INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Bowyer's Journal Southern Experience (Texas hog/javie hunt with pics)  (Read 6853 times)

Offline Brian Halbleib

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bowyer's Journal Southern Experience (Texas hog/javie hunt with pics)
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2007, 11:22:00 AM »
Well, you saw Mike and Bob putting a stalk on some javies at the start of this thread. Here's the outcome of one of Bob's:

-Brian
 www.bowyersjournal.com

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2007, 11:49:00 AM »
Congrats Bob!   :thumbsup:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Zano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2007, 12:13:00 PM »
Brian, glad you had a great time down here.  South Texas holds a charm all to its own, and well deserved.  Congrats on your groups trophies.  -Zano
"You never can tell the depth of the well by the length of the handle on the pump." ~ Jim Willis...Test pilot & horse trainer extraordinaire

Offline Brian Halbleib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2007, 12:46:00 PM »
Adam Keiper (AK in PA) is known around PA for some of his famous "doubles" on deer back home here. Well, south Texas would be no different. Adam makes some of the finest selfbows I have ever seen.

-Brian
 www.bowyersjournal.com

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2007, 04:23:00 PM »
Adam and I have hunted pheasants together and I can attest to his fine shooting skills on winged creatures as well   :)
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline Deer Slayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2007, 04:45:00 PM »
Man!...Looks like some killin was going on down in TX! Way to go fellas! Keep the pics and stories coming!  :thumbsup:

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2007, 06:06:00 PM »
Real nice thread! Thanks for taking the time to share with all.

You guy's are very lucky to share a great hunt and time!
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline Brian Halbleib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2007, 08:08:00 PM »
Ken "Hank" Williams made a great shot on this javie after crawling on his hands and knees to get into position.

-Brian
 www.bowyersjournal.com

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2007, 09:51:00 PM »
Congrats Adam and Ken!!!

Dang I wanna get back down to hunt them buggers   :pray:
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Walkingstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2007, 11:42:00 PM »
nice stuff Brian, glsd to see ole bob out having fun with you again. He probably enjoys himself when Roy isn't around to hide something on him..LOL....Mac~
" I always hunt with two other companions even though I mostly hunt alone - God and my dad."
God's love is like an ocean..one can see the beginning but not the end.

Offline Reg Darling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2007, 08:03:00 AM »
It was a great time. Hunting javelina is like enrolling in Game Stalking 101. Lots of opportunities to spot animals, sneak up on them, blow it, get another opportunity, try again, and finally make it happen.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2007, 09:36:00 AM »
You are right about that Reg. I had more action in one weekend than I've had in a lifetime of hunting.

Adam and I are of kindred spirit. We are both groundhog hunting fanatics. We noticed the relation between sneaking down a hayfield edge for sod poodles and stalking javies along a sendero. Both are pretty exciting, and if the stalk is blown, no problem, another opportunity is right around the corner.

Dave
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Adam Keiper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2007, 07:57:00 PM »
On the first afternoon, I hooked up with Harry Christiansen, Reg Darling, and Roger Garrett.  We had a grand time stillhunting through South Texas brush country.  Harry and Reg paused long enough for me to snap this photo as dusk approached.

Offline Adam Keiper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2007, 08:07:00 PM »
We spotted some javies and split up for a group stalk.  We barely got within coyote range and the javies spooked.  About 10 minutes later, I heard them grunting the bush.  With a flurry of arm signals, we fanned out and moved in after them.  In total, I saw about 2 dozen javelinas trying to sneak single file out the back door.  I closed the gap to 20 yards on many of them, but there was always a cactus or bush between us.  Finally, I manuevered within range of one in the open.  He saw me though, and on release, he turned and ran clear of my arrow.  I would not have believed a pig-like creature could move so fast had I not seen it for myself.  Fast devils, I tell you.  Fast!  Not even this rabbit moved so quick.

Offline Adam Keiper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2007, 08:23:00 PM »
When we first arrived in Texas, the endless miles of flat cactus and mesquite country didn't impress me in the same way as my home scenic Appalacian vistas.  My first excursion into this new and strange terrain was met with a painful introduction to South Texas flora.  If it grows in South Texas, it WILL either prick or stick you.  (It's not until you've been there, that you can you understand that subtle distinction.)  After a couple of hours, however, the terrain began to grow on me.  Strongly.  The brush country has a deep, but subtle beauty that isn't easily noticed at 55 mph.  You have to get out and get in it to feel it and appreciate it.

Offline Adam Keiper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2007, 08:30:00 PM »
The next morning, we awoke to find a Rio Grande gobbler roosted 150 yards from camp.  As our group of groggy-eyed hunters filtered out the door, none could resist resist giving a few mouth clucks.  I think we all felt pretty good when we each excited the turkey into gobbling.  Then Jeff walked out the door and gave the gobbler an insincere, "Here turkey, turkey, turkey!"  When the Tom erupted, he brought a roar of laughter from our group and a hammer down on our egos!    :knothead:  

Offline Adam Keiper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2007, 08:39:00 PM »
John Rook amazed me.  Blindness has not stopped him from being a successful bowhunter.  I couldn't help but to barrage him with questions on how me makes selfbows.  With Gary Davis' instruction, this extraordinary man also twisted a flemish bowstring, which Gary used the next day.  I believe he killed a pair of rabbits with it.  I thoroughly enjoyed his company.

Offline Adam Keiper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2007, 08:42:00 PM »
The rabbits proved to be frequent fun.  I snapped a photo Reg pestering them along one of the many miles of senderos.  

Offline Adam Keiper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2007, 08:48:00 PM »
Dave Lohr and I had the pleasure of bloodtrailing this javelina killed by Dan Hugelier.  We enthusiastically trailed the javie for 50 or 60 yards, where Dan spotted it laying 15 yards away in an impenetrable tangle of thorny brush and cactus.  At that point, I promptly volunteered to hold Dan's bow.    ;)    Dan emergered from the thicket with the javelina, leaving a blood trail of his own that rivaled that of the javelina.  Congrats Dan!

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2007, 09:29:00 PM »
Great stuff guys,keep it coming!
Curt } >>--->   

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©