INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Yet another western adventure (CO/AK/MT)  (Read 7024 times)

Offline Hornseeker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Yet another western adventure (CO/AK/MT)
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2006, 02:30:00 PM »
Good Stuff Jeff! Congrats on a great adventure!

Ernie

Offline PA Bones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2006, 02:59:00 PM »
Jeff,
Congratulations on a great buck.  The pictures are really awesome.  Those arrows look familiar.  Hope to see you this fall.
Bill

Offline 9 Mile Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2006, 03:08:00 PM »
Really great story thanks for sharing.
Andrew

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: October 01, 2006, 01:02:00 AM »
Jeff, Congrats on the buck. Blacktails on Kodiak is a hunt i would like to make one of these days. Yep season opened this morning. I had to work last night so no morning hunt for me. The evening hunt wasn't much better. It was nice to get in the woods again.
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Hornseeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2006, 10:24:00 AM »
Did you go to Montana???  :0)

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: October 02, 2006, 10:26:00 AM »
Wow!!

Offline Jeff Sample

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: October 02, 2006, 10:54:00 AM »
Jeff,

Is that a hole in that buck's neck?
Jeff
Give me oysters and beer, for dinner every day of the year and I'll feel fine – Jimmy Buffett

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: October 02, 2006, 11:06:00 AM »
Way to go Jeff!  Your stories of the hunt are mesmerizing, but it's even sweeter when we taste the success with you!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: October 02, 2006, 11:46:00 AM »
I'm back!  Jeff is correct, I barely noticed it when butchering the deer, but during the caping process the next day while waiting for the plane, we realized that this was the same buck that Terry hit on Thursday!  Not a lucky buck, I guess.

We all got back to Kodiak by the afternoon, checked into a nice hotel and hit the showers for the first time in 9 days.  After packaging and mailing home some gear, we headed out for a big meal of Halibut and all the trimmings.....

The rest of the gang was going to take it easy the next day and explore Kodiak Island, but I had a 6:00 am flight to Anchorage, where I planned to do some exploring of my own in a rental car, since my next flight wasn't until midnight.  I headed south, per the recommendations of Tradganger "John from Alaska", into the Chugach NF.....

The views were super as I headed south and then east along the Kenai peninsula.....

Eventually I made it to Cook Inlet and had a nice lunch.  Then I headed back and took some old gravel roads to hopefully see some animals.  I didn't see a lot of animals, but I did see a black bear crossing a snow patch, some caribou, and finally, 2 dall sheep way up on a ridge - really 2 white specks but definitely sheep.  Here is another great looking area...

This area was great and I hated to leave.  One area was neat because I could see salmon headed up a big stream, while pieces of a glacier floated downstream.  I can't wait to return to Alaska.

On to Montana.......
"He has also made me as a select arrow, He has hidden me in His quiver." - Isaiah 49:2

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: October 02, 2006, 12:10:00 PM »
Correction, I headed WEST along the Kenai peninsula.  My overnight flight wasn't restful at all, but it was interesting to listen to the hunting stories as many of the passengers were hunters.  And I knew somebody on the SLC to Bozeman flight so that flight was more interesting.

Anyway, the first thing I did in Bozeman was find a taxidermist and have him
examine the "Maximun effort" buck's cape - he pronounced it good and I
had him freeze it and the skull until I returned.  I drove west to the
mountains along the ID/MT border and organized my gear.  I was happy to
see a frosting of snow on the mountain peaks, and I finally headed up
the trailhead in the late afternoon.  I'm not sure if the problem was
the 50# pack or the jetlag, but I only made it a mile before the sun set
and I realized I wouldn't make it in about 3 miles to the planned
camping spot.  I was pleased to hear some bugles as I made dinner (MH
spagetti - yum!) even though they came from the Idaho side.  This area
was the playground of my two Bowsite buddies, BB (aka Bill Allard from
Utah - probably the best bowhunter I know personnaly) and Hornseeker (aka Ernie McKenzie) from Montana; I appreciated
that they were sharing such a good spot.  The area consisted of two
major drainages just north of the continental divide, one draining to
the east while the other drained to the west, where they joined and
flowed north.  My buddies highly recommended the east-draining area so I
headed there first.  I encountered 2 backpack hunters on the second day,
after I had slept in to midmorning.  They reported good elk activity but
they were headed out.  I set up camp...

and began exploring, but ran into a
guide and his 2 hunters on horses.  They reported that the weekend's
snow had quieted the elk activity, and indeed I didn't see an elk that
whole day or even the next day.  I headed up towards the top of the mountain - definitely some bear in the area.....

