INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Possible P&Y ten point down!  (Read 4433 times)

Offline Jaz

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Possible P&Y ten point down!
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2006, 07:06:00 PM »
I know I'm not smiling. I was smiled out, but I'm not a big smiler anyhow.  After the kids go to bed I'll try to finish the story.  I believe the bigger pic is less than 600 pixels wide.  If it isn't I apologize and understand if it gets yanked.
Jaz

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2006, 07:17:00 PM »
Outstanding  :bigsmyl:  ...Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2006, 07:19:00 PM »
Picture is fine....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline wifishkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2006, 07:35:00 PM »
Id say 130s

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2006, 07:54:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  Can't wait to see them pics.
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline talvey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2006, 08:00:00 PM »
Awesome    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room.

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2006, 08:28:00 PM »
Yeah, I would say he is an easy 130-137"'s.  Very nice deer no matter what a tape measure says though.

Congrats,

Brian
Gen 27:3  "Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;"

In His service,
Brian Rice

TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Jaz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2006, 09:36:00 PM »
...shorly after 6 a doe and her fawns appear about a hundred yards in front of me.  They're the ones that I saw the first day, September 30.
I watched them feed in the field hoping they would work within range.
It must have been about 6:15 when I turned to look behind me.  I must have hard something or maybe just sensed it. Twenty yards away was a nice doe, but I couldn't shoot behind me. She worked her way through the brush towards the swamp.  I hoped she'd come to the field and give me a shot.
What I saw next blew my mind.  Following behind her was a beautiful buck.  I could see that he had good mass and tine length, then I saw that he had five perfect tines on each side. Good God!, I thought. Where did he come from?
The doe stepped out into the marsh grass and started to act like she was headed away from me.  The buck followed right behind.  He stopped at 25 yards and I briefly thought about trying to get off an awkward shot behind me, but luckily thought better of it.
They headed farther into the swamp and I thought it was over.  Oh, well I thought, I just saw a Pope and Young buck up close, that made the whole hunt worth it.  I'm gonna hold out for him this year, I was thinking.
Suddenly the doe did an abrupt left and headed for the field.  Her companion followed immediately.  As they worked their way the 25 yards to the field I was afraid they would smell my trail where I came in.  They didn't even stop as they crossed the trail I came in. On they came down the trail 5 yards to my right. I told myself to forget the rack now and concentrate on his chest.  Through the thick brush I looked for a shot.  I decided against a five yard shot through a hole in the brush, again that was a good move. Too steep, bad angle.
They were on a mission to get to the field,so I waited.  
The doe walked out into the field, barely hesitating.  Her suitor stopped with only his head and neck poking into the field.  I waited for the shot that I knew was coming.  He watched the doe for an eternity, at least it felt that way, then...he stepped into the field and slowly started to walk the edge, angling away to the right at fifteen yards. I found a shooting lane and drew my 52# Fedora Xcellerator.  I remember looking at a spot then briefly glancing up to make sure my top bow limb wouldn't hit a branch. Then
instinct took over.  My mind said "Now!"
The next thing I saw was those bright white high profile feathers on the ash shaft, spinning...
The arrow is in him!  Then the mind games...too far back? He turns to run and I can see that it's back but angling forward deep into the vitals.  Thank you, God! I say, probably out loud. He runs a 50 yard half circle into the field then slows to a trot..then a walk with a limp from the Magnus II buried in his offside leg.  Go down! Go down!
He falls onto his belly then tips onto his side.  His mighty chest heaves once and he is done.  Ten seconds at the most from when the broadhead struck till the time he died.
I thank God repeatedly then fill out my tag between fits of shakes in the tree, making sure to give him time, just in case.
The doe doesn't know what is goin on and just stares at his fallen form in the grass.  I climb down and she watched me till I get to the field edge, then bounds away.  
I can see the tall tines above the grass and work my way over to him.  I nock another arrow in case he gets up, but there is no need.
There is no ground shrinkage.  He is a beautiful buck anywhere, but a real brute for PA.
I didn't have a lot of confidence hunting this time of the year and the Harvest Moon was bright, but I went anyhow.  Now I truly believe that any time you can go hunting is a good time.  Take advatage of any time you have, you just never know what will happen.
I want to say thanks to Two Arrows for the Fedora he traded me. Awesome little bow!
I skinned the buck out for a lifesize mount.  I think that will do him some justice.
He would definetly make P&Y if I were to enter him, but I won't, just having the opportunity to take him is satisfaction enough.  But I do feel the score gives a good description of true size.  He grosses right around 135 or so.
Thanks for listening everyone.  Good luck in the woods. God Bless you all!
Jaz

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2006, 09:40:00 PM »
Good story and pics. Yes I would say high 130s. Congrats on a great buck!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2006, 10:17:00 PM »
Congratulations, and thanks for the good story!  NICE buck!

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2006, 10:40:00 PM »
:bigsmyl:     :thumbsup:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2006, 10:42:00 PM »
There's no "possible" about it. Congrats again!

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2006, 07:08:00 AM »
Great story and great buck.

I had to chuckle when you were saying "go down, go down" cause I say that too. I guess a lot of us do.LOL  Anyhow congrats again on an awesome hunt, holding it together and not making a stupid shot, and making a good shot when you needed to. A well deserved trophy.

:thumbsup:    :notworthy:
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2006, 07:15:00 AM »
Great job Eric, congratulations!  :thumbsup:

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2006, 08:22:00 AM »
Nice deer Way to go!
Got wood? - Tom

Offline RayMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2006, 08:29:00 AM »
Let me offer my congrads also, what a great buck!

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2006, 08:41:00 AM »
Sweet Man!  He's a bute for sure.

Offline GAstikbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2006, 09:44:00 AM »
Congrats, thanks for the sharing the story and the pics, smiled the whole time reading it!! Nothing like a clean shot and kill and seeing the deer go down what ever the size!

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2006, 10:11:00 AM »
Nice deer, nice shootin, nice story....yer battin a thousand!
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Dustin Waters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2006, 01:15:00 PM »
Oh yeah theres a Pope and Young deer...
Congratulations.  Wish I could have been as succesful on my first weekend of hunting... Friday night I was sitting in a finger that splits a bean field from a corn field and runs away from a ridge that comes down out of the woods... Seemed like a perfect spot to pick off a doe as she tried to make her way out to the middle of the field.  Sure as planned I heard some deer coming down the hill and out stepped a decent doe.  She walked right where I wanted her.  I pulled back hit anchor and watched the arrow zip right over her back.  I guess charma finally got me.  That morning a good friend shot over a doe at 15 yards.  I razzed him pretty good over breakfast and even did my best impersonations while out stump shooting to pass time.  I guess it all caught up to me.  I realize now I was thinking dont shoot over her back and looking right at the top of her shape and not a spot.  Oh well first shot of the year hopefully there is more to come.  The best part of the whole thing was that I wasnt disappointed and actually smiled telling the story.  The yellow feathers were spinning and flying straight as ever.  Man it was neat... Oh well looking forward to the supposed snow fall to hit northern indiana this weekend.  Yeah it will probably be 75 and beach weather.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©