INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Georgia archery opener, a hunt with JC. (updated with pics)  (Read 4192 times)

Offline Brian Halbleib

• Trad Bowhunter
Georgia archery opener, a hunt with JC. (updated with pics)
« on: September 12, 2006, 04:49:00 PM »
Got in late last night from a wonderful bowhunting adventure in the hills of northern Georgia with one of the finest men I have the privilege of calling a friend. I was a guest at the homestead of JC for the opener of the Georgia archery season. JC donated this hunt for the St Jude Auction held right here on TradGang every spring and I was the lucky high bidder.

I've stayed in some decent hunting camps over the years but the lodging on this trip was almost too much to believe. JC and his beautiful wife Kim built their dream home, an unbelievable log home which they just finished in May of this year, on one of the prettiest chunks of land I've seen in a while. Their horses enjoyed strolling around the property while their wonderful sons, Chase and Conner, had a good time playing outside in this picturesque setting.

The inside of the log home was every bit as cozy as the striking landscape outside. I slept on one of the most comfortable beds I've ever laid on while the cool mountain air came through the screen and danced down from the ceiling fan. The beautiful kitchen was always filled with some of Kim's fine cooking and was always looked forward to after a few hours afield. I've experienced southern hospitality before but let me tell you, Kim and JC set the bar for all others to be compared in the future.

I guess I made a mistake above when I called JC a friend, he and his family made me feel more like a family member than a friend. So, many thanks to the Coots Family for opening up their home and their busy schedule to this appreciative Yankee.

Oh, yeah, we hunted hard as heck and yes there will be more stories and pictures to come...

-Brian
 www.bowyersjournal.com

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Georgia archery opener, a hunt with JC. (updated with pics)
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 05:07:00 PM »
YEAH, we're kind of partial to Kim & JC in this part of the country.  

Now if someone would just teach te boy how to shoot a bow....
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 09:11:00 PM »
:campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 12:13:00 AM »
Brian, I got to spen some time with JC in TX (not nearly long enough).. He is on heck of a guy and i'm proud to call him a friend. I hope we get to spend some time in the woods together again soon.
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 06:36:00 AM »
You just described the JC I know! Great guy! CK

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 07:43:00 AM »
Humbled by your kind words gentlemen. My life is richer and fuller from knowing you...looking forward to our many hunts together in the future.

Brian, the pleasure was all ours. Not only did I enjoy hunting with you, I really enjoyed the time we got to spend talking about life in general. Yes, you can certainly consider yourself part of our extended family. We look forward to your return, and maybe with your family next time.

It was a tough hunt, but very rewarding, mainly for the company it was shared with. I have never seen the animals so keyed to the moon as this past weekend. Brian did get some good pics though...and I'll throw in a few as he lays out the story.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline RayMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 07:48:00 AM »

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 10:24:00 AM »
:campfire:    :archer:

Offline Mudfeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 09:02:00 PM »
I'll tell you a good one that happened just yesterday.

My buddy RC (Carter) and I were huntin and we started talking about this week in Nov when he camps at Horse Creek. He mentioned that JC had said he might make it down for the weekend. In skepitacal fashion I said.......

Carter...You don't really want to spend time with JC  :campfire:
"Dad, you and me are bow shooting huntin buddies OK?"

My son Kasey- age 5...Jan 8, 2007

Keith Bruner

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2006, 09:13:00 PM »
Alright already! Get to telling the story fellas!
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2006, 10:23:00 PM »
Mud...if I can get down that way that weekend...I'll be there. Maybe Joe and I can ride together.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2006, 12:00:00 PM »
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline herb haines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2006, 02:58:00 PM »
yup JC is a FRIEND !!! been thinking strongly of hunting Ga in 2008 think i need to see some GA mountians --- herb
"Heaven is just over the next ridge......"

Hello Darlin'

Offline Miss Kim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2006, 04:27:00 PM »
Brian,
You are welcome anytime. What an easy house guest you were.....easy to feed and keep happy. We really enjoyed getting to know you and just simply sitting around talking. I know your girls were happy to have you back and have probably been keeping you busy. Next time you will have to bring the family. We enjoy sharing what God has blessed us with. What a blessing to share it with you.

