3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Way West...a bowhunting journey.  (Read 42114 times)

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Way West...a bowhunting journey.
« Reply #80 on: August 12, 2006, 07:43:00 PM »
Since antelope hunting on foot is a nap of the earth kind of sport you get lots of chances to study the pretty stuff.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline sticbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: August 12, 2006, 08:48:00 PM »
Charlie as hot as it is here I feel like jumping in that pond...I can just see me sitting there glassing with you...have fun the pictures are great...
         Scott

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: August 12, 2006, 09:42:00 PM »
Beautiful guys...looking forward to a lot more!!!!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: August 12, 2006, 10:59:00 PM »
Is it just me or has Charlie turned over a new leaf?   Daily updates, pictures every night.  I'm loving it!

Great looking photo's.  The colors are so vivid when your up close that its amazing that it can look so barren from a distance.  The west has its own beauty that is unmatched in a lot of ways.

I don't recognize the bow you are shooting (other than the Howard).  If you get a chance let us know a little bit about the bows in the picture.  That new recurve sure looks nice at full draw.

Have fun and thanks for taking us along.

Chris
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: August 12, 2006, 11:06:00 PM »
Almost like being there!
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: August 12, 2006, 11:40:00 PM »
Chris, I think the big guy has got so much going on out there, he is affraid he will forget something if he drags it out.   :bigsmyl:
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2006, 11:50:00 PM »
Wow! You nailed it Chad. I'm trying to keep up with everything that's going on. Seems I'm going full steam from daylight until dark... with little breaks to get on line here.

Chris... before long we'll get to share of a little of this rocky mountain magic.

Scott... you know what kind of weather I left at home. I don't miss it.

Got up this morning after sleeping all night under a down sleeping bag and a comforter. Standing on the porch glassing antelope at first light in my T-shirt, the thermometer read 35 degrees. Nipply out for sure!

Day time temps are hitting 85 and it's pretty warm since we are so close to the sun and the thin air and all. (8000 ft. elev.)

Covered a couple of miles of ranch today that was new to me. Antelope and more antelope.

Going way off down the creek in the morning to check out more country. With each passing day I grow a little more in harmony with the country and the animals. By the time season is open I should be ready.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Olebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: August 13, 2006, 01:10:00 PM »
"With each passing day I grow a little more in harmony with the country and the animals."

Way to go Charlie!  You really said a bunch there in that sentence....
For me, that getting in harmony always takes several days, and includes the altitude change, and getting my (critter eyes) tuned up.
Thanks for the pictures and stories.
Good luck bud!    Olebow

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: August 13, 2006, 04:21:00 PM »
Chris... that bow is my old Sky Hawk T.D. Awesome bow!! Shootin Carbonwood 4000's with Magnus I broadheads w/bleeder. They scale right at 625 gr. and are a perfect match for my 65# Hawk.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: August 13, 2006, 04:29:00 PM »
Looks like a great time being had. Question: on working with the ghillysuit did you fond that cutting the lengths of fabric on the inside of your bowarm helps with clearness?

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: August 13, 2006, 05:05:00 PM »
Sal... Vance and I found that we had to cut very little to get clearance. 2-3 pieces on the chest/upper bicep and a couple from the hat.
They're shootin clean even in a wind and I can tell you the wind has been blowing.

Not sure I'm going to use the mask. More likely that I'll use some burnt cork on my face... can't stand masks of any kind.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: August 13, 2006, 05:53:00 PM »
Tanks Charlie, & good luck to both on the hunt, can't wait to see more pic's...

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: August 14, 2006, 12:06:00 AM »
OK Mr. Lamb, Where are our daily pics? I came into work tonight ecpecting some good pics and now nuthin. Now what am I supposed to do, actualy work? That just ain't right!  :D
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: August 14, 2006, 12:19:00 AM »
Sorry bout that Chad! Today was pretty slow. I did help Vance get his truck out of a bog.
Went up high to smell the pines and of course more exploring of the ranch.

I've located at least two different spots which seem to be natural funnels for the antelope as they move around the ranch.

We have a game camera there and will see what's come by in the last two days. To tell you the truth, it could have pics of about anything. Can't wait to see the pics and will put some up here.

Going out to bring in the camera in the morning.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: August 14, 2006, 02:14:00 AM »
Can't wait to hear what kind of pics you got.
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: August 14, 2006, 07:48:00 AM »
Setting up that Game Cam is a lot like setting a trap and sitting in anticipation of going to check it. It could have anything. Whoooooooo, maybe a grizzly bear, maybe a biiig ol' elk, maybe just a little bunny. Can't wait to see thought!!!!!!!Call me this AM please. Missed you guys last night. Sheep counting muffled the phone ringer. CK

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: August 14, 2006, 08:21:00 AM »
Chris the 2 longbows are Vance's: the left one is a G&L Mantis Takedown, gaboon ebony and fiddle back maple riser, sassafrass core fiddle back maple belly/back limbs,60", 65# @ 28"; the right one is a Super Shrew samurai, 58", 58# @ 27". I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss them....but they look healthy and happy in their new home   :readit:  .

Ghillie is lookin good Vance, if it wasn't 100 degrees here that might work me    :knothead:

Great pics Charlie. I've been through that area once and you are exactly right...it looks flat and uniform....until you start walking through it.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: August 14, 2006, 10:24:00 AM »
Chris.... Yep JC's SPOT ON on what he said about my two bows, Ya see he was unable to make the hunt, so he sent out two of his most trusted meat makers to go in his place.

We should be able to fill in a bit more today, my clients have left and no new ones in the near future (I hope). Charlie is WELL fed up now so he has the extra needed fuel to push forward.

Now all that's needed is to find him this morning get some coffee in him so he's focused     :scared:        :scared:    takes time don't ya know

Joe... Went out this morning to look at the BAD BOYS and they were no where to be found    :scared:        :scared:     Lam"O" finally suggested we look "IN" the house    :bigsmyl:    

Yep there they was under the lectrik blanket and didn't want to come out    "[nope]"    

Darn sothern raised chillens.

Please stay tuned for more...........vance

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: August 14, 2006, 10:45:00 AM »
Here's another "blast from the past" picture. Just one of a bunch of doe antelope taken by stalking over the years.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Bpaul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: August 14, 2006, 11:39:00 AM »
Just tagging this so I can get emails and not miss anything :-))

Thanks for sharing your exploits, great stuff.
Except during the nine months before he draws his first breath, no man manages his affairs as well as a tree does.  
          -George Bernard Shaw

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©