INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Li'l Ol' Man, Li'l Ol' Deer  (Read 8241 times)

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Li'l Ol' Man, Li'l Ol' Deer
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2006, 08:57:00 AM »
LETS GO BERNIE! NUFF FOOLING AROUND DANG NABIT!<><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2006, 09:00:00 AM »
LOL - not for long - I can't keep it quiet like that.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Again I saw Deer moving through the thick brush and trees to my left front. About the same time the Spikehorn decided to go join them, I realized there appeared to be at least three more Deer. Again they started moving across my front at an angle towards the Golf Course but the Spike must have conveyed something to them as they all changed course towards my shooting area. He swung around behind them to follow. As they moved into the clear and near-clear areas dirctly in front of me, I could see there were actually six Deer, counting him. Yes, Sir, for the next 25 minutes I had six deer in front of me milling around. Twelve eyeballs, and that pretty Spikehorn acting like the biggest buck in the woods, watching over his herd of two medium sized doe and three fawns - one with very faint spots now. That rascally Spikehorn was stil, doing his best to fake out whatever that was at the base of my tree, with all the maneuvers in his young book. The fawns were less skittish but also were staying pretty darned alert, what with him setting the mood. While those four gave me chance after chance, the two doe just plan never did give me a shot. they would come in from the perimeter and as soon as he or a fawn would move they'd dodge back out - first one and then the other. Finally, after the twenty five minutes of exquisite pain, I took stock. I'd enjoyed about as much of this as my poor ol' heart could stand. It couldn't last forever, no matter how much I had settled into enjoying the game. Again, it is last night of bow season, night before Full Moon, I am on the ground, scoreless, and being watched by all these deer without being busted yet, and I don't want to get busted, perhaps resulting in no shot and screaming deer running off in fright over this site. It didn't take me long to decide that I was going to take the next opportunity that wasn't on the Spike or the Fading Spots Fawn. One of the fawns looked good for it, so I started working my bow and knocked arrow up and into place, a little at a time, while watching the spike looking up at  me and then down at the grond. Once in position I split vision between the Spike and the Fawn while sneaking in a full draw. Thankfully I remembered to focus full attention at the last minute on the spot I'd already picked on the closest fawn. The arrow was away and almost imediatly the Pumpkin-whop sound of a solid hit at 11 yards told its tale. Miraculously, all five of the other Deer bolted to the right front into the thick, and my prize went to the left. Not a sound out of any of them - that's gotta be good for the site. I could see my 1913, tipped with the incredible Silver Flame, hardly having been put to any task, stuck in the dirt right in line with where I had pictured on the off side of the fawn. I heard a little thump to the left where the hit deer had run - but even at that there was still that one second when you say, "I couldn't have shot under her!" I moved away from the tree and out into the clear road, As I splashed across the puddle I could see the reassurance of the blood soaking the fletching and shaft. All was right in my world. I repeated my usual silent (most of the time), "Thank you, Lord." and retrieved my arrow. While putting the blood soaked arrow back in my bow quiver, I looked over where the hit Deer had run. At that moment it crossed my mind, "If that isn't a log there, that could very well be my Deer". I angled towards the suspect lighter hump but hadn't covered half of the scant 20 yards before it was apparent it was indeed not a log. "Thank you - again, Lord."

It was still daylight at 6:15 as I grabbed the small Deer's legs and dragged it out of there as quickly and with as little disturbance as possible. What a special hunt for this ol' hoss!
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2006, 09:10:00 AM »
YEA BABY...HOW COOL IS THAT? Bernie I'm so happy for you. Way to go! We need a dancing emoticon.

YAHOOOO!!!!!!!!

:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2006, 09:11:00 AM »
:bigsmyl:   let me do it again   :bigsmyl:   and again   :bigsmyl:   and one more time   :bigsmyl:  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm sending out a really big cyber high-five!!!! Atta boy Bern!!! I knew it was gonna happen!!! Congrats Bud! CK

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2006, 09:11:00 AM »
:bigsmyl:   let me do it again   :bigsmyl:   and again   :bigsmyl:   and one more time   :bigsmyl:  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm sending out a really big cyber high-five!!!! Atta boy Bern!!! I knew it was gonna happen!!! Congrats Bud! CK

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2006, 09:18:00 AM »
I second that Curtis   :bigsmyl:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2006, 09:27:00 AM »
Bernie you are a great story teller that's for sure. Great job all the way around. Now send it to TBM.<><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2006, 09:35:00 AM »
Congrats, Bernie. That's one heck of a fine shot!

Offline southernarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2006, 09:35:00 AM »
Way to go Bernie!!!!!!!!!That's some mighty fine table fare,and an awesome story!!!!Congratulations!
"We do this for fun, but we aren't playing"

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2006, 09:40:00 AM »
I bet you plumb popped all your buttons, Bernie!
What a great hunt, it has everything a hunt should have.Nothing like unsettled weather to bring the deer out, and nothing in the world like watching truly wild critters that close from the ground. Congratulations on keeping it all together for that perfect shot. I'm sure that when you got home, there were some deeply proud feelings in your heart as you wiped down your bow, (and found a place for your arrow that wouldn't gross out Rose).

Killdeer  :wavey:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline BaldingEagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2006, 10:01:00 AM »
congratulations!
"It is the difficulties of archery that make it so interesting to true archers."
Archery-Badminton Library

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2006, 10:39:00 AM »
You folks responses make it all the better , friends. Frank, a few folks tell me some of my stories should be "sent in" but somehow they never wind up getting there. I guess because I never had a magazine rep tell me that - LOL.  Thanks anyway though, it still makes me feel good.

Killie, I do save some of my "Firsts" arrows but this time the arrow, fletchings, and Silver flame cleaned up so quick and purty that it's already back in my bow quiver this AM - but I did pop all my buttons -   "[laffsmyl]"  .
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2006, 10:39:00 AM »
Good on you, Bernie, sir!  I hope you have great memories with every tasty fork of sweet meat!!!    :wavey:
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Big Dave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2006, 11:01:00 AM »
:D    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :D  Congrats.
Live today like you'll meet God tommorow (you might)

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2006, 11:12:00 AM »
Nice job Bernie....  :thumbsup:  
Now you can have some Back Strap with your Turkey soup....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2006, 11:18:00 AM »
Bernie!!!! The sprit of the bow was with you sir! congrats!!!!! marco#78
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2006, 12:02:00 PM »
Way to go Bernie!!! From the ground and 20 yard recovery - well done sir. Loved the story of the hunt too, well told.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2006, 01:28:00 PM »
thats awesome  Bernie cool pics good to see you having fun. and they say its the size that counts. lol  :D    :thumbsup:  i dont think so.
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2006, 01:44:00 PM »
Excellant, Bernie...and a great shot. Congratulations!!!     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline sgrogg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2006, 01:45:00 PM »
Congrats Bernie!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©