INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Ice Storm Hunting...........  (Read 3262 times)

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ice Storm Hunting...........
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2008, 12:05:00 PM »
ha ah thats a winner nice going, tip of the hat to you!
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2008, 12:54:00 PM »
You look very comfortable Dave....glad you had a chance to spend some time in the woods after that storm. Nice pics......
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2008, 06:27:00 PM »
Jeff I didn't climb into the stand until I had melted all of the ice off first, I've got some marbles loose but not enought to do that!!!!

Considering the conditions Joe I was fairly comfortable, I spent about four hours in that stand, but had layered properly and had chemical feet, hand and body warmers everywhere!  

Marc, Jeff and Paul....keep after them, I know I would if I was down there.

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline PV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2008, 08:43:00 PM »
Will do David.Got out this afternoon.

Finally after two months of watching these does a shooter was following. Tippets arrow is on the string. The buck is a high, wide (better than 20' inside) 8pt and only interested in the does....

Mama stops to look for me. We've been watching for each other since the second week in October.For now the wind is right.She's doing the head bob and although nervous not stamping her feet. After 20 minutes of this the buck begins to get ansy. He comes up the run ears forward and  lifting his head high to catch any scent of what has the doe concerned. He stops facing forward at 10 yds. Doesn't take him long to decide something isn't to his liking. He turns 1/4ing away and I stop him at 15 yds with a voice grunt.
I check the does before drawing the bow. Their attention is on the buck....

Now the bark on that maple doesn't look abit like the hair I was concentrating on
  :rolleyes:  but after sawing Tippets broadhead out of the tree and a few licks on the stone it's shaving hair and ready to go tomorro.

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2008, 04:28:00 AM »
Thanks for the tips. We're getting a ice storm here right now. Hap

Offline Downsouth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2008, 06:49:00 AM »
That's awesome, got a smile from your pics!

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2008, 08:48:00 AM »
From your pic, you remind me of Mikey in the Christmas Story movie.  Thank goodness you didn't fall down...You'd never been able to get up.  They wouldn't have found you until spring.   :bigsmyl:  

Grat pics and nice story.  Sorry you didn't get one.  Tracking in snow is a lot of fun.
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2008, 09:04:00 AM »
Paul, It was probably the dang broadhead...forgot to tell you they fly a little funny in the cold  :D   Had a doe at dark come by but just couldn't risk the shot even though she was highlighted against the snow.  I'll be out again today but forecast for 12" of new snow staring this afternoon.  If I get a shot I'll be trying to run the deer down...no letting 'em sit with snow coming down!  tippit
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline PV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2008, 10:01:00 AM »
Arrow flight looked great until it caught the tree Jeff. Think it was a case of operator error. Very impressed with the steel. Head was buried up to the last hole in wood.Cracked the epoxy so I recentered and reglued  and is ready for another go.
No action this morning so product testing will have to wait

Good luck this afternoon.....
No ice in the forecast

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2008, 10:33:00 AM »
doc says the best thing for my back is walking.  he DIDN'T say I couldn't bow along!   :)

I might try tomorrow after the snow.  they're saying light and fluffy 12" or so....so hopefully I can shuffle through it...    :)
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2008, 11:23:00 AM »
That's a trophy tree compared to the one I killed Paul!

Good luck you guys, tomorrow might be pretty good sandwiched between these two storms.......

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Shape Shifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2008, 06:41:00 PM »
Awesome pics. Sweet looking bow and quiver as well. How do you like those quivers?
"Effort only fully releases its rewards after a person refuses to quit"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©