INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Exactly Two Weeks Later - And Second Deer!  (Read 5535 times)

Offline shawnee

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Exactly Two Weeks Later - And Second Deer!
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2006, 03:59:00 PM »
Great shot.  She'll be mighty fine eating, that's for sure.
Well, who'da thunk it!

Offline TXRED

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2006, 04:00:00 PM »
Way ta go,Bernie!Yer definately on a streak!  :thumbsup:
John
    Too young for Medicare,
    Too old for women to care

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2006, 04:37:00 PM »
congrats bernie awesome  deer  :thumbsup:    :archer:  jeff
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline John Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2006, 05:52:00 PM »
Bernie

Another succesful shot on a fine Doe! Great Job! All that practice sure has paid off! Keep it up.....or at least until you run out of deer tags(LOL) Fine equipment there too Bernie. Must be some luck in that ole quiver LOL  ;)

Online Sant-Ravenhill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2006, 06:19:00 PM »
You're on a serious roll! Congrats!

Offline Lee Viv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2006, 06:42:00 PM »
Good Job Bernie!  I'm going back out this coming Friday!  If I was closer I'd rub that bald head for some luck!  That's what people do to me, but it's kinda weird rubbing my own bald head for luck!

Expect deer steaks at Baltimore for Saturday dinner!

Lee

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2006, 07:28:00 PM »
Venison for All! - LOL

Oh yes, John said he gave me "full-permission" to "disclose" that I never could have attained these Deer kills without my Kinati Bow Quiver (by John Dill of course). (I do really like it, you know!)

Story follows.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2006, 07:30:00 PM »
Deer Two

After I got my "Li'l" Deer, I went on four hunts without any sightings except one Doe with a yearling that came in but offered no decent shot before taking leave. I'd also been on the ground for three of those hunts and was beginning to think maybe I'd spooked the area Deer worse than I'd thought. However at the same time it was bright moon times, and had turned warmer again, which didn't help. We had a couple of colder days when reports were good but I hadn't been able to get out during that period. I was planning to get out on Friday, exactly two weeks after my previous great night on the ground. It was supposed to turn cloudy in the afternoon, from an approaching cold front, but to my uneasiness it stayed sunny and warm that afternoon. With little confidence of seeing anything, I still decided two days of staying away had  to be enough. At least I would be out there, and I sure couldn't see any Deer in the living room. I also made up my mind to go back up the tree, in case they were watching the base of the tree without my realizing it. Besides, there was a pretty good breeze up above ground level so it would be a more pleasant sit up there, on this warm evening. As sundown neared and the seven or eight Squirrels that had been amusing me throughout the evening headed for bed, I was about to conclude it had been an uneventful sit as well.