I got a little carried away with my
exploring but couldn't help myself - the area was beautiful.......

but I ended up spending the night curled up next to a log in......um.....well.....Idaho!
"He has also made me as a select arrow, He has hidden me in His quiver." - Isaiah 49:2

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: October 02, 2006, 12:44:00 PM »
I was now using my 61# limbs on the Brackenbury and 800 grain hickory shafts, again tipped with Snuffers but at 145 grains.

While on my little walk about, I bumped into a big bull moose right at dark - he had the right-of-way and knew it, so I
went around him!  This area held some moose, like these ones I saw later....

Oh well, it only took 3 hours to get back to Montana and I wanted to see some of Idaho anyway!  So after 3 days in Montana, I
was wondering where the elk were.....I did walk out to the truck because
I needed more food and had promised to call home on Wednesday.  I had to
drive out, closer to town before getting reception, and it was obvious
that my wife and kids were really missing me.  I promised to call again
on Saturday night.  

I woke on the fourth morning to 5-6 inches of snow with more falling,
and bugling nearby!  I hurried breakfast and took off after the noisy
bull elk.  By noon I had followed the elk up the ridge, getting right in
among a small herd of 2 small bulls (one a 2x2 w/o brow tines and one a
3x3 with brow tines, but I couldn't get closer than 30 yards with the
wet crunchy snow), several cows and calves.  That was fun, as I love hunting in snow.....

I finally could see the loud mouth bull that bugled so much on the opposite ridge,
a nice 5x5 that was being pestered by a bigger 6x6.  I wanted to go after them but the wind was bad and they were a good 6 miles from the
truck!  After lunch some nasty thunderstorms with high winds moved in and I went back to camp, making a hot lunch and reading my Bible.  A
bull bugled slose to camp about an hour before dark, so I went out for him and had a close encounter.  I set up several times and cow called.  Finally I bugled and he squealed in response, only 100 yards away.  I
moved forward a few yards, set up behind a pine tree and got ready.  I
heard branches breaking and then........nothing!  I waited until dark
but I think the swirling winds betrayed me.

That night the winds picked up and were about 30-40 mph in the morning of my fifth day. Breakfast was hot coco and a cookie, again...

I finally decided to pack out to the truck and try the other drainage - a decision that I should have made sooner, because after a hot lunch at the truck...

I began walking to the east and encountered a herd of 15 elk at 3:00 pm, feeding on the sage and into some aspens right on the ID/MT line.  I watched them for an hour, until they disappeared into Montana.  I headed after them, eyeing the fat cows that were legal with my tag.  I still hadn't seen a mule deer buck yet, and had decided that any legal elk would be fine with me.  I didn't realize that there were other elk present, and being focused on the elk at the top of the ridge, blundered right into another group of 15 elk.
I had some cows at about 25 yards briefly in the initial confusion, but wasn't comfortable with the shot.  They began moving out and I bugled at
the 4x4 bull, getting him to respond and causing the herd to think that another bull was the cause of the commotion.  I followed closely and was beginning to think I would get a shot, when finally they saw me clearly and busted out of there and into Montana.  I headed up to the high point of the ridge and glassed the big drainage, seeing elk scattered
throughout the area.  What a view....

This was where I'd hunt tomorrow, which would be
my last day here because I had decided that I needed to be home before my older daughter's birthday on Thursday, 9/28.  With 2 days of driving from Montana and a hope to hunt antelope and mule deer in eastern Montana, I needed to get out of these mountains by the night of the
sixth day!  The north wind was fierce but I hoped it would blow out
overnight.

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: October 02, 2006, 01:37:00 PM »
I had a hard time going to sleep that night, with all those mixed feelings keeping me awake.  I was really missing my wife and kids.  I had already missed my son's birthday, and his first home run in baseball.  Both daughters had asked how soon I'd be home, and my wife let me know that the basement had flooded, the mower was broken and that she needed some help.  

Then my selfish side reminded me that I might not get back to Montana soon, that I had found the elk and they were active, that I had permission to hunt a 5000 acre ranch on the Mussleshell River in eastern Montana, and my tags for antelope and deer were unfilled.
Although I didn't HAVE to report to work until October 2, I could tell that it was almost time to head home.  I had tried to include too much hunting (never thought I'd say that) and I was wearing down.

Sleep finally came and I easily awoke at 4:00 am and peered out to a brilliant, starlight sky and no wind!  I could easily see the full Milky Way, Big and Small Dippers and even several satellites crossing the sky.  I ate a quick breakfast, filled my backpack and headed east for the 90 minute walk to the high point of the ridge.  If I was going to fill my elk tag, I had to do it today.  

