INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: SC Hogs with Dean Torges  (Read 3517 times)

Offline Dsturgisjr

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
SC Hogs with Dean Torges
« on: February 17, 2007, 12:44:00 PM »
Darryl and I videoed Van from Florida for MBB vol. 2. He covered solid form and face-walking techniques. Thanks again Van!

On the way home we got to hunt with Dean at the noted Miliston property. 19 square miles of bowhunting paradise. Everyone shot at least one hog and had a great time. I got to spend some time with Monty Browning and hope to do it again - what a great guy!

Still hunted into the wind everyday down in the big swamps.

Dean went over his boots one night and well- he stood around on the porch too long. LOL

I envy guys that live in hog country. We sure enjoyed ourselves. I would love to get one of those big old boars I saw, but couldn't close the deal on.

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: SC Hogs with Dean Torges
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 12:48:00 PM »
Awesome pics, except for the one of DEAN!!!!!!!

Looks like a great time.  When can we expect the MOTBBII to be out???

How did that new quiver work out for you Denny??
Gen 27:3  "Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;"

In His service,
Brian Rice

TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 12:51:00 PM »
Yeah, and I envy guys that get invited to hunt with the legends right down the road from me!  Thanks for sharing.....although that was more of Dean than I ever care to see again!  Just curious, does anybody know if Dean has caught a redfish.  When I bought his book years ago, he said he'd like to some day.  Just wonder if he's gotten around to it just yet.

Offline Dalebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 01:01:00 PM »
He Denny
I went with your advice and othered the exotic BW longbow, takedown with beaver grip, ironwood riser with birdseye over the carbon and boo and ironwood overlays on the face and back of the riser should be here around May:-)

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 01:02:00 PM »
Don't worry Denny...our hogs are taking root and we will be in "hog country" soon enough.

Offline Dsturgisjr

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 01:27:00 PM »
Carbon Caster, MBB 2 should be out by next fall. Are you talking about the bow quiver on Darryl's bow? I used a proto type all through deer season and it worked great. They balance nicely and don't torque as much as normal.

Duckbutt, I don't know if Dean has caught a redfish.

Dalebow, That sounds like a beauty!

Steve, Pigs in MI?

Offline Ghost Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 02:20:00 PM »
Nice one of Dean. I guess we know what he would look like in a mini now.   :eek:

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2007, 03:00:00 PM »
I like Dean but I didn't need to see that. LOL!
Got wood? - Tom

Offline TimBow2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2007, 03:35:00 PM »
looks like you guys had a "large time"

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2007, 05:57:00 PM »
Looks like a great time was had, excuse me, now I gotta go wash out my eyes  :eek:  

Nice legs Deano!!  :bigsmyl:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2007, 06:12:00 PM »
Denny, I thought you guys were coming by our place...I'm sittin here by the fire waitin..............
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2007, 06:27:00 PM »
It looks like you fellas went hog wild.   :D

It also looks like someone should have been hog tied.   :D

And last, but certainly not least, it looks like Dean hogged all of the action.      :bigsmyl:  

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2007, 06:28:00 PM »
Yeah if you had gone to biggies, you could have gotten a picture of Dean and Biggie with their pants off!!!  Man am I glad you didn't go there!
Gen 27:3  "Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;"

In His service,
Brian Rice

TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Dsturgisjr

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2007, 10:55:00 AM »
Carbon Caster LOL!!

Biggie, I should have called you. I didn't know if you could shoot. How are you doing?

Dean will be busy making sausage the rest of the winter.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2007, 04:32:00 PM »
Denny,

YES, hogs in Michigan.  The DNR has a shoot on sight order--they have been seen/taken in 20 some counties so far.  One almost 300 lbs was taken near Houghton Lake on opening day of rifle season.  I'll seee if I can find a link...

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2007, 04:39:00 PM »
http://www.biggamehunt.net/sections/Michigan/Michigan_Encourages_Hunters_to_

Shoot_Feral_Swine_11130609.html

http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?section=local&id=4082860  

http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?section=local&id=3628325  

http://www.michigan.gov/mda/0,1607,7-125--155729--,00.html  

Looks like we won't have to travel so far soon.  But then again I imagine the landowners will complain, but not let hunters on their land to fix their problem.  Better to get crop damage permits and shoot them in the guts all summer and let them lay...can you tell I just love the way the DNR has been handling things lately    "[dntthnk]"    ?

Offline Dean Torges

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2007, 10:15:00 AM »
Daggone, Denny. That's not a flattering photo of me with the redeye untouched.

Brought back three hogs and two that Monty kilt, so am in sausage mode now. Have four hams ready for the smokehouse midweek.

SHot another hog that I couldn't find, and it looked to be the best of all four shots. That's why I'm standing on the porch half nekked. Stanley Anderson and I put his two tracking dogs on its blood trail, and the dog in training, a menace to anything wild, a new addition to the team, for which I am responsible (long story, but I am its benefactor), a pit bull cross I named Slash that I found at Milston the year before as a half-starved weanling, a pitiful snarling worm-filled wretch with broken teeth from living off rocks and dirt, a pup that dared me to rescue it, a malevolent ingrate from its new position of health and vigor, ignored the blood trail and jumped a wholly innocent, large and untouched hog instead, tore after it and grabbed hold in ball-deep swamp water where I had only benefit of a four inch lockblade to finish it off. Was totally unprepared for this as had expected to find only a dead hog after a short dog-training run.

The legend of Slash begins. He proved twice on this hunt that when you cut him off the lead strap, you're guaranteed meat somewhere of some kind. Burger, most likely.

Was a great time with friends and wonderful companions.
"Carve a little wood, pull a few strings, and sometimes magic happens."  --Gepetto

Offline Flint Head

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2007, 11:39:00 AM »
OK Dean, this makes about three years now since I contacted you about getting me invited to this place... It looks like I will have to inform all of my fellow S.C. Troopers to hook y'all up with a little prize until the welcome mat is rolled out for me! Now if you will just kindly send me your car description and tag number...

Offline Dean Torges

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2007, 07:14:00 PM »
An S.C. Trooper is no one to fool with. I remember meeting one at the Piggly-Wiggly who called himself "Gator" when Doug Young and I came to Milston several years ago. Suspected he'd just got off the set of a Burt Reynolds movie where he'd served as technical advisor. Chilling experience.

I'm sorry for my negligence and guilty as charged. So, in full confession with no expectation of mercy, I drive a truck exactly like Denny Sturgis', and, coincidentally, my Michigan license plates are duplicates of his. Round up Gator and a few stalwarts for the lookout. You'll recognize me as the one who's always pointing "blankety-blank" (highly censored) cameras and popping flashbulbs in good peoples' faces.
"Carve a little wood, pull a few strings, and sometimes magic happens."  --Gepetto

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2007, 07:46:00 PM »
Way to go guys...congrats!  Thanks for sharing with the gang.....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©