INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Yet another western adventure (CO/AK/MT)  (Read 7021 times)

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Yet another western adventure (CO/AK/MT)
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2006, 03:36:00 PM »
Hang in there, the story gets better, I promise.  I'll have more by saturday morning.

Mickey, I am still coming up to Ohio in November but my Georgia buddies can't make it and I'm not sure about Dave Kretchmar (still coming, Dave???).  Daniel wants another big Buckeye buck and I wouldn't mind some meat in the freezer!  I REALLY want to meet up with you this fall!
"He has also made me as a select arrow, He has hidden me in His quiver." - Isaiah 49:2

Offline H A Higgins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2006, 03:58:00 PM »
Jeff - where are you coming up with this?
This is nothing like what was told at the dinner table back in Kodiak!  
I've gotta get Terry and Eddie's version printed up.  It was a lot more entertaining - especially the details about the bow over the head stalk!
H A Hggins

Indiana Bowhunters Association
Professional Bowhunters Society
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Christian Bowhunters of America
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
Indiana Trappers Association

Offline Jeff Sample

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2006, 04:34:00 PM »
More Saturday????? Geeeesh! :mad:  

Ferret - "what self respecting bowhunter would carry only 1 arrow in a stalk" - Terry and I know Holchin as "Lucky Jeff". That's what kind of *#$% bowhunter would only carry 1 arrow!  ;)
Jeff
Give me oysters and beer, for dinner every day of the year and I'll feel fine – Jimmy Buffett

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2006, 08:00:00 PM »
Jeff lucky? Jeff is knowledgable, determined, patient, persistant and prepared. Jeff makes a lot of his own luck.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2006, 08:57:00 PM »
Uh oh....I was afraid I'd get caught.  Mr. Higgins was one of the hard core guys who tented out in the rain the whole trip, while us softies cuddled up with our blankies in the cabin!  Keep me straight, Herb.

No bears, Bill.  Heck, possums scare me so we didn't want to deal with bears.  Worst carnivore on the island was that darn rancher's dog!

Me lucky?  I used up most of my luck on that Texas hunt, but maybe, just maybe I had a little luck left for this hunt.  I will say, the ending turned out pretty good........
"He has also made me as a select arrow, He has hidden me in His quiver." - Isaiah 49:2

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2006, 12:25:00 PM »
ahem!  :campfire:
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2006, 01:28:00 PM »
Another tease!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2006, 01:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jeff Holchin:
This spot and stalk hunting ain't nothing like treestand hunting those silly whitetails back home.........
You said it all there brother....but that's what makes it so alluring to us who've spent our hunting careers perched high in a tree!
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2006, 06:54:00 PM »
Is it tomorrow yet?  Patiently waiting or awaiting!

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2006, 06:26:00 AM »
Anxiously awaiting the next installment!
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2006, 08:36:00 AM »
My wonderful wife had her hands full while I was gone, juggling the 3 kids, their school, sports, scouts, church, and her job, so I made sure her mom came to visit and help.  Yesterday I had to take her back home to PA - 15 hours driving but I'm back.  Where was I??????  Chad, shouldn't you be hunting?  I know today is Ohio's archery opener.

Oh yeah, day 4 of the sitka blacktail hunt.  The day dawned clear and cool, so Terry and Eddie headed for Buck Ridge while Jim and I decided to cover the ridge where I had missed those 2 bucks - I hoped for a rematch with either buck.  It was a bluebird day, the only one of the trip...

We set up where we could watch about a dozen deer, as the does, fawns and little bucks liked to hang out on the ridge tops.  We could also see into several drainages, where the bucks liked to hide.  Jim eventually grew restless and made a stalk...

Meanwhile, it was THE day for Terry and Eddie, as Eddie executed his patented "tundra flop" to move in and kill this nice buck.....

while Terry claimied his first sitka blacktail...

They had a lot of work, getting those bucks back to camp and we celebrated their good fortune with a meal fit for kings:  very fresh deer chops, grilled salmon, beans, corn, bread and desert.  Here is the salmon being grilled...

The wind and clouds moved in that night, promising a change in the weather.

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2006, 08:54:00 AM »
Two lessons learned so far were, (1) keep the dog away from the deer meat and (2) have more than one arrow available with the bow, so I borrowed a bow quiver from Jim and left the Catquiver behind, as seen above.  By the way, I'm shooting an old Brackenbury Drifter with 50# limbs, carbon arrows and Snuffer heads.

Day 5 dawned rainy and foggy, so Terry and Edddie stayed in camp to take care of the meat and capes, while Jim and I headed for Buck Ridge, which was about an hour's walk from camp.  We soon reached the top of the ridge and encountered a huge flock of ptarmington, maybe 50 birds.  These are the first animals I ever shot at, that laugh at you when you miss.  We each carried only one judo-tipped arrow, so when those arrows lay harmless on the ground in the midst of 100 laughing birds, it got a little frustrating!

The wind began to blow, I mean REALLY blow, from the east and Jim and I split up to cover several big drainages, as the deer where down out of the wind.  Jim ended up with several good stalks, coming very close to killing a very nice buck, while I had several stalks blown by the swirling wind.  It was obvious that I had MUCH to learn about spot and stalk hunting - it was hard to resist the urge to charge right in after a bedded buck, and to realize that the wind does all kinds of contrary things in those drainages.  Each stalk ended in frustration, even my rematch with the "Rainbow Buck".  I found him bedded with a nice 3x3 buck, and I looked the situation over and thought I understood the wind direction.  But when I peeked over the last little ridge, expecting to see 2 bedded bucks about 10 yards away, I saw instead the rear end of a rapidly departing rainbow buck, about 300 yards away!  The 3x3 went the opposite direction.  I was making my fourth and final stalk of the day when the rain started, and when I finally got back to camp 2 hours later, there wasn't a dry spot on my body!

