INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Hunters' Moon buck  (Read 4709 times)

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Hunters' Moon buck
« on: November 04, 2006, 07:24:00 PM »
Saw a thread earlier today by KSTrapper about all the firsts this year on TG. Well, I racked up a bunch of first for myself this evening. First with a Gillie suit, first from the ground, first antlered buck with a self bow, and a first on the eve of the Hunters' Moon.

Photobucket is timed out, so I'll start the tale and add some pics in a while.

I have been keeping my nose to the grindstone working on closing in my new shop building before winter. I headed out to the lumber yard around 10 this morning for some parts and had gone only a couple hundred yards down the road when I spied a nice mature buck following a doe - on my land!

It was almost too much, but I trudged on with my work and promised myself a couple hours off this afternoon. The problem with working for myself is that I can be a tough taskmaster, but not entirely unreasonable. After all, its the RUT!!!

About 2:20 I pulled the plug, took a shower and suited up in my lucky Filson pants (Bargain Cave), lucky Filson vest (gift from my sweetie) and Gillie jacket & hat - gift to myself after reading about them on TG. Checked myself in the mirror and decided to wear the Gillie mask too. Donned rubber boots, black gloves, quiver and "Good Night Irene" my horn bellied 58" ABC bow.

I'd had a frustrating incedent in SD a week ago with the bowstring hitting the not trimmed enough Gillie sleeve. I'd trimmed more and shot with it some since. Switching to this bow and wearing the suite had me thinking a short practice was in order. 15 yards, one arrow, center bullseye, no string slap - good to go. 3:30 time for hunting.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunters' Moon buck
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 07:36:00 PM »
Its amazing how the 150 yards from my house to the creek bank transforms my attitude from worldly matters to fully present hunter mode. I crossed the Old Mans' Creek which is running about a foot deep. As I climbed the far bank I stopped as my eyes crested the top. "Walk a little, look a lot," was Ishi's discription of still hunting. The south wind was not right for most of my stands and I had planned to work my way very slowly into the wind hunting from the ground.

It took me 30 minutes to go a hundred yards. The mask and hat cut down my hearing, so I was looking a lot. Movement to the east caught my eye. Maybe 150 yards away, a deer, flash of white antler.

I knelt and watched. A nice fat 3 year old buck was indeed headed more or less towards me. No book deer, but the decision to take the shot if offered was almost immediate. He was angling along the creek trail with his nose to the ground. If he kept on the trail he would pass at about 25 yards. If he stopped in a clear lane, I might take that shot, but would prefer closer.

As he got to 35 yards, still on the creek trail, I tried the grunt call. No reaction, louder, he stopped and looked right at me.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 07:50:00 PM »
I still had the grunt tube raised to my lips and without moving gave him another honk. He was staring right at me for a few seconds and then he came on a string. The Gillie suit worked! Open bottomland hardwoods and he must have figured the offending buck was just out of sight behind some brush beyond me.

He was moving with purpose, half speed walk and half trot. He came by at about 10 feet and the string came back and I swung the bow with his movement. My arrow suddenly appeard in his side, just behind the sholder about half way up. He poured on the gas and as he departed I could see my arrow sticking out both sides.

He went about 60 yards into the brush and I thought he stopped. Then more movement and was that a crash I heard?

What an adrenalin rush! Not 40 minutes into the hunt and an arrowed deer - up close and on the ground.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 07:57:00 PM »
Oh man this is neat.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 08:02:00 PM »
I made myself stay put and as I waited and the adrenalin subsided the usual doubts started to creep in. Was it too far back? It must have at least been a liver hit. I had not seen blood pumping out as he ran. Would there be a decent blood trail? Was that really a crash I'd heard through the hat and mask covering my hears or just the sound of running through brush?

After 15 minutes, I decided to check the trail as far as I'd seen him go. I moved in stalking mode in case it was a liver hit and he was laying down. At 50 yards I found the first sign.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2006, 08:05:00 PM »
Ah, photo bucket is partially up and runnig, got some of the pics uploaded.

The first sign I found at 50 yards

Not much blood, but enough to follow. Another 20 yards and I saw my yellow fletching ahead.

Offline longbowhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2006, 08:07:00 PM »
Way to go!!   :thumbsup:  

Looking forward to the the pics!!!
David

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2006, 08:07:00 PM »
Still not a lot of blood to follow, but enough. Another 20 yards and I found the place he had stopped. Blood coming out both sides, but he had not fallen or layed down.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2006, 08:14:00 PM »
The blood trail was real faint after this spot and when I could not make it out after another 15 yards, I took a break. Sat on a log and rolled a smoke. Took off the mask and hat, smoked and thought for a while. I could see 30 yards or more ahead and then there was dense brush. After my break I thought I'd better go home, get a good light, maybe call a friend to help track and regroup. I marked the last blood with a turkey feather that was on the path.

As I took the first few steps in a straight line for the creek and home, I saw white in a little dip in the ground ahead. Could it be? YES!!! Right there he had crashed on the run.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2006, 08:21:00 PM »
Neat Shaun, really happy for ya. That is so cool. 10 feet? With your Ambush bow no less. How cool is that? Dang I'm excited for ya.

That's a dandy buck and a great pic!

:thumbsup:    :notworthy:    :clapper:
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2006, 08:24:00 PM »
Great job!  :thumbsup:
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2006, 08:25:00 PM »
Noting like up close on the ground. Every deer is a special thrill but this is the closest one yet for me. Instinctive shooting is the only way I could have made this shot on a fast moving deer even at point blank. This is a typical 3 year old buck around here with his neck swollen for the rut. Still has the fat that they will lose by December - a fine eater. The arrow hit both lungs and did not hit the liver, just as well as I have been planning a pate de masion with fresh deer liver.

Still high on the experience and wanted to share with my TG family. Many thanks to all who have led me along this self bow, ground hunting path.

The full Hunters' Moon was rising as I finally made it home with my prize.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2006, 08:27:00 PM »
excellent Shaun!
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2006, 08:30:00 PM »
Thats awsome Shaun  :thumbsup:  Great story,10 ft now thats cool,Nice buck and nice picture.Great shot!!

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2006, 08:30:00 PM »
I loved every minute of it. Congratulations, big time, Shaun.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2006, 08:37:00 PM »
I'm happy for ya Shaun.  :bigsmyl:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2006, 08:48:00 PM »
Great story Shaun. There's really nothing like hunting them on the ground and getting close-really gets the blood flowing. Congrats!! God bless, Grodes
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2006, 08:59:00 PM »
that well make ya smile  :)

rusty

Offline Daniel Hugelier

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2006, 09:01:00 PM »
Awesome Job Shaun. I knew after hunting in SD with you that you were the dude of ambush! That'll eat as good as any deer; perhaps sweeter since you stalk him.

Congradulations, that horn belly osage is the genuine article,
Get out that Wine Merchant sauce for those tenderloins.

Chef Dan

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2006, 09:16:00 PM »
Way to go Shaun!!!!!!.....That's just too cool.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©