INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: virginia skwerl hunt!  (Read 21451 times)

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: virginia skwerl hunt!
« Reply #240 on: January 22, 2007, 03:58:00 PM »
Here is a temporary link to some video.  It takes awhile to load.  I'm having some problems with Photobucket.  I'm sorry for the audio the wind was awful as y'all know  You'll see the camera get blown over.

http://liveweb.pixpo.com/va.bowbender/pp?cmd=ch&guid=F6171C57833D4EE1BD8F76C293E26E77
Bows, Broadheads & Backstraps

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #241 on: January 22, 2007, 04:04:00 PM »
I hope your wife doesn't watch this with your imitation of her.  

Can you break this down into segments later?

Offline UK Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #242 on: January 22, 2007, 08:22:00 PM »
Thanks for the pics Chuck.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #243 on: January 22, 2007, 09:25:00 PM »
Chuck, those are great pics! (And getting the shots without folks realizing that you are getting the shots is one of the marks of a good photographer!) If you don't mind, I would sure appreciate having an emailed copy of your large-file original of the group. Could I trade you something for it?

I had such a good time there with everybody! Clark and I went to the Bob Evans at 6, and ate as much as we could hold. Then came the trek to the WMA, some 28 miles away. When we got there, all we found were trucks and cars. I set about perusing the county stickers to see if I could guess the owners. Tom and Chris Bohl and Chris' son Conner arrived, and we talked a bit before setting out in search of the scurrilous squirrels.

The Bohls headed off one way, and Clark and I went down across the dam and up the Nature Trail. We figured two things;
1) All the REAL hunters would have gone up the Squirrel Ridge Trail and
2) Animals on the Nature Trail would be less wary than the animals on the trail that hunters took.    :D    

And it was TRUE!! Not only were the animals on this trail more relaxed, they were sound asleep, snug in their holes in the boles! And when we went onto the Squirrel Ridge Trail, I ran into ncbowman and UK Archer. What gave me great pause in my trail-choosing theory, was what tipped me off to their presence in the first place. While I had thought that perhaps somebody was perpetrating some outrage upon the nether parts of some beleaguered mule, the braying that had aroused my concern was actually originating from the "guide" that these two unfortunates had engaged. I snuck closer to ascertain the exact nature of the poor equine's dilemma, and was both relieved and nauseated to find that I was actually tracking the obstreperous outpourings of our renowned SpringFlutter.

I hurled (almost    :p    ) the expected invective his way and we thumbed our noses as greeting.

We walked a bit up the trail, and shot a clump of grass to a bloody pulp. Walking on, we found a VERY squirrelly place, where more stump shooting broke out.

Forgive me my naiveté, but I still believed in my chances of finding game. My poor husband is even less worldly than I, and so, with our gallant dreams of mighty conquest and the fattening of our friends with the bounty that we would harvest from the Powhatan Pignuts, Clark with his horsebow and I with my K-Mag wended our way away from the pleasant company and Tommy, and off toward adventure in the hardwoods.

Oh, it's past my bedtime.
Killdeer    :archer:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #244 on: January 23, 2007, 10:36:00 AM »
Killie, PM me your email and I'll send you both group shots.

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #245 on: January 23, 2007, 02:24:00 PM »
Will someone please help me with the missing names?

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #246 on: January 23, 2007, 02:30:00 PM »
I believe the two missing are Chris and Connor.  I may be wrong.  I think Connor is the short muddy one.  :)

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #247 on: January 23, 2007, 03:56:00 PM »
Right as always, Chuck. Conner is Chris' son. Or maybe Connor is Chris' son. Maybe Chris can help me with the spelling. I don't spel two gud.

Killdeer

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #248 on: January 23, 2007, 04:52:00 PM »
Chris is the taller of the ? marks and the squirt to his right is Connor, his 10 year old son. I'm the one with the white fuzz on the chin. Enjoyed meeting everyone and had a good time stumpin'.
 We pught to quit deluding ourselves and just call it a Virginia Stump shoot instead of a squirrel hunt. Maybe then we might see some game, just like when you go deer hunting!
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #249 on: January 23, 2007, 05:34:00 PM »
Well, we can do this again in June.  This will be the first year there will be a June season.  We talked about it a little bit.  String Cutter said something about getting rooms at the local motel. I think camping is much better idea.
  :bigsmyl:   :campfire:  

All in favor say: AYE

Maybe  themonkey  can make it this time.

June 2-23, 2007   (Only on specific wildlife management areas listed below):

Amelia, Big Survey, Briery Creek, Chickahominy, Dick Cross, Dismal Swamp, Fairystone (including Fairystone State Park and Philpott Reservoir), Goshen, Havens, Hog Island (Carlisle Tract only), Horsepen, James River, Pettigrew, Phelps,  Powhatan , Thompson, Turkeycock Mountain, and White Oak Mountain Wildlife Management Areas.

Fox squirrels may only be harvested on Big Survey, Goshen, Havens, Phelps and Thompson Wildlife Management Areas.
Hunting squirrels with dogs is not allowed during the June season.

Offline themonkey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #250 on: January 23, 2007, 05:45:00 PM »
sorry vabowbender, wont be able to make june either, a week after i graduate ill be on a plane heading out west to b bar ranch to herd cattle before i start college in the fall
Don't deal with me, I stole from the St Jude's Auction.

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #251 on: January 23, 2007, 07:22:00 PM »
AYE on this end  :bigsmyl:
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #252 on: January 23, 2007, 08:35:00 PM »
I think themonkey is a figment of someone's...no, a  fixture  of someone's immaturation.  :knothead:  If I ever saw him, I would prolly beg a shrink to remove the hallucination.

Thompson is close to where I live. It is about 45 minutes west of DC. (hint, hint)

Killdeer  :archer:

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline nc recurveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #253 on: January 23, 2007, 08:49:00 PM »
Dismal swamp! we could get every trad ganger on this site a lifetime supply of cottonmouth skins for projects! we could shoot the mosquitos with the flu-flu, broadheads only as some of them would only anger at a judo hit. nah I'll be doing the offshore thing june I think the boat's booked all summer.
"You can't make chicken salad outta chicken sh.........Poo"

Offline UK Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #254 on: January 23, 2007, 08:49:00 PM »
Aye! I will come-a-stumpin'
We could try somewhere up in the mountains this time as it would be a tad cooler in June.

Adam

Offline themonkey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #255 on: January 23, 2007, 09:08:00 PM »
nope killdeer...unfortunatly i am real, ask tom! hes got visual evidence on his camera from 3d shoots!
Don't deal with me, I stole from the St Jude's Auction.

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #256 on: January 23, 2007, 09:10:00 PM »
Let me know what's decided, Would be interested.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #257 on: January 23, 2007, 09:11:00 PM »
And yes, the Monkey is not a figure of my imagination. He does exist!

Offline UK Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #258 on: January 23, 2007, 09:30:00 PM »
I am not sure that my Thermacell can handle the Dismal Swamp in June, I do have some 100% Deet though  "[dntthnk]"

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #259 on: January 24, 2007, 10:12:00 AM »
Goshen would be close to me.  Definitely cooler here in June.  The Maury is right next to it so some trout fishing could be done too.  Don't know how well they'll bite in June but it's possible.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©