INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Bowyer's Journal Southern Experience (Texas hog/javie hunt with pics)  (Read 6858 times)

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bowyer's Journal Southern Experience (Texas hog/javie hunt with pics)
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2007, 12:29:00 PM »
great thread so far!
keep it coming, please.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2007, 12:41:00 PM »
Keep it coming.  Some day, I'm going back to Texas.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2007, 02:49:00 PM »
Had a wonderful time! This was my first hunt for anything other than whitetails. I can safely say I'm hooked on javies!

Lot's of blown stalks for two days. The wind or lack of cover always messed me up. I was within compound range many times but just couldn't get a close shot opportunity. Finally on the last day, with less than two hours to go, I had both the wind and cover in my favor. I was able to shoot two javelina from the same group, one at 15yd and one at 20yd, with my Thunderhorn longbow. I was beyond excited!

I was still smiling when I shoveled off the walks this morning in a chilly 10 degrees. The sunburn blisters on my nose are a constant reminder of the warm temps and great time we had!
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2007, 03:01:00 PM »
Congrats Beastie,that's awesome!!!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :clapper:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Brian Halbleib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2007, 05:08:00 PM »

Bob spotted a group of javelinas on a sendero (road) as we drove by. We piled out of the truck, grabbed our gear and put together a plan. The wind was wrong so we stood at the end of the sendero to see if it would change directions.

After a few minutes, I decided to circle around to get the wind right, but that meant finding a path through the nasty stuff. And let me tell you, everything that grows out of the ground there will either poke you, sting you or cut you.

I was wearing a pair of leather Russell Moccasins with leather soles so I was able to creep back in there pretty quietly. I had to high step a branch and as I set my front foot down, my head moved forward around a bush and I saw at least 4 javelinas milling around. I couldn't believe I had snuck right in on them and they had no idea I was there, within 15 yards.

I've heard that these critters are pretty tough and seen great shots to the boiler room that had little effect on these critters, but when I saw one take a bite out of the prickly pear we've been avoiding like the plague, I knew EXACTLY how tough they are.

I crouched down, the javies worked their way towards me. Man it's thick in here, c'mon, step into an opening. They seemed to conveniently keep putting bushes, cactus and shrubs in between us, amazing.

Then I heard the barely audible thud of a bow releasing an arrow. Mike Yancey had snuck in from the other end and we converged on them. The herd scattered except for one old male, obviously standing point until the rest of the herd escaped. Two more steps and I would have a shot under 10 yards.

I stood motionless, waiting, wishing and praying for the javie to step into the shooting lane before breaking into full speed. As if my wish was granted, the javie made that very mistake and my osage longbow drove an arrow deep into the goodies. The Wensel Woodsman dropped the animal in it's tracks, and thank goodness. I've tracked through this stuff before and it's no fun.

It was sure special to share the experience with so many close friends. Especially with Mike, who built this bow for me last year and he happened to be right there when it all went down. I took this bow out several times over hunting season but things never worked out to get it bloody. Kind of glad now that it held off like it did. Thanks again Mike!

-Brian
 www.bowyersjournal.com

Offline Mike Yancey

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2007, 05:25:00 PM »
Hey Brian the pleasure was all mine and it was extra special to be there when you got to break the bow in. I love it when one of my bows takes game and I thank you again for the chance to be there. You gathered up a good group of guys.

I have some ideas on the big adventure we have been kicking around!
Mike

Offline Bob Hildenbrand

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2007, 05:33:00 PM »
Mike and Red...time to start kissin' butt to get on the list for next year:^) Great meeting you. Brian..what else can I say bro...thank you.

I was one of the real lucky guys. John Rook honored Jeff anf Reg and I by riding the whole way down in with us.

Offline redant 60/65

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2007, 06:02:00 PM »
Nice going Brian, Javelina are the best animal in the world to hunt. Talking about everything down there in Texas has a thorn on it, the last 10 years I have hunted in Arizona I have wore quail hunter pants, you can get them in green or brown.  :clapper:
Larry

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2007, 07:17:00 PM »
Great thread Brian...last year was amazing at the stories that came out on Trad Gang....there were so many running at one time it was hard to keep up with them all.  I've got my work cut out for me archiving them all to the 'Memorable Hunts' forum soon.

Hey!!!!!

See this pic..........

I've been there before....I took this pic...look familiar?

Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline LUCKY MAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2007, 07:28:00 PM »
Good Stuff !  Heading to Freer Texas next week for some javie chasing.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way
you cope with it is what makes the difference."

Online Doug S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2007, 07:53:00 PM »
Brian the Javilina's head looks odd. what's up?
Was he so old he was going bald?
The hunt is the trophy!

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2007, 08:10:00 PM »
Great story and pic Brian...congrats!!   :clapper:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2007, 08:20:00 PM »
Glad to hear you guys had a great hunt and a safe return home   :campfire:
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2007, 08:31:00 PM »
Good stuff fellas. Congrats Mike and Brian.   :thumbsup:
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Online Doug S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2007, 08:51:00 PM »
Brian  lots of blood there. What head did you use?  Any rabbits shot? Snakes?
The hunt is the trophy!

Offline Brian Halbleib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2007, 09:04:00 PM »
Thanks guys. There's plenty more coming. Last I heard we had a total of 11 javies, one hog and a pile of rabbits. If they don't stop by soon, I'll start posting pics and they can fill in the blanks later...

Doug, I used a Wensel Woodsman on that javie. Dropped him in his tracks. Curtis said it looked like he had some kind of big growths or warts on his head. He was a very old dude, extremely gray. I didn't see one snake and don't remember hearing anyone else seeing any. It was still a little chilly at night (chilly in Texas terms).

-Brian
 www.bowyersjournal.com

Online Doug S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2007, 09:08:00 PM »
Never mind I just re-read the story.(Wensel Woodsman)  :knothead:  
 Samuel (my boy) says good job!  :clapper:
The hunt is the trophy!

Offline rabbitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2007, 09:09:00 PM »
Good stuff Brian and Mike.  Looking forward to more pics.  I'll be seeing Curtis next month...can't wait.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2007, 07:29:00 AM »
One of the guys said javelina reminded him of his exwife. Brian's might remind him of her mother! LOL

I was anxious to smell the odor put off by javelina. I have been reading about these critters for years but there is no way to accurately describe an odor. Well, on my first stalk I apparently ticked one off. He was chattering his teeth and putting off the offensive odor. I soon found out if you can smell them, the wind is right and they can't smell you.

They've got a face only a mother could love, they stink, a bad attitude, and a mouth full of nasty teeth. Perfect stickbow prey!
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2007, 08:03:00 AM »
Originally posted by Red Beastmaster:

they stink, a bad attitude, and a mouth full of nasty teeth. Perfect stickbow prey!
Jeez you forgot all about the fleas   :biglaugh:
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©