Thanks for overlooking the boxes still not unpacked and the lack of landscaping! This place is still a work in progress but we are loving it. So much to do but we want to enjoy life at the same time. It's hunting season so that means that I can't have any "honey do" lists worked on until after season. You guys know how that is!

The guys here are ready for a story....  :D  
I won't spoil the fun....
I will say that it was wonderful to see Brian relaxing on the front pourch almost unwilling to go pack to leave on that last afternoon. That's when you know someone is relaxed and content. Either that or he was dreading the airport hassles! They hunted alot, but at the same time we had lots of time just sitting around in comfortable clothes and talking about life. What a great weekend........

Thanks Brian for bidding on our hunt. The children were blessed and so were we....you are now considered part of the Coots extended family.

Offline Miss Kim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2006, 04:28:00 PM »
You are welcome anytime Herb! Some fresh Georgia mountain air might be just what you need.  :D

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2006, 04:32:00 PM »
Sounds great! Now we need some pictures!!!...lol

(Still looking up those knife details JC)

al
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline Miss Kim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2006, 04:34:00 PM »
Ooops....I need to check my spelling before I hit send! I am trying to multi-task......not very well I see......   "[dead]"

Offline Brian Halbleib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2006, 06:57:00 PM »
Geez, sorry to drag this one out folks, you take a few days off and the work piles up real fast. Just getting caught up. OK, I promise to get on with the story...right after dinner with the family...

Thanks again Kim...you got it right the first time as to why I didn't want to get packing that last afternoon.

-Brian
 www.bowyersjournal.com

Offline Brian Halbleib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2006, 10:43:00 PM »
As mentioned earlier, it all started with me being the high bidder on the the hunt JC and Kim were kind enough to donate to raise money for St Jude. I was really excited because I usually have to wait until the last weekend of September or the first week of October for deer archery season to open up here every year.

Time seems to fly by these days and before I knew it, I was off to Georgia. Here's a few pics of the incredible lodging I was telling you about:

Offline Brian Halbleib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2006, 11:09:00 PM »
My plane was delayed about 45 minutes into Atlanta and by the time we made the 2 hour jaunt back to JC's place and picked up my license, I was pretty much wiped out and ready for bed. Of course it was closing in on midnight and you know opening day comes early.

Up around 5 AM, burning adrenaline and showing no signs of only getting a few hours sleep. Did I mention the comfortable bed? WOW. Anyhow, JC had some stands already scouted and set up for us to hunt. After a quick shower, it was time to get into my hunting gear and get down to serious business. I grabbed a piece of fruit for breakfast and an energy bar and bottle of water for the road. We headed out back through JC's horse pasture and slipped silently into the woods. I was a little concerned about the bright moon but we would be ready for the deer, no matter what time they decided to show up.

JC's son, Chase, would be joining us with a bow in hand this morning and I was excited for him as I mentally recalled those times years ago when I was that size and walking out into the woods with my Dad on all those opening mornings we shared.

They walked with me to my stand location then we parted with handshakes and well wishes as they headed to theirs. I got settled into the comfortable stand and just sat for a while, inhaling the clean, dark air and my heart beat in anticipation for another opening day.

The sun rose and the black and gray forms turned into vibrant colors with each step the sun took into the morning sky. I was quite a ways from my house but, as usual, I felt like I was home in this setting as the opening morning played out in front of me as they have since I can remember.

The moon proved a factor and I ended the morning watch with no deer sightings. I was surprised at how similar this woodlot looked to many of the ones I'm used to back home. The amount of white oak trees was unreal and they were beginning to drop a few morsels here and there for the woodlot critters. There were a few squirrels fighting and gathering them but no deer responded to the sweet sounds of oak seeds tapping on the forest floor.

Here's a look from the stand to my right.

There are three drainages that come together in front of me around 15-20 yards away. JC had done his homework. The wind was perfect and this was a likely spot for a close encouter of the white tail kind. Plenty of cover and plenty of shooting lanes, the perfect combination.

-Brian
 www.bowyersjournal.com

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©