INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Hog Hunting Time!  (Read 5803 times)

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hog Hunting Time!
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2007, 02:29:00 PM »
we did have some fantastic jalapeno and cheese sausage stick made from buffalo. It would make you slap your mama it was so good!!!!!!!!!!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2007, 02:53:00 PM »
Ray,  Don't give me that too cold and too windy!  I hunted Ossabaw Island this weekend and was into pigs everyday, morning and evening.  Even had some luck on my first Trad piggie - check out thread and photos on the TBG page:
 http://tradgang.com//noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=34;t=000279

Might have been a touch warmer, but a lot windier on the coast.  If a rookie like me fresh off knee surgery can do it, I think youse guys were just too busy eating!  Bet you had fun anyhow. Steve

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2007, 09:27:00 PM »
Just got unpacked, back to Cold New England from Cold South Carolina!  How cold was it?  Well when I left on thursday morning from Logan Airport in Boston, they had to de-ice the plane.  Then they had to use 2 different tractors to try and push it out from the gate.  When that didn't work...they De-Iced the plane from the tarmac.  It was frozen solid to the ground!  

So my trip to the warm south & hog huntin' had a very Cold Start!  Little did I know that that wasn't going to be the end of it...Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2007, 09:32:00 PM »
We had a blast.  Mel and Jeff both had........

Well, I don't want to give it away.......just ask Mel about the 7 dwarfs.   :biglaugh:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Irish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2007, 10:44:00 PM »
There was Sleepy, Doc, Grumpy, Dopey, Bashful, Happy - never did see Sneezy......not one of group weighed more than 60 lbs, and I chased those 6 pigs around for 3 days.  Finally got a shot at I think Grumpy.  18 yards, give or take, and just as I released.......lets just say Grumpy was not where I thought he was.....little buggers move quick!    :banghead:
Mel Riley

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2007, 07:35:00 AM »
"Cosmic" Ray & I must have walked 10 miles the first day pushing the hardwoods, pines, blackberry brambles, etc.  Saw plenty of sign but no hogs.  We all corned the water along side the roads to try to bring them out.  The next morning all the water was frozen over.  Seems like pigs don't like to break ice to feed  :)

The second night Ray & Terry set me up on a feeder.  Ray said there would be 9 small pigs coming to it as soon as it went off.  With in five minutes of it going off, a line of 9 pigs came trotting in.  I'd set up off the feeder in the tree line 30 yards from the feeder & 15 yards from the feeding circle.  Hunkered in my niffty seat all ready, I watched them all feed under it & on the far side.  That lasted 5 minutes and then they were gone.  The feeder was tilted away from me spreading corn to the other side.  They never came to my side and 30 yards on 20-60# pigs was more then I was ready to shoot.  I re-set the feeder and spread some corn near me hoping they'd come back.  About 1/2 hour before dark the conga line of 9 returned to feed under the feeder again.  Then 3 more little pigs joined in.  They still didn't come to my side.  The wind was right and they weren't spooked.  I watched as they started leaving again...first the gang of 9, then down to 3-2-and finally one little pig under the feeder.  I had paced off the distance to 30 yards so just before low light I took a shot.  The arrow flight looked good but the pig ran off unharmed.  Not having pig hunted before I sure had some learning to do, but Ray & Terry sure helped me break it all down.  I had a great weekend...good old & new friends.  Certainly more good food than the pigs eat  :)  

Mel, it was great to be huntin' with you again.  Ray & Terry, thanks for showing a rookie pig hunter a few tricks for the next time....Doc

"Cosmic" Ray

Some of you might know this guy!

TradGang of 4

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2007, 09:45:00 AM »
Thanks Guys it's sure good to be outta the snow for a few moments........  :clapper:    :clapper:  

I'll bet the three on the right know who the "VINILLA FUDGE" Were / Are   :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2007, 10:05:00 AM »
I like eatin' Vanilla Fudge...and I used to buy Vanilla Fudge records, if that's what you mean!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Irish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2007, 11:33:00 AM »
That IS the Vanilla Fudge - guy on the left is our new drummer.  :goldtooth:
Mel Riley

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2007, 12:12:00 PM »
Ray that fire that blackened your nose burnt all the hair off the top of your head!!!!!!!
Gen 27:3  "Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;"

In His service,
Brian Rice

TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2007, 12:33:00 PM »
Brian that was COLD...Good but COLD  :scared:  OOPS he's a MOD  :pray:    :pray:

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2007, 12:47:00 PM »
He looks a lot like my DAD!!!!!!  LOL!!!!!

Vance, can I call you GRANDPA????
Gen 27:3  "Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;"

In His service,
Brian Rice

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2007, 01:55:00 PM »
Inna gotta da vita, baby.........oh,sorry, that's Iron Butterfly, not Vanilla Fudge!

I'll have you know, Carbon, that I was struggling to stay warm and SET my hair on fire to keep my brain from freezin!

53 and still can kick a man's xxx, Iron Bull...er, say, just how big a boy are you, anyway?    :biglaugh:

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2007, 02:49:00 PM »
Carboncaster when I come to YOUR town I'm gonna have the camera ready, baby..and catch you with your drawers down or sumtin...then we'll see who has the last laugh!!! They don't call me "shutterbug" for nothin'!!!

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2007, 03:57:00 PM »
Uh......that's 'Cosmic Shutterbug' sir.

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2007, 04:05:00 PM »
I'm down wid DAT!!! We shouldn't tell the florida panther story, should we?

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2007, 04:08:00 PM »
LOL Ray, I read that and immediately heard it in a "Roy By God Mercer" accent....  :biglaugh:
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2007, 04:11:00 PM »
Hey, Terry/Mel/Jeff

Should we tell ole Vance about the fire-grilled pork chops an inch and a half thick topped with blackberry ketchup????

Or the inch and a half thick buffalo burgers with Dales Sauce on em, grilled to perfection, served on sourdough rolls with all the fixin's?

Or how about that peppercorn crusted New York Strip steak we had, with the loaded stuffed baked potatoes?

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2007, 04:16:00 PM »
Terry, did you have any close encounters with Spawn of Horsetail?  I know you got real personal with the Bride of Horsetail on a previous trip!
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2007, 04:19:00 PM »
Yes Ray.....we should tell him....and also about the slab bacon and the cheeze n Dale's scramble.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©