INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: GOOD BUCK RIDING IN THE TRUCK!  (Read 4777 times)

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
GOOD BUCK RIDING IN THE TRUCK!
« on: November 13, 2008, 10:35:00 AM »
Hey guys, not the big one I was hunting in early October, but too nice of a buck to pass up (for me.....not you Gene, Barry, and Bryce!)  Got him on Veterans day.  I'd rather be lucky than good any day!

Offline mastin03

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: GOOD BUCK RIDING IN THE TRUCK!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 10:37:00 AM »
:clapper:    :clapper:
Passin' on advice from my old man, "Keep your feathers dry."

Offline mbbushman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 10:38:00 AM »
Yeah, I wouldn't have let him walk either!!!! Good job!

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 10:40:00 AM »
Shot him on Public land with a 55lb. Dakota recurve, and a Wensel Woodsman head.  15 yard shot.  Double lunged him, and he went 60 yards or so.  He is a basic 5x5 with a sticker on his left side making him a 5x6.  He has fairly short tines, and 3 of them are broken off at the tips, from fighting, but he has good width.  21 5/8 inches inside spread.  Heavy body too, with a big swollen neck.  I had seen this buck 2 times previously.  I also shot a doe 30 minutes before I killed the buck.  26 yard shot.  Double lung, went 50 yards.  Same equipment as posted above.

Offline PBNJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 10:40:00 AM »
Nice buck Jon! What did he weigh? Looks like at least 170 lbs. Got a quick story for us? Same area as that double drop tine monster in your avatar? Congratulations! You know what you're doin pal! Paul

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 10:51:00 AM »
Forgot to mention, I've been hunting my butt off!  (not that it's a bad thing).  I logged 130.5 hours in a treestand before I shot these deer.  I'm on vacation now and have a few days left, so I'm going to make the best of it!

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 10:52:00 AM »

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 10:54:00 AM »
Congrats Sir!!!!!    :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:  

Please resize you pics to no more than 640 pixels wide....as anything over that is now being regected. Thanks
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Ybuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 10:55:00 AM »
Congratulations!  :thumbsup:   Thats a GREAT buck! Nice shoot'n on both deer.  :clapper:
Steve.

Offline DRR324

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 10:55:00 AM »
Big Congrats Bud!  Yeah- he may be peanuts for the Boys, but for the rest of us "mere mortals", he's a keeper!!!!  :thumbsup:
Pittsley Predator Classic
53# @ 28"
Easton Axis FMJ Camo-400's w/150g RazorCaps

"Dad, know what I like most about deer hunting?  The adrenaline rush you get when you know your going to get a shot at one"- my son Tyler after his first miss..

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 10:57:00 AM »
Oh, sorry Terry.  I'll try that.  Hang on.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 11:02:00 AM »

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 11:10:00 AM »
Niceeeeeeeeee

Jer BEar

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 11:12:00 AM »
No worries Jon....its just that will so many people on here now, the over sized pics are a real pain.

Congrats again, and thanks for understanding.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2008, 11:24:00 AM »
Sure Paul, here is a quick story.  I was hunting a very big buck in early October.  Had him in range once but he never offered anything other that I quartering too shot, so I let him go.  Saw him again a few days later.  He was living in a very small patch of brush out in the middle of a corn field.  I hunted him hard, but eventually the landowners took the corn out and all of the deer vacated the area due to lack of cover.  So I moped around a little.  I worked my but off at my job this summer so I could take this week off.  I began living in my camper and hunting a public area that I had hunted the last 3 season.  This area is tough because the ground is flat as a pancake.  Anyway, the last 3 years I have noticed that most of the bucks I have seen in the area I was hunting normally pass by one particular tree.  I hit the jackpot.  I could not hunt the tree without an East wind, so I took up a stand nearby but where I could see the tree I really wanted to be in.  I saw some decent bucks, and most eventually passed by that tree.  I saw the buck I shot twice in 2 days, and both times he went right by the tree I wanted to be in.  The forecast was for an east wind on Veterans day, so I forgoed an afternoon hunt to prepare my tree.  It was a big pine.  Had to do a lot of cutting/prunning to get my stand in it.  Used the cuttings to build a little nest around my stand, and then backed off.  Got in there an hour before light on Vets day planning to hunt without comming down out of the tree.  It was kinda rainy, and wet and cold. The doe came through around 4:00 PM and I had not taken a deer yet this season so when she offered me a shot I let her have it.  I could see my arrow lying on the ground covered in blood so I felt sure she was down.  I decided to "hang in there" 20 minutes or so later here comes the buck.  He sniffed the bloody arrow lying on the ground, and could care less.  He made his way towards me but was coming head on to my tree! NOT AGAIN!  Eventually he turned and was going to pass my tree on my left side.  He was walking fast and when his head went into my shooting lane I grunted to stop him.  By that time I was already at full draw.  Took my time and concentrated really hard.  Saw the arrow hit just a few inches off from where I was aiming, but immediatly saw blood.  He did not know what hit him.  He ran in a circle, and then ran back the direction he came from, and I thought I heard him crash.  We waited 2 hours to track to be sure, but it was not needed. He did not go far.  After I yelled and screamed and jumped for joy a few times, we started making my way back to my stand to track the doe.  We only went about 40 yards from where my buck way lying and there she lay dead!  No tracking necessary!  I was thrilled to say the least.  I have hunted really really hard this season without much to show for it.  It's amazing how your season can turn around in just seconds.  I guess this story was not so short afterall!  Good luck out there guys.

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2008, 11:25:00 AM »
Nice congrads   :thumbsup:
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline Zenzele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2008, 11:27:00 AM »
Nice Deer!!    :thumbsup:  
Good hunting   :clapper:
'It's better to have less thunder in the mouth, and more lightning in the hand.' - Apache proverb

Offline Raven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2008, 11:31:00 AM »
Nice shooting!! Congrats on two fine deer on the same day out of the same tree 1/2 apart.  :thumbsup:    :notworthy:    :notworthy:

Offline oldway

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2008, 11:47:00 AM »
Congrat's,nice Deer.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2008, 11:54:00 AM »
That's a bruiser!  Great shot on both deer Jon!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©