Initially I was expecting lots of
bugling at dawn, but I didn't see but 2 cows way off in the distance and didn't get a response to my bugle until the sun rose and it was from Idaho.  I bugled again 5 minutes later and he was hot and coming fast.  I scrambled some and left those darn binos behind.  The big bull and several cows came blasting close by and into Montana.  It was then that I reached for the binos - gone!  I had to spend the next
15 minutes hunting binos instead of the bull elk that was chasing a cow, screaming and snorting.  Yes, I am pathetic but I found them and was off
after the bull!  So began my most exciting day of elk hunting ever.  On the way after the first bull, a satellite bull screamed at me and then
responded to my cow calls.  He was on a open sage covered hill and I cut the distance in half, cow calling.  His next bugle was closer and I got ready behind a pine tree.  Then I saw his BIG 5x6 antlers floating over a pine tree only 20 yards away - he stopped, the antlers swiveled left and right, time stood still as I willed him to take 2 steps forward and
expose his chest.......but instead he raised nis noes, inhaled deeply and whirled away from my scent.  I slowed him down with cow calls
and covered his bark with a bugle, but the game was over for he and I.

Then I moved after the first bull, who was in the pines with the cows.  I slowly approached and soon caught glimpses of the cows and eventually him.  I got to within 40 yards of the bull, before 2 hunters behind me began calling and bugling - this got the elk alert and moving and I following this good sounding bull all morning, along with several satellite bulls
that I'd see and try for occaisonally.  I love this game...

The highlight of the day came after lunch, after a lull in activity.  I was laying on my back, enjoying the view.....

and resting some.....

when the I bugled and the big bull finally answered several hundred yards away, followed by one and then another bull.  I closed in and my next bugle was answered first by the big bull, within 50 yards, followed by another big-sounding bull 100 yards to my front, and then another bull who only chuckled (at me???) behind me.  I could hear all 3 bulls walking and breaking brush as they converged on me, and fully expected a shot.......I could even
hear the big bull breathing, they were so close.....but nothing happened and I decided to wait them out.  Somehow the magic spell broke and they all drifted away.  It was late now and I had about 2 hours walking back to the truck, so I headed out, seeing 2 moose and a pine martin chasing a squirrel around and around a tree, along the way.  

What a day, I was considering staying another day but killing an elk in that drainage meant a full day or more of packing.  Instead I took one last look......

and headed out of the mountains.  The aspens were turning golden....

I finally got cell phone reception and after talking to my family, decided that I had had my fun and needed to get home, instead of spending several more days antelope and deer hunting.  I was relieved to know that I'd be holding them tight in my arms in two days.  Two days of hard driving, but I enjoyed seeing the land change from the mountains of Montana, to the rolling plains, to the fields of the midwest, and finally into the hills of the Carolinas.

What fun I had.  I love Montana.  Wish I had moved to the second drainage sooner.  I called the rancher friend and cancelled my hunt there, but we talked about bringing my son, who will turn 12 next September, back out to Montana in 2007.  The new longbow in my truck, specially made by a Tradganger from Washington for the rancher's sons, will be mailed in time for Christmas.  I can't wait to return to Montana!

I hope you all enjoyed the photos and stories.
Jeff

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: October 02, 2006, 01:38:00 PM »
Jeff awesome story and pictures!!! You mentioned BB ... your photos and stories remind me of some fo the incredible ones that BB has done in the past!!! Keep um comin!!! Dan
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: October 02, 2006, 01:43:00 PM »
Wow Jeff! I guess I was posting at the same time you were finishing up your story!!! Great job!!! I was really pulling for you to make it happen on a last minute bull. Of course it just gives a guy something to look forward to next time!!! Thanks for sharing with us!  Dan
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: October 02, 2006, 03:16:00 PM »
Gosh what an adventure. Can't wait to hear some of these stories around a campfire in person come November.   ;)
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Brian Halbleib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: October 02, 2006, 05:55:00 PM »
WOW! What a trip. Thank you for sharing.

-Brian
 www.bowyersjournal.com

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: October 02, 2006, 07:31:00 PM »
Great pictures and stories Jeff. I'd add some more photos if I only knew how. I have several of you that would fit in nicely with your journal notes. Great buck from AK and I would like to blame the high wind and steep angle for my errant shot, but can honestly only chalk it up to not picking a spot. The buck was in fine shape and it is a testament to your stalking ability because I'm sure he was on high alert from the lesson given the evening before. Thanks again for a great time.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: October 02, 2006, 08:01:00 PM »
Awesome hunt Jeff...thanks!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline kojac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: October 02, 2006, 10:45:00 PM »
great job jeff, This was a great adventure to read I can only imagine what it was like to live it!!

thanks for shareing,
Brian

"Hunting...is about the Sights, Sounds, Smells, and  the Hunted...All the hunter has to do is show up"

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: October 02, 2006, 10:58:00 PM »
Thank you for sharing the adventure!
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©