INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Kwyk Styk...Takes a Lickin' and a "Ticker" Too...story,video,and pix added..  (Read 5949 times)

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
...My KS is an amazing bow!!!  
 The result of my shot...check out the string and the skins....long story....I'll get to it.....

..Hint....Big "ticker".....

Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline mich-mtnman

• Trad Bowhunter
cant wait!
" still trying to look like a 300# leaf "

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
Looks like a big heart with a big hole! Excellent!
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Goodbye Shiner you were always a good dog.

Offline ky_longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
dont ell me youre bow limb hit youre stand on release?
hey im just guessing ----- or maybe it fell to the ground after the shot???
aaaahhhh ill just shut up and wait for the story-
if your not living on the edge,your taking up too much room!!
MEMBER-K.T.B.A.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
Limb twisted.... string bisects on the side...that had to be ugly. That happened on the shot? Egads it's a wonder you hit anything much less a big ol bucks heart.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
I know what happened to the bow! You got it strung backerds.  ;)
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Goodbye Shiner you were always a good dog.

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
Oh boy, is that limb one scary looking sight. I know you'll be able to fix it Curt, but the sight of that limb would have damn near broke me. That heart, on the other hand...  :bigsmyl:
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline BOFF

• Trad Bowhunter
What made the hole,- Snuffer, WW, ? Come on with the story!!! LOL.

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Congratulations Curt on the deer you killed.  I hope the bow is readily repairable.

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
KY,Mickey....you got it...on the shot!!! But I getting ahead of myself....

This morning was wicked windy...so I figured I'd head for a new spot where I'd found lots of acorns and rubs.....it's a small spot,but it looked good the time I scouted it. It's a real low spot surrounded by high ridges that funnel together in this hell hole!!

Got settled in the dark,the wind wasn't "too" bad,and mostly blowing in a good direction.

I was in my stand about 40 min. when I glanced behind me and noticed some movement.It was out of place with the wind blowing the bushes.It was in fact a deer.But as I raised my bino's it was out of site.As I searched with my bino's another deer walked into sight...it looked to be a small rack with crazy points. I grabbed my bow and grunted,he looked,but never budged...at this point I still hadn't had a real good look at him.

Then he bedded about 50yds away,and I saw the first deer come back into sight...a nice fat mature doe....I'm still up in the air about shooting this buck because I hadn't gotten a good look....but I was thinking about shooting the doe.

I'd set a goal this year to shoot a deer close to home so I could get back to my house and get my son to bloodtail it and find it. I thought this doe would be perfect.

She's coming right for me,feeding on acorns.As she feeds straight toward me,he gets up and starts over to check her out.I think that my earlier grunting had him thinking that another buck might be over close to where she was headed.

I finally got a real good look at him....he was a tank!! Not much for rack...lot's of character...but not very big.....but definately a mature deer...big head...swelled neck....a shooter in my book!!

Well she fed by and he turned around and went off out of sight...now I couldn't even shoot the doe as she was behind me...but close....

As I tried to get around to figure out a way to get a shot at her...I see him coming back...long story short..I had him within 20yds for at least a half hour and still couldn't get a shot....I couldn't help but smile.......I'll be back
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
He would get real close,but never offer a clear shot...we'd wander off a bit,25-30yds,and I'd get him back in with voice grunts.he'd come to look,but I just couldn't get the angle I wanted.

The doe had now wandered off to the south and if he went that way,I might get a shot.He finally turned at about 10-12yds and started to go behind me..I twisted around the tree as he went into a tiny opening,but he got thru before I could draw,he stopped on the other side of it...I twisted around some more...found a gap in the twigs,drew and released quickly......

....At the loose there was a loud "crack"...the bow almost went out of my hand....and the arrow whent out slow.....but I couldn't have placed it any better.....I'd hit my lower limb on my hand climber,I guess it was the awkwardness of the shot.

I knew the arrow went in enough to go out the back side,and as he bulldozed off I could instantly see the big 160 Snuffer was doing it's thing as blood was already gushing out...he was out of site in an instant...but seconds later I though I heard him crashing......I immediately started to pack up to get down and go get my father and my boy so he could track....I knew this was a bloodtrail a blind man could follow......I have some video's...I'll be back...
Curt } >>--->   

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
:bigsmyl:    :campfire:    :coffee:  Where's The Rest of It?
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
Come on Curt. We are waiting, as usual!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline ky_longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
i recognized that-ive seen it before-
aint pretty and the sound will make ya sick......
if your not living on the edge,your taking up too much room!!
MEMBER-K.T.B.A.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
Geez Curt...your first KS you dropped on the floor of my shop and almost had a heart attack...
Now you smash the limb on your climber...What is it with you and those Kwik Styks...But...ya gotta admit...you do find a way to kill deer with them...  :knothead:
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
Blew it up at the bunny hunt as well, tough bows though. It is 7:23 and we better get a story soon as it is my bed time. Shawn
Shawn

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
I'm with Shawn, It's getting LATE. Gotta hit the woods in the A.M. Let's have the REST
    P L E A S E

:pray:

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
Joe, Jack sure builds them well!!!

...I got a little ahead of myself again....I looked down at my bow and laughed.....I checked it out saw the snakeskin had somehow come off in spots(I needed to get it off anyway)...and the string had come around to the opposite side on the bottom limb...but no twist...it's just fine!!!

I also have to say that this should have been happening with Miss Faith in my hands.With only a week,arrows that weren't flying good...I just couldn't take a chance shooting something with her.I'm quite dissappointed,but maybe next time...

Got Dad and cade and I showed him how to get started and let him go as I video'd and helped when needed...Dad just hung back and watched....here's a couple clips.....

..and this one he finds it...Dad and I could already see it...it's at the top of the screen..then he sees it.....

It was a great experience for all of us,but it was especially a treat for my dad and I to watch Cade and to once again have the 3 generations together this year......

As you can see,his antlers definately don't match his age or body size,he has a giant head.......
..more to come....
Curt } >>--->   

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Dandy buck bud!love the hero pic , yeah buddy!!and with ur 2 best buddies! congrats   :thumbsup:      :goldtooth:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
Man, Thats some Great Pics... and one hell of a shot. Congrats Bud. You done good! Its good to see the family too.    :notworthy:      :clapper:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©