"Thank you, Lord, for the Squirrels anyway," had just ran through my head when I realized there was a dark Deer moving in the brush, straight towards my front. So dead-on to me that I hadn't noticed it at first . I recall figuring it was probably one of the Spikehorns or Cowhorns I had been seeing from its decent size. As it got close to the woods-road edge I could see there was nothing on it's head but ears - a nice Doe. I shifted my eyes around for a yearling to bust me, since she obviously was not aware of me. Seeing none, and with her head now down towards the road's edge, probably hoping to find an acorn,  I carefully got to my feet. She moved out onto the road. Only twelve yards away now, and still more or less at ease. Well, as much as a Doe ever is at ease, but still head-on. Suddenly both of us heard a pretty good noise right at the base, and behind, my tree. She stared, suddenly more alert - I didn't dare move my head now but thought another decent sized Deer was going to come out onto the roadway right below me. I cast my eyes downward as much as I dared and a pair of fat Raccoons appeared, one either side of my tree. The Doe turned to my left, her movement bringing my eyes back up. I thought, "Rats, she is going back in the bushes because of those fat rascals." However she, almost in the same stride, turned back my way. A sidelong glance at the coons showed me they had blissfully, and thankfully, angled across the road to my right. Apparently they were not aware, or concerned, with either the Deer or me, and had plans of their own. In turn, the Doe was no longer bothered by them. She turned from broadside, but at my left, about 14 or 15 yards now, back towards the bushes edging the road. Again I thought she probably would leave the roadway now, when it suddenly dawned on me - "Quartering away, you fool!" It had been so long since I'd been offered that most desirable of shots, by a legal, decent sized Deer, that I almost slept it. I drew, picking my spot for a shot from an elevated point and the arrow was away. I heard the tell-tale, "Thunk" and  actually saw the arrow disappear in her ribs. I saw her hunch a little as she swiftly swung to her, and my, left. I watched as she ran about 20 yards to the left on the roadway (turned out to be 22 yards) before turning between a couple of twin-sized trees. As she melted into the thick brush across from my side of the road, it looked like she lowered her head and slowed down. I wasn't sure but that was the last impression I had. I could see the arrow stuck in the roadside at the angle I would expect from a solid hit and pass through. Still standing, my legs shaky now, I listened intently. For about five minutes, I heard virtually nothing that I could discern. Then a deer barked to my right front and I heard it head back away, towards the Golf Course. Since I hadn't heard any movement across my front I assumed it was probably a different Deer all together. In another five minutes, as I sank into the welcome support of my  Ol' Man's hammock seat, I heard a sudden thump from the bushes where I'd last seen the Doe. At the same time as I was wondering if she had stood there that long before falling, I heard another snort, and movement away from that spot. I was beginning to become worried and confused. I decided it was time to check things out a little - carefully. After descending my tree and quietly packing my treestand and gear I moved across to retrieve my blood soaked arrow. With flashlight and bow in hand, I scanned the roadbed as I went to the two trees where my doe had turned in. I wasn't moving very slowly, since I knew where she had gone, but I was not pleased that I didn't pick up any blood sign along the way. I looked pretty good between the two trees but still nothing. With sinking heart I moved into the woods a couple steps, and then flashed the light ahead of me where I had last seen her, and heard the thump and snort later. There, not three paces further ahead, lay my beautiful Doe. "Thank you, Lord. Thank you, so very much, Lord - even for the little scare." I'm not sure if it came out aloud or not but I do know my rather strange little silent thank you was followed by a nervous laugh. Apparently a third Deer, coming from the left, had stumbled onto the dead doe, stomped, snorted, and ran off.

I grabbed the two back legs and pulled my prize the short distance to the roadway, retrieved my gear, returned to pick up her legs again and dragged her a few yards. I realized I was sweating and called myself an old fool. Once I came to my senses LOL, I dropped the legs of this heavier Deer and headed to the truck to stow my gear and come back with my old but blessed cart, and without my Bug Away suit on. Happy days are here again.

:archer:

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2006, 07:40:00 PM »
Great job Bern,sounds like you thouroghly enjoyed the hunt!! How many #s ya shootin?   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2006, 07:45:00 PM »
It's a 45# @ 28" but I only pull around 27" (26" if I get tired, which is most of the time -   "[tunglaff]"  )

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2006, 08:08:00 PM »
Man , has I sit here 102 fever feel like crap a big bad cold, this brings a smile to my face , way to go Bernie!!! God bless ya bud!!marco#78:)  :D
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline CheapShot

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2006, 08:19:00 PM »
Way to go Bernie. Good job of staying after them. Like you said you can't kill em' sitting on the couch.   :thumbsup:
TNGIRL....
>>>>>>>>------------>>
Ye Olde Fartes and Sore Losers,
NGTA, TBG,
TGMM Family of The Bow,
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2006, 08:30:00 PM »

Offline countrygirl

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Charter Member
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2006, 01:04:00 AM »
Congratulations Bernie!!!!  Is that your ACS bow? My number is at the top of the list...and I am contemplating what to order.
"Gator n 'Dilla Killah"

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2006, 07:56:00 AM »
Yes, Dina, it certainly is ("Someone Special"). I've had her about three years now and still in love with her. Course they say the newer CXs are even better - (hard to believe). I've been (seriously) offered $1000.00 for mine about 6-7 times this last year. Much as I could use the money, I wouldn't sell it for twice - three times that. That's "our" fourth Deer together, BTW.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline flungonin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2006, 08:23:00 AM »
Way to go Bernie, your an inspiration to us all.

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2006, 08:32:00 AM »
Good on ya Bernie! I got room in my freezer if you need it!  :) .....O.L.
---Six NAA/FITA National and World flight records.----

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2006, 09:06:00 AM »
way to wackem and stackem! congrats

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2006, 09:24:00 AM »
OUTSTANDING KILLA! Wow bernie ya keep doing this you won't need to but any meat at the store. Great hunting Buddy.<><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2006, 11:46:00 AM »
Something tells me that bow is going to have a lot of notches on it.

Pretty cool stuff!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©