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2006, 08:58:00 AM »
WOW! Congrats on the two bucks! Looks like tough country to stalk in. CK

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2006, 09:06:00 AM »
Great stuff,congrats on the bucks!!

Great pix of another awesome adventure  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2006, 09:13:00 AM »
Cool stuff Jeff.  Just read it all from the beginning.  Looking forward to the rest, keep it comin!   :thumbsup:

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2006, 09:16:00 AM »
Day 6 started out even uglier than the previous day.  Several of the guys were getting anxious about getting out, as a big storm had been predicted and was obviously here.  The plane service was contacted but said that there would be no flying today, so Terry and I headed out to find me a buck.  The first stream crossing was an indication of the kind of wet day we would have...

Terry and I hunted hard all day, as the wind, rain and fog continued.  Terry is a more experienced hunter than me and worked to show me the proper way to hunt these deer.  My first chance was at a very nice in-velvet buck, but his does saved him.  Sonn after that, I found a nice 3x3 bedded just below a knife-edge ridge.  I eased to about 20 yards when he detected me and stood.  This was it!  I drew the bow but discovered a problem - I couln't see out of the right lense of my glasses and he didn't wait until I had cleared the lense!  Darn my luck!  By then we were soaked to the skin, tired, and hungry - perfect!

We decided to check out the side of the big drainage on the way out and only saw a few does and fawns.  On the last ridge, I motioned for Terry to pose for a photo, to document our "maximum effort".  As he posed, he glanced down the slope and spotted a nice buck bedded near the bottom.  He moved closer, than motioned for me to move in from the bottom and get the buck's attention.  I did, the buck stood and Terry's arrow flashed to the buck.  The buck must have ducked, because the hit was only a flesh wound in the neck and I watched him walk away, seemingly unharmed.  There were only a few drops of blood and we followed the trail for several hundred yards uphill, until determining that the buck was still healthy.  Now it was Terry's turn to mentally kick himself, because that was his last chance of the trip.  Just to make sure we got good and wet, the last stream crossing was made on the run and we arrived back at camp soaking wet.  That wood burner sure was nice!

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2006, 09:31:00 AM »
Herb, add in photos of your buck if possible, because I don't have any.

Day 7 was supposed to be our last day of hunting, as the plane was scheduled to pick us up the very next morning.  The plane service was called and they said that they would try to get the first group out later today, weather permitting.  Since the four of us had no idea where Herb and William were, it was decided that Jim, Terry and Eddie would leave today if possible, while I hunted today and them fly out the next day (or whenever) with Herb and William.  So I headed out for my last chance at a buck while the other guys packed up and headed for the island's only lake.

The weather was no better today and I was soaked by the time I got to Buck Ridge.  I got the feeling all day long that the wind hated me, because no matter which way I went, the wind would shift and blow from behind me.  I spotted several small bucks in a little draw, and while circling around to get the wind better, spotted a really nice buck in velvet, down in a the botom of a ravine.  At first those bedding locations seems like poor choices to me, but they turned out to be great in the end.  This buck was dozing but his nose was up in the air, working hard and certainly not asleep!  I didn't even get to within 50 yards before the swirling winds betrayed me and that stalk was over.  As the day wore on and I became more and more desperate, it seemed that tagging a buck wouldn't happen.  Knowing that I was about 5 miles from camp, and that I still had to pack up and get to the lake tonight, I initially planned to quit at 6:00 pm.  Once 6:00 arrived, I moved that time back to 6:30 as I checked "just one more ridge", and then finally 7:00 pm.  At 7:15, I swore that this next spot was the LAST ONE and peeked over to the benches below.   Wait, there was a bedded buck, and he hadn't seen me!  Please GOD, let me have one more shot..........

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2006, 09:43:00 AM »
This time, I forced myself to stop and really look over the situation.  The buck was about 150 yards away, so I determined the wind direction, the best route and took off out of his sight.  When I peeked at him again from about 40 yards, he was still there!  Finally I dropped my pack and eased forward, now in full view if he looked behind him.  He was bedded on a bench looking down the slope, and the wind was strong.  I got to 30 yards pretty easily and then began sliding on my butt down the slope, closer and closer.  I wanted to be so close that the shot would be high percentage, as there was certainly no time for tracking a wounded buck here.  At 20 yards, my boot squeaked and he turned his head to the left - oh no!  He relaxed and then I made another noise with a twig under my leg.  Again he turned his head and I knew it would be over if he just looked my way.  Then I decided that if he relaxed and looked away, I would have to shoot from here.  After the longest 2 minutes of my life, he finally relaxed and looked away.  I slowly rose, drew and PICKED A SPOT, right behind the shoulder and the arrow was away......exactly to that same spot!  He jumped to his feet but immediately staggered. This is the bench he was on, at the left side of the photo.....

And here is my reward for a little persistance, as well as fervent prayers.  I would have returned home a happy man anyway, just experiencing Alaska after all these years of dreaming, but this Blessing sure was sweet.....

A beautiful 4x5 buck.  By now I only had an hour to get him into my pack before dark, and than I had over an hour's hike back to camp.  Somehow, I didn't mind!!!!!!

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2006, 11:30:00 AM »
Good going Jeff, that is a really NICE buck!

It's early in Alaska and I got up early just to see if you had posted yet--THANKS!!!!

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2006, 11:36:00 AM »
Jeff you amaze me...I've seen you do this too many times since I first met you, great job and way to stay with it.  What a great looking buck, you certainly earned it.  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©