:00 PM »
next things is....

Mike is bugling, I'm cow calling, jason is answer with a calf call, the bull is going crazy, bugling, stomping around and trashing trees.....

now my adrenline spikes, now knees are knocking, i am having to breath thru my mouth....and Idaho only has two molecules of oxygen for the whole state. my glasses of fogged up cause now I am sweating in 32 degree temperature.  In the back of my mind I know I'm gonna have to carry this beast back over what I have just come thru....life is good!!!!

rusty

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: September 30, 2006, 08:04:00 PM »
i took a parabolic mic and digital recorder.  I got some elk bugling and cows talk that I will post as mp3 file pretty soon.  

wiith that note, if ya ain't been elking hunt before and thanking about going ya need to look into calling.  

Bugling is pretty hard to get right but cow calling is pretty easy and ya gonna have to learn to do it.

some of the squeez calls are a surefire way to get a good sound.  i worked severals herds of cows by myself and got good response.

rusty

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: September 30, 2006, 08:18:00 PM »
OK let me tell ya my story while we waiting for the boyz to get home.  this year i wanted to do a lot of videoing so I didn't buy an elk tag but bought a general tag. with that ya can shot a mule deer or bear or cougar.  hmmmmm well I we had been seeing a few bears.  I decided I'd give a bear a try...it didn't matter that I knew absolutley nothing about bears or bearing hunting...but Wingnut did   :)  

Wingnut said i would have a slim chance of getting a shot at a bear withot baiting, dogs or sumpin...

heee heee next night as i turned off the bridge and rounded a curve......there was a  black bear walking down my side of the rode.   I pulled the jeep over and got out.  he crossed the rode and went up a near verticle game trail with out a problem at all.   I backed off and went to the camp.  the next afternoon I took Wingnut back to show me a bear track which oddly enough are pretty hard to see.  We found the bear track withot any problem.  Wingnut showd me how to found bear tracks and how to make a guess at how much the bear weighed by the size of his track.  this one was in the 200 # range.....plumb good enough for me....

rusty

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: September 30, 2006, 09:28:00 PM »
Wingnut tougth me a trick.   Ya take a pine bough and sweep the old tracks away.  that way ya can tell if the bear used that trail during the night.  I went in the next morning a swept the trail clean.  I looked around and found several other trails he was using.  The trails were above a boggy creek.  Wingnut said that this time of year they might be eating grass.  I looked the grass over and indeed found several areas that looked to have been worked over by the bear.  there were several areas where he had been digging and clawing the bank for sumpin.  

I had laid the area out well in my mind.  I was ready if he used any of the trials.  Wingnut said that bears worked a lot at night, so I though I would come back tonight and set over some of the biggest bank diggins.

rusty

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: September 30, 2006, 09:42:00 PM »
I had taken my 44 speical pistol with me.  240 gr semi-wade cutter over all the blue dot the pistol could handle.  over lunch we discussed the idea of taking my 44 with me as backed up, just in case.  Wingnut told me no matter what for me not to follow up the bear in the dark but back out and get the boyz and we would follow it up together.  I decided to leave the pistol in the truck.

rusty

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: September 30, 2006, 11:04:00 PM »
when I went in that PM that it had been no movement on the trails as you would expect.  The wind was right i could set up between the diggings on the creek bank and the trail he had used the night before.   no bear showd but two mule deer doe and a fawn came in down the trail.  for a few minutes i had to decide if i wanted to fill my take with an easy shot on a mule deer doe or hold out for the bear.  I decided to wait a few more days for the bear.

the next morning I went with da boyz to video some elk hunting.

rusty

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: September 30, 2006, 11:35:00 PM »
Enjoying this Rusty!!  :wavey:   Sounds like you all had a great time...keep it up!
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: October 01, 2006, 12:40:00 AM »
I hav a feeling we are in for another great story.
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: October 01, 2006, 05:33:00 AM »
Ditto what Chad said    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :)
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: October 01, 2006, 08:45:00 AM »
Oh boy, oh boy... more western critter chasing.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©